PDA

View Full Version : Gandhi Pills? Psychiatrist Argues for Moral Performance Enhancers

Omphfullas Zamboni
02-07-2009, 02:12 AM
http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/gandhi-pills-ps.html
Could the right drug make you a better person?

A British psychiatrist raises and argues for that possibility in a new paper in a prominent psychiatry journal. In fact, he says that in many clinical settings, moral steroids are already being used.

"Within many clinical encounters, there may already be a subtle form of moral assistance going on, albeit one we do not choose to describe in these terms," writes Sean Spence of the University of Sheffield in the British Journal of Psychiatry."

Performance-enhancing drugs are generally used to enhance performance in competitive settings, like sports. On Wired Science, we've spent a lot of time looking at ways to increase cognitive performance. But what Spence suggests is that science should be searching for drugs to make people more "humane" not just smarter.

Spence describes the case of a man with "antisocial personality disorder" -- somewhere on the continuum between dangerously sociopathic and just kind of a jerk -- who requests drugs to prevent himself from harming a girlfriend. In making that request, Spence says that the man is using pharmaceuticals to exhibit "moral agency."

"Hence, if we ask the question 'Can pharmacology help to enhance human morality?' then we should answer 'yes,' that sometimes it can be used as a means to this end," Spence writes.

What do you think? Do you already use some substance -- say, marijuana or a prescription painkiller -- not for how it makes you feel, but how it influences your behavior toward other people? Do you consider this "moral pharmacology"?

Spence mentions that drugs could be specifically designed to "target and increase a prosocial feeling and behaviour such as 'kindness.'" Would you take a kindness pill?

Grimnir Wotansvolk
02-07-2009, 04:15 AM
Ehhh. I think you delve deep down the rabbit hole, it becomes apparent that most of the major issues that are tearing apart our world can be traced all the way back to childhood, elementary school, and religious practices, wherein most people are trained/forced to suppress what comes naturally to them.

We certainly don't need more of that.

Also, one of the first things you learn in a psychology class is that attempts to suppress human nature only yields the opposite result, so why any psychiatrist would recommend this is beyond me.

http://www.zone-sf.com/images/equilibrium.jpg

MachM
02-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Gandhi was shot dead. All those who follow Gandhi principle will also be shot dead. Gandhi followers are weak and useless.

Freedom 4 all
02-07-2009, 08:33 AM
This guy should be booted by the APA.

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Ehhh. I think you delve deep down the rabbit hole

Heh, I was thinking about Equilibrium as well. Way too scary a thought for my tastes.

torchbearer
02-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Gandhi was shot dead. All those who follow Gandhi principle will also be shot dead. Gandhi followers are weak and useless.

I don't exactly say it like that.. but you are right.
Pacifist don't have rights... and neither does the prozac nation.

jkr
02-07-2009, 11:15 AM
pacifists don't NEED rights...besides rights BELONG to individuals not groups, right?

M House
02-07-2009, 11:22 AM
It'd be cool if they gave you some oxytocin in an inhaler pack. It's your own damn hormone. I mean if your a dude the only time you get a good dose of it is when you're boning someone. Some men don't even get it then. Well, I bet they're still pushing those anti-psychotics though.

torchbearer
02-07-2009, 02:38 PM
pacifists don't NEED rights...besides rights BELONG to individuals not groups, right?

wtf are u talking about?
I didn't say the group of pacifist don't have rights.. i was talking about individuals who practice pacifism have no rights.
You only have the rights you are willing to fight and die for... end of story.
All other rights will be forcibly taken from you by your neighbors and the state.