PDA

View Full Version : obama news conference scary quotes "the top 12"

smithtg
02-10-2009, 07:11 AM
the obama subforum isnt getting much traffic, but I thought I would pep things up by putting together a "top 10 or 12" scary quotes from last night . Feel free to editorialize. Some may be taken out of context, but who cares...

full transcript here:

http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/president/39344092.html?elr=KArks8c7PaP3E77K_3c::D3aDhUec7Pa P3E77K_0c::D3aDhUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

12. Now, you have some people, very sincere, who philosophically just think the government has no business interfering in the marketplace. And, in fact, there are several who've suggested that FDR was wrong to interfere back in the New Deal. They're fighting battles that I thought were resolved a pretty long time ago.

11. They'll be jobs building the wind turbines and solar panels and fuel-efficient cars that will lower our dependence on foreign oil and modernizing our costly health care system that will save us billions of dollars and countless lives.

10. Now, despite all of this, the plan's not perfect. No plan is. I can't tell you for sure that everything in this plan will work exactly as we hoped, but I can tell you with complete confidence that a failure to act will only deepen this crisis, as well as the pain felt by millions of Americans.

9. We saw this happen in Japan in the 1990s, where they did not act boldly and swiftly enough and, as a consequence, they suffered what was called the lost decade, where essentially, for the entire '90s, they did not see any significant economic growth

8. QUESTION: Thank you, Mr. President. In your opening remarks, you talked about that, if your plan works the way you want it to work, it's going to increase consumer spending. But isn't consumer spending, or overspending, how we got into this mess? And if people get money back into their pockets, do you not want them saving it or paying down debt first before they start spending money into the economy?
OBAMA: Well, first of all, I don't think it's accurate to say that consumer spending got us into this mess. What got us into this mess initially were banks taking exorbitant, wild risks with other people's monies based on shaky assets and because of the enormous leverage, where they had one dollar's worth of assets and they were betting thirty dollars on that one dollar, what we had was a crisis in the financial system.

7. But when they start characterizing this as pork, without acknowledging that there are no earmarks in this package something, again, that was pretty rare over the last eight years then you get a feeling that maybe we're playing politics instead of actually trying to solve problems for the American people.

6. it's important for us to have a bill of sufficient size and scope that we can save or create 4 million jobs.
"Send me a bill that creates or saves 4 million jobs."

5. First of all, when I hear that from folks who presided over a doubling of the national debt, then, you know, I just want them to not engage in some revisionist history. I inherited the deficit that we have right now and the economic crisis that we have right now.

4.that government is an important element of introducing some additional demand into the economy.

3.And if there's anyone out there who still doesn't believe this constitutes a full-blown crisis,

2. We averted catastrophe by passing the TARP legislation

1. But at this particular moment, with the private sector so weakened by this recession, the federal government is the only entity left with the resources to jolt our economy back into life.

MsDoodahs
02-10-2009, 07:49 AM
1. But at this particular moment, with the private sector so weakened by this recession, the federal government is the only entity left with the resources to jolt our economy back into life.

Since the FedGov is the entity that caused the recession, I'd say there is a grain of truth in this. The only entity that could jolt the economy back to life IS the fedgov - but the only way they can do it is by GETTING THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY.

Of course, that is not what *the one* means....lol....

honkywill
02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
This one bothered me:

And we can have a respectful debate about whether or not we should be involved in energy policymaking, but don't suggest that somehow that's wasteful spending. That's exactly what this country needs.

We can have a debate, but don't you even go suggesting i'm wrong!