PDA

View Full Version : Coming updates to RPFs.com

Bryan
09-13-2007, 07:59 PM
It's been overdue but now that Josh has given me Admin privileges :) we're going to be making some small improvements (or so it is hoped :D).

Of top note, the "Best of" subforum is going to be changed into an "Official Campaign News" that will be subtitled "Post official campaign information and news stories here". Bradley in DC (been on hiatus) will be the lead moderator here but it will be open to posting by anyone. Threads of a non-mainstream origin will be moved out.

Next up is this subforum "Ron Paul News & Discussion" which is going to be renamed to "Ron Paul Grassroots Central" as FooFighter20x had suggested. This will continue to be the place for all our chat, discussion, project collaboration and more. Most anything Ron Paul related will not be moved out from here.

Coming up soon after this will be the rolling of the three "project" sub-forums into a single "Extended Project" sub-forum. The "Phone & Online Action" subforum will likely be rolled into this one.

There will also likely be some other enhancements soon but we'll keep things moving a little slow. We have reviewed all the ideas in the past threads but more ideas are always appreciated.

Please vote in the poll. :)

Thanks.

Slugg
09-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm ready to be flamed here, but I still think we should have a members only section. Someone will have to donate cash or something to get access. This will allow people to be more open with some things while maintaining some privacy. Like when people start talking about fundraising, national planning,and large events. It does seem silly to just throw all of that out in the main forum for anyone who registers to see.

Again, I'm ready for the flames.

Bryan
09-13-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm ready to be flamed here, but I still think we should have a members only section. Someone will have to donate cash or something to get access. This will allow people to be more open with some things while maintaining some privacy. Like when people start talking about fundraising, national planning,and large events. It does seem silly to just throw all of that out in the main forum for anyone who registers to see.

That's a good idea- no flames over here.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-13-2007, 08:10 PM

how can you confirm the donation though?

M.Bellmore
09-13-2007, 08:11 PM
I like the member only thing .. not sure how you verify .. meetup id?

Slugg
09-13-2007, 08:12 PM
how can you confirm the donation though?

Chip in...kinda how the operationnh takes donations.

CoreyBowen999
09-13-2007, 08:12 PM
what about me who can't really donate but have been on these forums for a bit

Slugg
09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
what about me who can't really donate but have been on these forums for a bit

I don't know. The money isn't the issue. It's a way to verify that the correct people are getting access and that others (trolls) are not.

I'm not sure there is a perfect solution. I'm just throwing out ideas.

quickmike
09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
I like the member only thing .. not sure how you verify .. meetup id?

I dont belong to a meetup, and dont plan on joining one. I do just fine going door to door doing 100 homes a week and donating money.

So im not allowed? :D

LibertyEagle
09-13-2007, 09:04 PM
I dont belong to a meetup, and dont plan on joining one. I do just fine going door to door doing 100 homes a week and donating money.

So im not allowed? :D

No, I'm the Decider and I say you're fine. :D

quickmike
09-13-2007, 09:07 PM
No, I'm the Decider and I say you're fine. :D

cool beans!!:D

NoxTwilight
09-13-2007, 09:09 PM
I was on a forum a while ago that has some sections split off and not accessible to posters until they had 50 posts. This way they weeded out the lurkers, spys and trolls and only those that really were participating had the right to enter. Seems more fair than money although I would happily give a donation although it couldn't be much.

misconstrued
09-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I think a restricted area is a good idea, but I'm also sans Meetup Group. Maybe just make it invite only?

american.swan
09-13-2007, 09:14 PM
It's been overdue but now that Josh has given me Admin privileges :) we're going to be making some small improvements (or so it is hoped :D).

My thinking is...
1. Make changes in such a way to keep forums active. Change forums with little activity. And dividing forums with a lot of current activity could create a forum that doesn't get any traffic.
2. Members only section I agree with because I feel a small group of motivated members could turn the members only section into a think tank that can stay active even after this election cycle.

My suggestion would go something along the following.
(remember what a forum is all about, so creating a forum with the idea that no discussion will take place is rather odd.)

