PDA

View Full Version : How many people -are- employed?

Knightskye
02-09-2009, 03:52 PM
We keep hearing about how many are unemployed, and about the unemployment percentage.

How many are working?

RCA
02-09-2009, 03:59 PM
the inverse of the unemployed numbers

Dorfsmith
02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Self employed. Still busy (so far).

Knightskye
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM

That's around 92%. I was looking for a specific number, in the hundreds of millions.

nate895
02-09-2009, 07:35 PM
That's around 92%. I was looking for a specific number, in the hundreds of millions.

If 8% are unemployed, and we know that number, to get employed you would simply divide by eight and multiply by 92, thus finding 92%.

HOLLYWOOD
02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
We keep hearing about how many are unemployed, and about the unemployment percentage.

How many are working?

Just testing you: If you know how many are unemployed and you know the percentage of the workforce that's unemployed, you should be able to figure the employed amount.

If your math sucks... go here:

http://www.bls.gov/ (http://www.bls.gov/)

kathy88
02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Self employed. Still busy (so far).

Ditto

Knightskye
02-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Just testing you: If you know how many are unemployed and you know the percentage of the workforce that's unemployed, you should be able to figure the employed amount.

If your math sucks... go here:

I don't have a number to start with. Otherwise, I wouldn't be asking.

I just have percentages, but I don't know the number it's coming from.

This might be it:
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

About 142 million.

2young2vote
02-09-2009, 08:16 PM
So hopefully that 92% doesn't go any lower. But if it does go lower and you are just one of the millions of people who lost their jobs, would you take unemployement and go against what you believe in? I was debating whether i should take government money for my schooling and my dad told me something. He said "Your mother and I have been paying taxes to the government for our entire lives so that is really our money that you are taking, not the governments". Would you take unemployement?

Conza88
02-09-2009, 08:18 PM
If you believe the government numbers are a proper representation of reality... I pity you.

LibertyIn08
02-09-2009, 09:44 PM

Actually, that is not correct; the unemployment number is the number of those not working who are also actively seeking a job. It can be an extremely deceptive number. That means the number employed would be lower than that calculated by your method.

dirknb@hotmail.com
02-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Self employed. Only down about 5% from last year.

Epic
02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Unemployment is 18-19% if calculated the same way it was during the great depression.

hotbrownsauce
02-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I -am- still employed at 40 hours a week. Full time (18 credit hour) student as well. =D

UtahApocalypse
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
I am considered a full time student thus do not count in unemployment numbers. I have no job, and survive by living with my dad and helping him.

heavenlyboy34
02-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I -am- still employed at 40 hours a week. Full time (18 credit hour) student as well. =D

When do you have time to study? (or do you just take the 100 level classes and study during lunch hour? ;))

AmericasLastHope
02-10-2009, 12:09 AM
My dad worked for the 2nd largest bank in America for 25 years. He was a VP. He got laid off a couple months ago. I work for a Fortune 500 company. Today they laid off my boss' boss' boss, and another high level manager who had been with the company for 15 years. They said my department should know the extent of the layoffs by Wednesday.

My brother is a college student and President of a Fraternal Organization. A few days ago he asked his fellow members to pray for my father who is still unemployed. Eight other College Students stood up and asked that they all pray for their fathers because they had recently lost their jobs as well. My brother didn't even know they had lost their jobs.

I don't know about y'all, but to me it's looking more and more like 2009 will actually be a complete meltdown as Paul, Schiff, Celente, and the IMF say. :(

tangent4ronpaul
02-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Folks are forgetting that the Bush administration re-defined "unemployed" to be those people receiving unemployment insurence. That runs out after a while, and when it does you are no longer "unemployed" according the the government - you just don't exist in any category and don't have a job.

It also doesn't count people like arospace engineers who got laid off and are trying to survive with 1-3 part time jobs - flipping burgers or something for minimum wage.

-t

fatjohn
02-10-2009, 04:55 AM
ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/suppl/empsit.cpseea1.txt

Look how many are retiring and how many baby's are being born. Whahaha USA fucked.

Down 4 million workers while total population up 2,5 million.

And 2008 wasn't half as bad as 2009 will be so looking to a further downfall of 13 million more not working mouths to feed.

This one will make the previous depression laughable.

jkm1864
02-10-2009, 08:33 AM
unemployment does not count the lazy guy You know that refuses to work. You know the one that sits in his mothers basement drinking koolaid all day .... So 92% is not a correct number and We know it isn't. Unemployment does not count people on the governments tit either so welfare and social security are not counted. I don't know the number but I would imagine only 40% of the people in this country actually work ..... Oh You can't count the children also......

jkm1864
02-10-2009, 08:38 AM
The gulf of mexico is about to shut down .... My company has no work and all of our competitors have no work either... The price of oil is a large culprit but another culprit is government regulation. I am staring at a month or more off and yes its getting scary because I have to have atleast 5k in my account every month. I told my fiance if I find work don't expect me to come home anytime soon. As a matter of fact i'll go offshore for more than 3 months if I have to. I have a really bad feeling and most of my co workers feel the same. I won't be laid off but guess what if there is no work I won't make a dime so how is that? Oh I am not under any illusion I know whom to blame and its not me or my company but its wall street & the governments fault.

HOLLYWOOD
02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't have a number to start with. Otherwise, I wouldn't be asking.

I just have percentages, but I don't know the number it's coming from.

This might be it:
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

About 142 million.

Pretty close... under the number posted as unemployed, the precentage, etc...

150 Million