PDA

View Full Version : Construction Corruption

PitViper
02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

I have been in the commercial construction industry for 13 years. I know a majority of the western PA companies and their management. I get to here a lot of stories. Here’s a story of two different companies:

Company one:

This company bid on, and won, two VA hospital jobs. They spent time and money researching and bidding the job. After they got the (large) jobs, they obviously changed their bidding method for all other jobs, bidding high, because they really didn’t need anymore work. About a week before the Jobs were to start they get a letter simply stating: “the job has been canceled for government convenience”.:confused:

(I could probably get a real copy of this letter, and others I will mention)

There was a note on the letter adding that any costs incurred shall be reimbursed except administrative! At that point, the only cost there is, is administrative and they know it!:mad:
Now this company has NO WORK and has laid off many men! If they saw this coming they wouldn’t have bid so HIGH on all that other work. BULL!:mad:

Company two:

This company is a veteran piping company and well known in the area. They won the bid for a Pittsburgh water line contract. Weeks later they get a letter stating that:
The City of Pittsburgh has decided to give the contract to a more experienced company.:confused:
(As I told you, this company is experienced! BULL! )
This is ENTIRELY ILLEGAL! You cannot arbitrarily give a WON contract to the company of your choice! Even if you are a government official.:mad:

Not to long after, the same company won a sanitary line bid for Pitt City. Days later they get a letter saying:
Due to the fact that you had the cover letter (some trivial thing out of place, I forget) your bid has been thrown out.:mad:

SO you see what is happening here . . . there is no bidding on contracts, they simply give the contract to the people who they choose, who are probably giving them some kind of kickback.

BULL:mad::mad::mad:

If any of you Know similar stories I would love to hear em!

dr. hfn
02-12-2009, 03:40 PM
if only we had an anarcho-capitalist society....

heavenlyboy34
02-12-2009, 03:51 PM

That's what I keep sayin! ;)

kathy88
02-12-2009, 04:26 PM

From your lips to the lemmings' ears.

PitViper
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Just wanted to post an update for any who may be interested . . .

The 2 VA hospital jobs that I spoke of that were fairly won and then "cancelled for government convenience", Just came out for "Rebid" today!! :eek::mad: My contact in that company was boiling! Any of you who may be familiar with this kind of bidding, especially VA, know the hoops you have to go through in the bid process, it is not cheap . . . I actually am speechless at their audacity!

You see, now they have everyones numbers . . . it is no longer a closed bid as it is supposed to be . . . furthermore, if they have a company in collusion with them, they can now have their "pet" company lowball the all the others. BS