1. Ron Paul News
2. Other Political stuff
3. Off-topic
4. Controversial stuff
5. Members only
6. Take action

Ultimately, whatever the owner says, goes and I am fine with that.

Ron Paul Fan
09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I am positively opposed to a forum that promotes discrimination against members who either don't have any spare money to donate or are just joining the campaign. These people probably have good ideas too so every individual should be treated the same way. I was under the impression that the freedom message was suppose to bring us together, not divide us.

Matt Collins
09-13-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm ready to be flamed here, but I still think we should have a members only section. Someone will have to donate cash or something to get access. This will allow people to be more open with some things while maintaining some privacy. Like when people start talking about fundraising, national planning,and large events. It does seem silly to just throw all of that out in the main forum for anyone who registers to seeYes - and one should be forced to give real info in order to access this special section, name, addr, phone, etc... and then that person should have to agree to a statement that they are not a member (or an agent) of any other campaign, won't share the information they find, exclusively support RP, etc... If we plan on having very important discussions in this "members only area" then we need to have some level of protection. Otherwise it's just an illusion.

Matt Collins
09-13-2007, 09:35 PM
One of the problems you are having is that EVERYONE seems to be coming mostly to the "RP News and Discussion" section of the forum. Stuff in the other sections just get missed. I know I sure don't have time to read every section in the forum, so I just read this one. I can't be the only one.

remaxjon
09-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Why make any changes?

I like things the way they are I find info easily and don't want to see a repeat of the drama we had

american.swan
09-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I was on a forum a while ago that has some sections split off and not accessible to posters until they had 50 posts. This way they weeded out the lurkers, spys and trolls and only those that really were participating had the right to enter. Seems more fair than money although I would happily give a donation although it couldn't be much.

That sounds like a good compromise.

OVERLOAD...too many ideas...swamped. Shut down now.

G-khan
09-13-2007, 10:18 PM
My two cent worth.. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I think you are opening a can of worms and you will spend a lot of time dealing with complaints and thus wasting time. That time would be better used promoting RP..

This site is very open and fluid and that is why people like it. I think it is a vital link in the RP grassroots movement. A lot of good work gets done at this site and users do not like change - be prepared to be dealing with lots of threads that are complaints..

It will not bother me one way or the other but it will bother some.

Like I said if it ain't broke don't fix it.. Just my opinion?

I can see it now when something gets planed in the closed area and the users find out you are keeping it from them?

Joe Knows
09-13-2007, 10:21 PM
I think there should be a link to www.FredThompsonForum.com

Slugg
09-13-2007, 10:34 PM
I think some people have a misunderstanding about the 'members idea'.

It's not to limit discussion, but to open up discussion.

How many times have you seen a thread die because the discussion got to detailed? I've seen it at least a dozen or so times the past month. The thread dies, and active supporters can no longer participate in discussions. That's lame.

I understand why the thread dies, we don't want just anyone reading about some plans; blogging about ideas, or trolling.

Invite only sounds fair enough to me also. I'm not trying to 'exclude' anyone. I'm trying to include only volunteers.

Also, understand that I envision the 'members' suggestion being a section that is not used nearly as often as the open forum. It's just an area to have more detailed discussions. I don't see how it's any different than a meetup group making their forum invite only; and it makes sense.

I really think it's funny how some people talk about our right to privacy in one breath, but then damn any acts towards protecting sensitive information in another.

slantedview
09-13-2007, 10:44 PM
I agree with the members only section, partially. It would allow us to coordinate activities out of the public eye, but at the same time, anyone could become a member so it's not exactly that exclusive.

Slugg
09-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I agree with the members only section, partially. It would allow us to coordinate activities out of the public eye, but at the same time, anyone could become a member so it's not exactly that exclusive.

That's why I suggested the donation thing. Or invite only?

The problem you pose is legitimate, and trying to solve it sucks because it will inevitably leave out someone who shouldn't have been left out. But nothings perfect.

