PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION for NON-AFFILIATED voters:

wgadget
09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
How did you find about Ron Paul and what attracts you to vote for him?

Please don't answer if you're still on the fence about voting for him....Thanks.

paulitics
09-13-2007, 02:26 PM

Please don't answer if you're still on the fence about voting for him....Thanks.

Good question, but I would make it a poll so we can use the data.

wgadget
09-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Do it, please. I'm technologically challenged.

paulitics
09-13-2007, 02:35 PM
I already kind of did before. Results here.

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=8884&highlight=paulitics

im_a_pepper
09-13-2007, 02:35 PM
I had always thought in the back of my mind when seeing pictures of Arabs burning American flags and "Bush is devil" montage along with similar happenings in the past ...why do they hate us? I couldn't believe that so many of those people just hate us as a sort of jealousy or even a religious fever, and there had to be more. I always knew our CIA were involved in foreign affairs, underground weapons affairs and such from the Bay pf Pigs to Iraq's mass killing spree in Kuwait (weapons funded by France) and his own people (Thanks to mustard/chlorine factories built by UK). I just didn't put it together. It bothered me but I let it go. I caught just a glimpse of the first debate and there Ron Paul said it. "Our policies incited it" that was it that was how I felt, that was what deep down I just knew made sense and nobody ever said. So I looked him up, and with every bit I dug further I found more and more things I felt in common with in his views. Proud followers ever since.

Green Mountain Boy
09-13-2007, 02:37 PM
I believe I first came across Ron Paul's name when I was a senior in high school (about 4 years ago). I'm certain I learned of him on the internet, although I don't remember the exact circumstance. I probably read an article or saw a video and was like, "Oh, he seems like cool dude. Too bad he's just a congressman that no one listens to, just like all the others out there who speak the truth."

I've always been libertarian-minded since I first got interested in politics (although I did vote for H.Dean in 2004, but redeemed myself by voting for Michael Badnarik in the General election).

Cindy
09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
I use to vote Green, Perot turned me onto the Party. I liked their take back the governemnt, the constitution and non intervension foriegn Policy and stuck with green. Only turned out to vote, never got involved looking deeply into the parties philosphy much or its campaigns at all.

Though I knew they wouldn't win, I found my voice to the government through that party on those issues, and it was my way to say F' You! to government scum:D

Someone posted a video clip of Paul speaking out against the Federal Reserve at a political forum I go to last May.

I was blown away. I thought he was Craaaaaazy, in a good ( he's my hero) way, for putting his life on the line saying such things in congress.:eek: Finding out that he was running for President in the same thread was a thrilling shocker. :eek:

Finding out he was a Republican, was the turn off let down.:( Took me a month to do some homework on him to make sure he wasn't neocon, CFR, Bilderburg trash and another positive post put up on him for me to commit to the switch.

saku39
09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I became aware of Ron Paul early 2007 or so. This guy on a martial arts website kept posting threads about the federal reserve with videos of Ron Paul. I dismissed it at the time, thinking incorrectly, "Why would anyone want to get rid of the federal reserve? They help the economy. This guy is just a crazy old man."

In late May, I saw a Ron Paul compilation video of the 2nd republican debate on Youtube that had a large number of hits. I thought: "Republicans? Crap. They are worse than the democrats-- And that's hard to do. But why is a video about the republican debate getting so many hits? Most debates are boring as hell. Why are people watching?"

Curious, I clicked it.

It was a breath of fresh air compared to what I've ever seen of politicians previously. At the time, I didn't agree with half of what he was saying, but he seemed honest and he was saying things I've NEVER heard anyone else say, which made him that much more intriguing.

His exchange with Rudy automatically made me a fan.

After Rudy responded to his remarks, I was shocked. Why was the audience clapping for Rudy? Have they not paid attention to the past few years? Did they not hear what Dr Paul said? He spoke truth and they were applauding the wrong guy. The after debate coverage helped seal the deal. Again, during his interview with Hannity, he spoke the truth, but Hannity dismissed it and kept arguing a illogical viewpoint. Watching Hannity try to attack him and watching Fox News try to smear him, was even more proof for me that I was going to vote for this guy no matter what-- Just to spite FOX.

