PDA

View Full Version : Starting The Conversation

micahnelson
02-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I think we need to get people together to talk politics.

The first step is to get people to speak their mind, and hear other people speaking. I propose each of us start a nonpartisan, nonexclusive political discussion group focused on getting our country on the right track.

The only collective belief would be...

1) America is in decline
2) The country is worth saving.
3) People have a responsibility to work together to fix it.

These groups don't have to do anything but talk at first. I think the simple act of leaving the house, meeting with others, and talking politics will reignite the conversation and break people free from the echo chambers we have created for ourselves.

Thoughts?

heavenlyboy34
02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
I think we need to get people together to talk politics.

The first step is to get people to speak their mind, and hear other people speaking. I propose each of us start a nonpartisan, nonexclusive political discussion group focused on getting our country on the right track.

The only collective belief would be...

1) America is in decline
2) The country is worth saving.
3) People have a responsibility to work together to fix it.

These groups don't have to do anything but talk at first. I think the simple act of leaving the house, meeting with others, and talking politics will reignite the conversation and break people free from the echo chambers we have created for ourselves.

Thoughts?

I already do this whenever I get a chance. It's easier now that the big issues of the day aren't so partisan. (like the coming depression)

micahnelson
02-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I already do this whenever I get a chance. It's easier now that the big issues of the day aren't so partisan. (like the coming depression)

Yes, but I was thinking something more formal

Epic
02-06-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm not sure I believe in #2, but....

idiom
02-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah #2 is so-so.

LittleLightShining
02-06-2009, 04:46 AM
How about changing #2 to Vermont (or your state) is worth saving?

I think it's a great idea micah. I've been trying to start conversations with my friends for years via email and other electronic means (and sometimes in person but my network is spread out). My peers in the GOP have mostly the same ideas. The VT Campaign For Liberty (which is also spread out) are also taking a nonpartisan approach but I've (also) been saying that the conversation has to be initiated locally. I'm going to act on this. Thanks.

nobody's_hero
02-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Interesting story,

One day, I was having my oil changed at the auto-dealership, and while I was sitting in the waiting room, CNN was going on and on flashing the $850 billion figure for the Great September Robbery (this happened a while back). This man sitting across from me said something about how ridiculous that amount of money was just to "give away" to these banks.

I said simply, "You know, I think this whole mess could have been avoided if we'd just follow the Constitution."

Immediately, the man started talking about Ron Paul. We got into a big conversation about politics, and I told him how I'd never voted in any election (much less donated to a politician's campaign) before I'd heard of Ron Paul. He then told me how his mother was (if I recall this figure correctly) 80 years old (anyway, she was old) and he got her to register to vote for the first time in her life because of Ron Paul.

I wished I had gone out and gotten the copy of The Revolution: A Manifesto that I had in my truck at the time, but it was up on the rack having the oil drained. I'd have let the man have it if he'd wanted it.

I'm a very shy person, but I mentioned the 'Constitution' and it was like some magic word, lol.

micahnelson
02-06-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm pretty sure getting groups together discussing the survival of the states, apart from the country, would not be viewed very well outside of the same limited number of libertarians and anarchists that are already on board.

I don't think anyone wants to see the flag folded up and the constitution abolished. (Well, some people do I guess.) Obviously I don't want to help keep the government in the form it is now, but isn't a union of states and the bill of rights worth preserving?

acptulsa
02-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Our local G.O.P. is set up to have neighborhood ("precinct") meetings much as you describe, though that usually isn't the stated agenda. It's a good mechanism in place, and we intend to use it.

Also sounds contentious, but in my neighborhood last year the only Republicans who considered it worth the trouble were Ron Paul supporters. Perhaps we can get more people this year, though (and create some Ron Paul supporters *evil laugh* but don't tell the G.O.P.).