PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: Run for the Hills! (for Pod-People)

InterestedParticipant
02-08-2009, 11:16 AM
What a fantastic and current example of propaganda (i.e psychological warfare) on the American public. The thesis is that all the traits of a "normal" lifestyle have been destroyed, that the world has become untrustworthy and mean, that the politicians are no longer capable of providing solutions, and that the only way to successfully survive is to head for the hills (or at least be ready to move in a moment's notice). All in all, this article is selling fear and lack of hope in the existing system so that we'll beg and plead for a new system. We are being softened-up for Democracy 3.0, the new system that is waiting in the wings, where global panels of experts make all our decisions, where we're given temporary comfort for longterm servitude. Well, its not the only future we can have, as we possess the capability to pursue any option we can dream of. But they are going to work very hard into herding us all down a very narrow passage that they control. We are supposed to think that their destiny is the only destiny.

It's not quite yet time to head for the hills, but start preparing for it right now (http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/articles/2009/02/05/its_not_quite_yet_time_to_head_for_the_hills_but_s tart_preparing_for_it_right_now/)
By Scott Burns
February 5, 2009

By now, having watched your house fall in value, your 401(k) plan slide toward nothingness, your job security wane, your benefits fade, the complete failure of business management, the disastrous failure of regulatory control, the finger-pointing of the political parties, and the revelation of an epic $50 billion fraud, none of us could be blamed if we wanted to move to Montana and shun human beings.

So here's the big question. What can we do to feel safe again?

Should we push the politicians for fundamental reform?

No way. They simply aren't qualified to provide it. Neither party has shown any willingness to stop promising benefits that have to be paid for by our children and grandchildren. Their Ponzi schemes, more politely known as Social Security and Medicare, are far larger than the alleged fraud of Bernard Madoff.

It won't be easy, but here are some basic steps.

Go for cash. We can't pressure the politicians if we're as debt-strapped as they've made the country. We need to do whatever it takes to eliminate the menace of credit card debt. We should make it a goal to pay all of our bills in full monthly and build enough equity in our homes that we can self-finance most outsize expenses. That means the end of a debt-driven consumer society.

Our belt-tightening (read: lower standard of living) may last as long as five years.

The lending industry won't like this. We may owe them money, but we don't owe them any consideration.

Be prepared. Most of us suffer from a misplaced trust that the world is a place of civility and continuity. It isn't. We need to keep a cash reserve large enough that we don't worry at every economic hiccup. As a practical matter, even if your cash reserve earns zero interest, it can produce an outsize return in smart, day-to-day purchases of used and bankruptcy sale goods.

Train yourself in self-reliance. Most Americans would be endangered if they lost their income for a month, their electricity for a week, or their access to a supermarket or gas station for a few days. We rediscover this in every major snowstorm or hurricane. We simply don't think about being able to sustain ourselves in our homes in the event of utility failures or worse.

If you don't know where to start, let me suggest "Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens" (Storey Publishing, $17). Written by Kathy Harrison, the book covers the basics of emergency preparedness for staying at home, or having to leave home quickly, in an easy 230 pages.

Jack A. Spigarelli's "Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival" (Cross-Current Publishing, $20), goes further. It includes a brief section on firearms and ammunition.

Scott Burns is a syndicated columnist. He can be reached scott@scottburns.com.

speciallyblend
02-08-2009, 12:42 PM
WOLVERINES. I am already in the hills (aka MOUNTAINS:) hehe i hear you but i do have a distrust of our government and it doesn't work;)
I am at 10,200 feet keep them all lower then me so i can keep them all at the foothills:)

KEEP THE HIGH GROUNDS/ WOLVERINES:)

for homeland security(this is called a joke and i am just mentioning a movie!!! just to clarify the tar is for my roof and the feathers help to keep me warm:)