PDA

View Full Version : GOP: What if I become chair of my local Republican Party?

Matt Collins
02-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Well some things have taken place see this - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=179144

And it appears that the Ron Paul supporter we wanted to run for the chair of our local Republican Party is not going to run. He would've been perfect for it but for his own internal reasons he has bowed out. I think at this point I will be the one running for chairman.

It's very likely that not only will I win, but that we'll also get most of the slots on the executive committee filled with fellow Ron Paul Republicans. In other words we'll probably DOMINATE our local county party.

If that happens, then what? What should we do? Ideas? Suggestions?

surf
02-11-2009, 11:07 PM
issue weekly (or every other week) updates via email. our County chair does it, and they're always horrible: nothing on TARP but a blathering scathing essay on the evil Ds for bailing out Detroit.

of course, focus on something local and always offer a logical freedom-based argument. don't parrot the party line - and i'm sure you wouldn't. but use this platform.

good luck.

Jeremy
02-11-2009, 11:13 PM
whos gonna tell another RPer no to a question like that? lol

angelatc
02-11-2009, 11:14 PM

You're the leader. Lead.

heath.whiteaker
02-11-2009, 11:15 PM
This is great news. I wish you luck my friend. Communication is key to everything. If you can make it easier for people to know what is going on in the local REC and local politics.... maybe even a summary of items passed it would be great.

Matt Collins
02-11-2009, 11:16 PM
issue weekly (or every other week) updates via email. our County chair does it, and they're always horrible: nothing on TARP but a blathering scathing essay on the evil Ds for bailing out Detroit.Yeah, great idea. A newswire sort of thing sent out weekly. This would highlight stories that are important, relevant, and can serve as a mouthpiece of liberty oriented viewpoints.

Arklatex
02-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Legalize hemp farming in the county.

angelatc
02-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Yeah, great idea. A newswire sort of thing sent out weekly. This would highlight stories that are important, relevant, and can serve as a mouthpiece of liberty oriented viewpoints.

The head of the MI GOP sends one out daily.

If nothing else it keeps your name out there in front of them.

lynnf
02-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Well some things have taken place see this - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=179144

And it appears that the Ron Paul supporter we wanted to run for the chair of our local Republican Party is not going to run. He would've been perfect for it but for his own internal reasons he has bowed out. I think at this point I will be the one running for chairman.

It's very likely that not only will I win, but that we'll also get most of the slots on the executive committee filled with fellow Ron Paul Republicans. In other words we'll probably DOMINATE our local county party.

our county chair created a new office of a sort of outreach coordinator, whose job is to try to get the various factions of the party - the old guard and the libertarians and others together through their common goals to do battle with the Dems. this also provides an opportunity to grow by reaching out to prospects through those organizations that represent the different factions.

lynn

Matt Collins
02-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Legalize hemp farming in the county.HA HA HA. This is just the Republican Party, not the county government. ;)

dude58677
02-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Make it a party platform that the sherriff in the county must arrest seize the assets of any Federal official including judical officials for an act of perjury by violating the Coinstitution.

Nyte
02-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Part of the platform I'm considering running on includes a complete revamping of the local GOP website.

Make it a hub of communication for your local GOP. Don't be afraid to put some money into it because it will really pay off.

Matt Collins
02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Make it a party platform that the sherriff in the county must arrest seize the assets of any Federal official including judical officials for an act of perjury by violating the Coinstitution.Sadly as a major metropolitan area the truth of the matter is that the Republicans have very little effect on metro/county governmental affairs. Besides all city / county elections are non-partisian.

surf
02-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Sadly as a major metropolitan area the truth of the matter is that the Republicans have very little effect on metro/county governmental affairs. Besides all city / county elections are non-partisian.

in Washington, particularly King County (Seattle) most positions are now non-partisan as well. As the head of the county GOP, you can make it a priority to have your precinct officers or chairman decide whom the county GOP will endorse (for Federal, State, and local offices). Thus, in 2012, RP could receive the (whatever the name of your county is) endorsement for President of the US!

