PDA

View Full Version : Dude. Where's My Pool?

robert4rp08
02-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I just got notice that my apartment building's pool will not be open this summer. It prompted me to write a blurb on my new blog. (Digg if you like it please :D (http://digg.com/political_opinion/Dude_Where_s_My_Pool))

Dude. Where's My Pool? (http://distractiblehominid.blogspot.com/2009/02/dude-wheres-my-pool.html)
My apartment building has a swimming pool available to its tenants. This year, the pool will be closed because "it is too expensive to maintain". Obviously the economic conditions have worsened in the past year, but that is why the management company increased the rent-- to offset the increase in operating costs. However, I suspect that pool maintenance is not covered in those costs because of a new law that went into effect this year.

The Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:S.1771:) is a sweeping Federal law that requires all public swimming pools and spas be equipped with 'anti-entrapment drain covers and pool and spa drainage systems'. Pools with just one drain must have a second drain system or external shut-off.

Saving people from drowning sounds like a great idea, but consider the following:
First, this is a retroactive law requiring that 'public' pools and spas be modified to meet these standards. This law applies not only to pools and spas maintained by the state, but also to those privately owned and operated, e.g., hotels, private clubs, apartment buildings, etc. Implementing the new drainage system is estimated to cost anywhere from $1,000 to $15,000 per pool. The money is to come from taxpayers and consumers. States are eligible for Federal grants for partial cost coverage. Private entities will have to reach into their own pockets. In the current economic climate, that's a heavy burden on everyone. The consequence is pools shutting down due to lack of available funds.

Second, this law bans the manufacture, sale or distribution of drain covers that don't meet anti-entrapment safety standards and applies to all new portable hot tubs sold for backyard use by consumers. This forces hot tub manufacturers to completely redesign and remanufacture their products, which will ultimately lead some to go out of business resulting in loss of jobs, higher prices, etc.

Third, deaths due to drain suction are a rare occurrence. It is estimated that one person dies because of pool or spa drain suction in a year. The only reason this law came to fruition was the 7-year-old granddaughter of former Secretary of State James A. Baker died after being sucked onto a spa drain in 2002.

So this summer, while sitting next to a waterless pool or spa, you can take solace in knowing that your sacrifice will prevent ONE person from getting sucked onto a drain and drowning to death.

Actually, perhaps swimming, boating, and all water-related activities should be banned outright. According to the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/drown.htm), 4,292 people drowned in 2005, which equates to 12 drowning deaths per day. That's a lot of lives that can be saved!

Primary source of information was this article at CNSNews (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=40876).

heavenlyboy34
02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
You might be able to renegotiate a lower rent payment if you lose pool access, though. ;)

robert4rp08
02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
You might be able to renegotiate a lower rent payment if you lose pool access, though. ;)

Ah, I forgot to mention that. I tried. Management said 'pool privileges are not included in the rent'. lol

Xenophage
02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Guess what? People will still die in pools.

Primbs
02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I moved into a place in the winter thinking we would be using the pool in the summer, and it never opened.

It felt like a bait and switch. Entice the renters to the complex using the pool and the enticement and then not mentioning to the tenants that the pool is not used anymore.

Deception by omission.

robert4rp08
02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Guess what? People will still die in pools.

That's why all water-related activities should be banned!

ihsv
02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Sooo.... a big hole in the ground is safer than a big hole in the ground with water in it, eh?

Rael
02-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Ah, I forgot to mention that. I tried. Management said 'pool privileges are not included in the rent'. lol

Bullshit. I don't know what your lease says, but I bet the apartment brochures had a nice picture of the pool in it. they are not providing all the services they led people to believe they would get. and if pool privileges were not in the rent how was it being paid for before? out of their own pockets? :rolleyes:

RideTheDirt
02-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Why not ban living? you have to live to die...

asimplegirl
02-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Start a petition among tenants to bring to the management, that the large hole in the earth that has a concrete bottom is a health risk,as someone can fall in and seriously injure themselves or die, and that they want their rent lowered.

If you could stick it in there somehow that they would be willing to leave their lease over this, that'd be even better.

They will either fix the damned pool, or they will fill it with cement. I guarantee you the extra drain will be cheaper than a gajillion gallons of cement. :D

mconder
02-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Actually, perhaps swimming, boating, and all water-related activities should be banned outright. According to the CDC, 4,292 people drowned in 2005, which equates to 12 drowning deaths per day. That's a lot of lives that can be saved!

Wow...that's nearly as high as gun related deaths. Your right, it should be banned...for the children.

robert4rp08
02-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Start a petition among tenants to bring to the management, that the large hole in the earth that has a concrete bottom is a health risk,as someone can fall in and seriously injure themselves or die, and that they want their rent lowered.

If you could stick it in there somehow that they would be willing to leave their lease over this, that'd be even better.

They will either fix the damned pool, or they will fill it with cement. I guarantee you the extra drain will be cheaper than a gajillion gallons of cement. :D

I don't see management as the problem. The stupid law is the problem. Someone is circulating a flyer to urge management to comply with the law. My response was to leave notes on the flyer and post it near the mail box.

robert4rp08
02-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Bullshit. I don't know what your lease says, but I bet the apartment brochures had a nice picture of the pool in it. they are not providing all the services they led people to believe they would get. and if pool privileges were not in the rent how was it being paid for before? out of their own pockets? :rolleyes:

*shrug*