Ron Paul Fan
09-13-2007, 10:57 PM
i don't think we should abandon what is working in favor of a secret membership consisting of a few intellectual elite who think they can plan campaign events better than the people as a whole. And to suggest that we should have to give up our name, address, and phone number just to gain access into this special forum is ridiculous. I don't want people snooping into my private information. Anyone who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on a downward course into totalitarianism. I also do not believe that we should have to pay a tax to get into this special forum. What happened to this forum anyway? We used to stand up for individual rights, privacy, and freedom. We must stand up against this attempted tyranny! You and I have the ability, and the dignity, and the right to make our own decisions and determine our own destiny. We'll preserve for our children this the last best hope of man on earth or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. Vote against the secret alliance!

G-khan
09-13-2007, 10:59 PM
I think some people have a misunderstanding about the 'members idea'.

It's not to limit discussion, but to open up discussion.

How many times have you seen a thread die because the discussion got to detailed? I've seen it at least a dozen or so times the past month. The thread dies, and active supporters can no longer participate in discussions. That's lame.

I understand why the thread dies, we don't want just anyone reading about some plans; blogging about ideas, or trolling.

Invite only sounds fair enough to me also. I'm not trying to 'exclude' anyone. I'm trying to include only volunteers.

Also, understand that I envision the 'members' suggestion being a section that is not used nearly as often as the open forum. It's just an area to have more detailed discussions. I don't see how it's any different than a meetup group making their forum invite only; and it makes sense.

I really think it's funny how some people talk about our right to privacy in one breath, but then damn any acts towards protecting sensitive information in another.

I hope you do not take this as anything but what I think will happen if you do this. I may be wrong? I think most people will continue to post in the General Discussion forum and you would get very little activity in the new forum. It would also cause complaints, that is what I think will happen? I may be wrong - aks my wife she says I am almost always wrong!

I just don't see this site as broken in any way so I don't see why it needs fixing?

A couple of things I would like to see are add ons.. to be able to play youtube videos right in a thread. Here is an example... http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?t=176579 and you would not get complaints by adding features.. also add sound for mp3

L

silverhandorder
09-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I really wanted to vote for the last one :D.

Slugg
09-13-2007, 11:03 PM
i don't think we should abandon what is working in favor of a secret membership consisting of a few intellectual elite who think they can plan campaign events better than the people as a whole. And to suggest that we should have to give up our name, address, and phone number just to gain access into this special forum is ridiculous. I don't want people snooping into my private information. Anyone who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on a downward course into totalitarianism. I also do not believe that we should have to pay a tax to get into this special forum. What happened to this forum anyway? We used to stand up for individual rights, privacy, and freedom. We must stand up against this attempted tyranny! You and I have the ability, and the dignity, and the right to make our own decisions and determine our own destiny. We'll preserve for our children this the last best hope of man on earth or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. Vote against the secret alliance!

Wow. :rolleyes:

You've got it all wrong.

MsDoodahs
09-13-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm a member at a forum that uses the 50 posts rule, too. It works well in that particular forum.

Whatever you guys want to do is fine with me.

:)

Slugg
09-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm a member at a forum that uses the 50 posts rule, too. It works well in that particular forum.

Whatever you guys want to do is fine with me.

:)

I have no say so around her (which is fine, I'm not complaining at all).

I was just offering a suggestion is all.

american.swan
09-15-2007, 12:29 AM
I have found some threads to have some seriously good data and news in them and I have found others that just don't tickle my fancy and I wonder that others feel this way...so I wonder if there is a way to rate threads? Would that be a good idea?

All hail the chiefs....of RonPaulForums.com...may wisdom guide them.

Bryan
09-15-2007, 06:15 AM
I have found some threads to have some seriously good data and news in them and I have found others that just don't tickle my fancy and I wonder that others feel this way...so I wonder if there is a way to rate threads? Would that be a good idea?
Yes, there is. It was enabled at one time, we could look at re-adding it.

The Spotlight subforum actually has them enabled- check it out:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

constituent
09-15-2007, 06:29 AM
i'm divided about slugg's idea.

it does seem like a pretty good idea b/c too often, good ideas get
marred by newbie derailers or flame fests (though often longtime
members seem equally guilty)...

i still think the better idea would be if a thread starter to could
moderate their own threads by deleting unrelated posts etc.

i don't know if this is even possible, but i think it would help w/out
encouraging, or even projecting the image of, exclusivity.