Along with your county vetting all candidates and deciding which candidate is the most pro-liberty for every position from dog catcher to city council, mayor, county commissioner, sherriff, etc. candidates may actually adopt positions and platforms as they seek your endorsement. of course this will be dependent on your county getting as many pro-liberty precinct chairmen/captains/officers appointed as you can and having them show up to endorsement-vote meetings.

as others have said, thanks and good luck

Matt Collins
02-13-2009, 07:54 PM
After reading the by-laws I have discovered that the local party is not allowed to endorse anyone in a primary.

AJ Antimony
02-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Once you have your local party, set sights on the next highest stage. Would that be the district party? State party? And you do there what you did to get where you are.

The difference is not only are you working up, but you also have to make sure to keep the foundation strong.

dude58677
02-13-2009, 08:33 PM
After reading the by-laws I have discovered that the local party is not allowed to endorse anyone in a primary.

Who controls the by-laws?

ingrid
02-13-2009, 09:48 PM

It's the same in Maryland. I think it's a good thing.

Matt Collins
02-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Who controls the by-laws?Well the executive committee of the local party will of course (that's hopefully going to be us).

However there is a clause that says the State GOP has final say in any amendments to the by-laws.

dude58677
02-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Well the executive committee of the local party will of course (that's hopefully going to be us).

However there is a clause that says the State GOP has final say in any amendments to the by-laws.

So what can you do?

Matt Collins
02-13-2009, 10:27 PM
So what can you do?Go to war with our State party? I dunno...

We plan on passing a lot of resolutions. We also want to make an amendment that the local party cannot incur debt or run a deficit.

dude58677
02-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Go to war with our State party? I dunno...

We plan on passing a lot of resolutions. We also want to make an amendment that the local party cannot incur debt or run a deficit.

Then pass resolutions that the local officials must seize assets of federal officials for perjury by violating the Constitution under article 6. Even if it is a non-partisan election system, still do it.

james1844
02-14-2009, 12:45 AM
You will probably be busy raising money, running candidates and signing up new members.

You might also consider running for state chair eventually.

rancher89
02-14-2009, 12:39 PM
The logical progression goes from County Chair to Dist Chair to State Chair. Sometimes a County Chair will run for State Chair and win, it just depends on the circumstances. It helps if between Chair positions you get on a few Committees.

I would work on recruitment and cleaning up the County platform. As the County Chair, you get to appoint or suggest people for positions. (I would be working on these other positions NOW so that you get a group of people that support your plan when you get elected.) Also, anything you can do to up your profile AND open the lines of communication is a positive.

It's funny, I know I'm not alone feeling this way, but a year and a half or so ago, I had no idea how the GOP worked or anything -- I just knew where I needed to go to vote.....my perspective on politics has changed dramatically. I've always hated office politics and have kept that crap 10ft away if at all possible. Now I've jumped into REAL politics with both feet and my eyes wide open!! People come to me and ask me questions now and I answer the best I can, I don't pretend to know the right answers, but I can point out what seems to me to be obvious. The more devious aspects of politics seems so convoluted and pointless to me, although, I suppose there is a place for not showing your whole hand......I'm just not that kind of person, so I guess I'm not suited for the "higher positions!"

Good Luck Matt and please keep us posted!

surf
02-14-2009, 04:37 PM

even in county-wide races or city races w/in your county? how about in a general election? perhaps this will allow to endorse congressional candidates or local legislative candidates in the general - thus allowing you to, perhaps, influence positions on a local level.

personally i would think that you, as xxx County GOP chair would be allowed to endorse whomever you choose, correct? not as "xxx County GOP endorses RP for President," but rather, "Matt Collins, xxx County GOP Chairman endorses Ron Paul for President."

