Knightskye
02-10-2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhbKpg7jo-g

There it is. :)

qwerty
02-10-2009, 11:48 PM

Matt Collins
02-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Berneke goes on about how they are trying to help the free market along, and then Ron ends with "nothing you've done so far seems to be working... just today the markets reacted negatively to another attempt at bailout".

Knightskye
02-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Berneke goes on about how they are trying to help the free market along, and then Ron ends with "nothing you've done so far seems to be working... just today the markets reacted negatively to another attempt at bailout".

Yeah, they should have a debate, like Dr. Paul had with that Fed. governor in 1983.

ashura
02-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Am I the only one seriously disappointed by the encounter? Anyone who's looked into Bernanke knows that his apology to Friedman was an apology for the money supply contraction in the 30s, not for the expansion in the 20s. I don't think he even acknowledges the latter as a problem! Why would Paul bring up that quote this way when, knowing the context, it's correct use would be to support Bernanke's current position? And of course, Bernanke ate it up and laughed it off.

Secondly, while I agree with his closing statement that so far what's been done hasn't worked and demonstrates the strength of the market, it's much too vague! Paul needs to attack the Bernanke/Friedman/monetarist position with specifics, otherwise his attacks can easily be parsed and rendered meaningless.

I know he's capable of it as he's made Bernanke sweat before...

CUnknown
02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Ashura, I agree about the Friedman apology thing.

The other attacks were good, though, especially the one about propping up pricing of houses. Bernake said "We're not trying to prop up prices" but that's either a lie or so misleading that it might as well be one. They are trying to prop up prices -- no matter what the situation, falling home values are a serious problem for our fake economy, and the Fed would do its best to prevent that from happening. It wouldn't be a problem for an economy based on honest money and a free market, but for this monetary system, it is disastrous.

Knightskye
02-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Secondly, while I agree with his closing statement that so far what's been done hasn't worked and demonstrates the strength of the market, it's much too vague! Paul needs to attack the Bernanke/Friedman/monetarist position with specifics, otherwise his attacks can easily be parsed and rendered meaningless.

I know he's capable of it as he's made Bernanke sweat before...

Yeah, I think Dr. Paul should use his whole time asking questions; just leave the Fed blasting to the introductory statement.