PDA

View Full Version : YAL Statement of Principles

Truth Warrior
02-11-2009, 05:15 AM
YAL Statement of Principles

We are the Young Americans for Liberty (YAL). As Americans we recognize the God-given natural rights of life, liberty, and property set forth by our Founding Fathers. Our country was created to protect the freedoms of the individual and directed by we the people.

We recognize that freedom deserves responsibility and therefore we hold ourselves to a high moral character and conduct. Integrity emphasizes our stance towards action. Principle defines our outlook towards government. Peace and prosperity drives our ambitions towards our countrymen.

We inherit a corrupt, coercive world that has lost respect for voluntary action. Our government has failed and dragged our country into moral decay. The political class dominates the agenda with a violent, callous, controlling grip. And, for this we do not stand.

We welcome limited government conservatives, classical liberals, and libertarians who trust in the creed we set forth.

WE, as Young Americans for Liberty believe:

THAT government is the negation of liberty;

THAT voluntary action is the only ethical behavior;

THAT respect for the individual's property is fundamental to a peaceful society;

THAT violent action is only warranted in defense of one's property;

THAT the individual owns his/her body and is therefore responsible for his/her actions;

THAT society is a responsibility of the people, not the government.

http://www.yaliberty.org/mission.php (http://www.yaliberty.org/mission.php)

Truth Warrior
02-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Bump!

Truth Warrior
02-12-2009, 07:19 AM
No YAL folks nor boosters here that are interested in commenting on their group's principles? :confused: :(

Austin
02-12-2009, 07:38 AM
THAT government is the negation of liberty;

THAT voluntary action is the only ethical behavior

Those two are absolutely awesome. It's almost as if YAL doesn't want a government at all. ;)

Truth Warrior
02-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Those two are absolutely awesome. It's almost as if YAL doesn't want a government at all. ;) That is/was kinda my take on it too. ;)

Thanks! :)

sevin
02-12-2009, 08:12 AM
What do they mean Government is the negation of liberty?

I believe in a skeleton govt. that can enforce property rights and settle disputes. I guess I'm a minarchist. Are YAL anarchists?

Truth Warrior
02-12-2009, 08:25 AM

I believe in a skeleton govt. that can enforce property rights and settle disputes. I guess I'm a minarchist. Are YAL anarchists? You'll have to ask them. Someone there wrote and approved it. ;) It ALL seems pretty clear and simple to me. :)

The differences between anarchy and minarchy are microscopic and moot, while the STATE still grows, wouldn't you really hafta say? :)

Thanks!

P.S. Try this one out, Philosophy of Liberty (http://sedm.org/LibertyU/PhilosophyOfLiberty.htm) . Perhaps your original question will be answered. ;)

Truth Warrior
02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Truth Warrior
02-14-2009, 06:42 AM
"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." ~ Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

Truth Warrior
02-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Hmmm, I thought more YALsters here just might be more interested in commenting about the OP of this thread.

Silly me. :(

brandon
02-15-2009, 09:12 PM
I donated $100 to them a couple days ago and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Truth Warrior
02-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I donated $100 to them a couple days ago and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Thanks for the bump. How about the principles in the OP?

Jeremy
02-15-2009, 09:32 PM

I believe in a skeleton govt. that can enforce property rights and settle disputes. I guess I'm a minarchist. Are YAL anarchists?

It just means bigger government equals less liberty. Thomas Jefferson talk about this a lot.

Anyway, they should add one and that is that you can't have political freedom without economic freedom or vice versa.

Shotdown1027
02-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Most YALers seem to be Minarchists, though with a sizeable minority of anarcho-capitalists.

Truth Warrior
02-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Most YALers seem to be Minarchists, though with a sizeable minority of anarcho-capitalists. Very good. That's my take on it also.

A similar thing happened to YAF in the 60's-70's. Started out as "conservative" and became a springboard for many libertarians and Objectivists. ;)

Thanks! :)

Truth Warrior
02-17-2009, 07:05 AM
It just means bigger government equals less liberty. Thomas Jefferson talk about this a lot.

Anyway, they should add one and that is that you can't have political freedom without economic freedom or vice versa. It seems to me like the FREEDOM umbrella covers both. Keep it simple.