Matt Collins
02-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I would work on recruitment and cleaning up the County platform. As the County Chair, you get to appoint or suggest people for positions. (I would be working on these other positions NOW so that you get a group of people that support your plan when you get elected.) Also, anything you can do to up your profile AND open the lines of communication is a positive.Oh, if we get in let's just say we'll be making some headlines :D

It's funny, I know I'm not alone feeling this way, but a year and a half or so ago, I had no idea how the GOP worked or anything -- I just knew where I needed to go to vote.....my perspective on politics has changed dramatically. Yes, in that instance the RP 08 campaign really won because we now have the knowledge needed to advance a liberty philosophy and try to get the government back under control.

I've always hated office politics and have kept that crap 10ft away if at all possible. Now I've jumped into REAL politics with both feet and my eyes wide open!! People come to me and ask me questions now and I answer the best I can, I don't pretend to know the right answers, but I can point out what seems to me to be obvious. The more devious aspects of politics seems so convoluted and pointless to me, although, I suppose there is a place for not showing your whole hand......I'm just not that kind of person, so I guess I'm not suited for the "higher positions!"

Good Luck Matt and please keep us posted!Thanks for your words.

Matt Collins
02-15-2009, 10:12 PM
even in county-wide races or city races w/in your county? how about in a general election? perhaps this will allow to endorse congressional candidates or local legislative candidates in the general - thus allowing you to, perhaps, influence positions on a local level.

personally i would think that you, as xxx County GOP chair would be allowed to endorse whomever you choose, correct? not as "xxx County GOP endorses RP for President," but rather, "Matt Collins, xxx County GOP Chairman endorses Ron Paul for President."

Read section 7 below:
http://nashvillegop.org/election/docs2/docs%20002.jpg

I am thinking of doing something like amending our by-laws to say something such as "our local party will not endorse, lend support to, campaign for, or help promote in any way any candidate who has a record of supporting or voting for increase in taxes, bigger government, anti-gun legislation, etc".

Matt Collins
02-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Well the caucus was today and let's just say us "Ron Paul people" blew them out of the water. The election of the officers will take place here in a few weeks. At the moment (although subject to change) it looks like we probably have the Nashville Republican Party sewn up!

Here are some ideas I have come up with on my own in an effort to make our local party better:

Make the following changes to the by-laws....
- the county Party is not allowed to carry any debt
- the county Party is not allowed to run a defecit
- all officers in the county Party must take an Oath to the Constitution
- simplify election process so that it's not so archaic and cumbersome

We should hold events on April 15th (post-office mailbox waving) informing people that the Income Tax is "bad" as they go to file their tax return. ;)

We should hold an event / protest on Tax Freedom Day educating people about it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Freedom_Day

We should also hold an education class on Constitution Day (Sept 17th)

I would also like to start a library. Even though we don't have any physical space, I could appoint a librarian & committee to buy 3 books a month. 1 of the 3 would be decided by the chairman, the other 2 would be decided by the committee. Here is my ideal reading list: http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html?ie=UTF8&type=wishlist&id=21RMJJRMN70ZX

If anyone else has any other ideas PLEASE share them!

Matt Collins
02-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Surely someone must have some ideas?

Matt Collins
02-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Bump and for references:
http://www.libertyresolutions.com

surf
02-24-2009, 10:14 PM
congratulations. and a bump.

i'd begin w/the weekly email newsletter (spread as far and wide as possible - perhaps sending copies to the State party as well and suggesting they post on their website) and paraphrase Ron's messages as best you can - dumb it down if you have to - and localize it, but use this as a tool to swing folks in the freedom direction.

surf
02-24-2009, 10:18 PM
pro-pot and pro-prostitution are probably not the best place to start, but eventually if successful you may get people thinking this way.

ending the war on terror is probably not the best place to start w/old-school folks, so frame it as "ending Obama's warrior expeditions" and "ending [Obama's] wasteful foreign expenditures"