PDA

View Full Version : Tesla Motors to show off electric sedan next month

torchbearer
02-12-2009, 02:35 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10161459-54.html

February 11, 2009

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20090211/Tesla_credShankland-2_610x406.jpg

Electric luxury car company Tesla Motors is on target to be profitable and to demonstrate a "street-drivable" prototype of its next car next month: the Model S sedan.

CEO Elon Musk sent out a detailed update to subscribers of its monthly newsletter, boasting about a backlog of orders for its Tesla Roadster sports car and assuring company watchers that the company is on sound financial footing.

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk in a Roadster

(Credit: Tesla Motors)
"We remain on track with our cost reductions and production ramp, so it appears highly likely that Tesla will meet the goal promised to those investors of becoming profitable by mid year," Musk wrote.

The company raised $40 million in December last year and at the same time admitted to being low on cash. It also had to scrap plans to raise money through an initial public offering on the stock market.

Musk said the company plans to show off a prototype of the Model S on March 26 at the California factory of SpaceX, Musk's space tourism venture.

The Model S is a four-door, all-electric luxury sedan that Tesla expects to start manufacturing in 2011. A ballpark price the company has stated is $60,000. The list price on the Roadster is $109,000.

In a significant financial development, Musk said that Tesla expects to receive $350 million in Department of Energy loans to build a factory for the Model S within four to five months.

Company representative Rachel Konrad said that Tesla's DOE loan application is in the "later stages" but the company has not yet gotten confirmation that it will receive the loan. "The DOE is evaluating Tesla's financial viability and technical merits. The DOE is doing its due diligence, and we are very optimistic about a relatively expedient timeline for disbursal of funds," Konrad said in a statement.

In an interview last Friday, Energy Secretary Steven Chu said he is trying to expedite the loan-granting process at the DOE in an effort to revive the economy.

Musk said that the Roadster is sold out for 2009, meaning that Tesla has received orders for all of the cars that it can produce. The Tesla Roadster Sport, which accelerates a tad faster than the Roadster, is set for delivery in late June.

It has reached agreements to open Tesla-owned stores in Chicago and London's Knightsbridge district and is plans to open outlets in Manhattan, Miami, Seattle and Munich.

Musk also detailed a battery-swapping program for current owners, where they can prepay to get a discount for replacement battery after seven years.

The life and durability of batteries is something of an unknown for electric vehicle manufacturers and customers, leading some automakers to consider battery-upgrade programs.

"One of the top questions customers ask about the Roadster is, 'How long will the battery last and what will it cost to replace?' Tesla engineers have determined that a Tesla battery pack should last approximately seven years or over 100,000 miles under normal use," Musk said.

ihsv
02-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah. That's gonna sell like "I Love Pelosi" t-shirts at a gun show.

Cool technology, though.

torchbearer
02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah. That's gonna sell like "I Love Pelosi" t-shirts at a gun show.

Cool technology, though.

What I love about the idea of electric cars... is that you are not tied down to one commodity and you already have an infrastructure in place to deliver service without much headache like hydrogen cars would bring...

M House
02-12-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm really not thinking the hydrogen powered cars are gonna get very far. Well lets see what tesla can cook up here.

pcosmar
02-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Cool looking car.
Unfortunately it would be a worthless decoration where I live.

torchbearer
02-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Cool looking car.
Unfortunately it would be a worthless decoration where I live.

You don't have electricity?
Or is every trip you take over 300 miles?

torchbearer
02-12-2009, 03:55 PM
$60,000 isn't bad considering the main cars are around $200,000.
But the specs are awesome.
These cars run as good as gasoline cars.

M House
02-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Wonder if they gonna start applying those super caps to replace the battery packs.

pcosmar
02-12-2009, 04:09 PM
You don't have electricity?
Or is every trip you take over 300 miles?

Very rural area.
Over 300 miles from he Detroit Metro area.
A round trip to any large city would be over 300 miles
My driveway is 1/4 mile of rough dirt road.
Low ground clearance. Could not survive my driveway in the summer. Worthless in the winter.
I have 6 months of winter.;)

torchbearer
02-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Very rural area.
Over 300 miles from he Detroit Metro area.
A round trip to any large city would be over 300 miles
My driveway is 1/4 mile of rough dirt road.
Low ground clearance. Could not survive my driveway in the summer. Worthless in the winter.
I have 6 months of winter.;)

Wouldn't biodiesel be a bad fuel for cold areas?
Wouldn't it gel up?

torchbearer
02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Wonder if they gonna start applying those super caps to replace the battery packs.

Not sure, I've never seen any of these cars up close and personal.
If I was a wealthy man, i'd have one.

M House
02-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Some of the newer turbo-diesels are excellent. I'm pretty sure we can do alotta things and have them work. However, then there's the "plug-in hybrids".

pcosmar
02-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Wouldn't biodiesel be a bad fuel for cold areas?
Wouldn't it gel up?

That is one of the problems. Though I like the Idea of it. Had thoughts of converting My Trooper to LP, but don't have the $$$ right now.
Would still like to see Hydrogen mass marketed. Conversion is possible.
It just needs the market to be ready.
Now if someone would make a beefy 4WD Electric truck. lol

axiomata
02-12-2009, 04:25 PM
I've been rooting for Tesla for a long time, but they are having trouble getting financing for factories last I heard.

torchbearer
02-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I've been rooting for Tesla for a long time, but they are having trouble getting financing for factories last I heard.

their cars a little out of the affordable range too.
If they were producing these things at a profit for $20,000... they'd take over the market.
An electric car that looks freakin' awesome.
Gets good performance.

CaseyJones
02-12-2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/batesmethane.htm