During this period, I was going to vote for him because I mistrust and dislike all politicans and lobbyists. I've worked at government offices before. Because of my experience, I believe that bureaucrats and lobbyists are in control in Washington and I believe that most politicians just game the system. I felt that sending this guy to the presidency will screw up everything these people have going.

I watched more youtube videos that covered the debates and discovered either the lack of coverage or the smear tactics used on him. It made me even more sure I was right, as all the right people hated his guts. Fox News/News Corp specifically seemed to really go out of their way to try and attack him.

I was suprised at all the youtube videos random people made. Who were all these people posting this stuff? Where did they come from?

I saw interviews with him, news footage, and previous debate coverage. I got to see how he responds to questions and how most MSM tries to marginalize him. After about 30 or so videos, I had more questions than answers. The biggest being, why are some of them going out of their way to either smear him or act like he doesn't exist? And then it hit me--

Wow, they are completely terrified of this man.

But why?

. . . I believe that all news is partisan, it's just a matter of degree and what side they're on. Whether it be reporters or media moguls, consiously or unconsiously, they will try to influence people to further their agenda-- Just as Brit Hume would like to see "conservative republicans" in charge as opposed to Dan Rather wanting "liberal democrats." I get my news from a variety of sources: CNN, FOX, CBS, PBS, BBC and the internet. I try to get as many viewpoints as possible because I don't trust one network or person. . .

Regardless of his political views, certain media talking heads are irritated and scared of him because he does not do political theater like they desire and are used to. He represents REAL change totally contrary to their beliefs and none of them can influence him in any way. The best they can do is influence their viewers/readers to not support him.

With that in mind, over June, July and August; I studied Dr Paul. Articles and posts at Lew Rockwell, mises.org, Daily Paul, and later ronpaulforums.com and ronpaullibrary.org made me change my previous thinking completely.

At first I was in complete shock that someone would even suggest abolishing the IRS, the Federal Reserve, the Dept of Education, Dept of Commerce, NAFTA, NATO, Dept of Energy, FEMA, Homeland Security, etc. But the more I read and the more I studied, the more it made sense. I know way more about economics now than I ever did previously. I also know more about history and foreign policy know then I ever did previously. Every article and book I read only supported whatever he was saying about Foreign policy and Monetary policy.

I don't agree with Dr Paul completely, but it doesn't matter-- because the things I do agree on, there is NOBODY else saying anything close and there is NOBODY else that has the record he does. This guy is righteous.

Originally, I had only planned to support Ron Paul because I hoped that through my support, a broken system I despized would hiccup even more and hopefully be replaced with something better. But now, after months of study I support him because I understand what he stands for and from a logical standpoint it makes complete sense.

So, with all that said: Ron Paul is my candidate. He is my man because:

***He is the only one that has a consistent viewpoint.
***His viewpoint is backed up by historical precedance and logical arguments.
***He doesn't change his positions to suit him in whatever political climate is currently popular.
***He has a 20 year voting record that proves if he says he's going to vote one way, he WILL vote one way and one way only.
***He has better ideas.
***He speaks truth.

honkywill
09-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Someone I respect and agree with on many issues had started a thread about him in a forum I've frequented since I was 16.

Then one day I decided to check him out.

Paulitician
09-13-2007, 03:00 PM
He is very willing to speak about the issues, uses historical precedent for his arguments, and never waivers.

Takes his oath the the Constitution seriously. His voting record proves it.

Is an extremely principled man. I feel I can trust him; he can't be bought by special interests or corporations and seems to have no ulterior motives. He has the people's best interest at heart.

Severius
09-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm originally from Texas, but the first I ever heard of Ron Paul was in a post on BoingBoing about how he's so popular on the internet. I read what people were saying about him, then looked up more through google, youtube, and found his official website. I had seen Ron Paul rEVOLution signs a lot around where I live in Phoenix and had always intended to look him up to find who he was, but never got around to it :\ I wonder how many people are the same way.

Nefertiti
09-13-2007, 03:30 PM
I was an Obama supporter and someone mentioned him saying we were to blame for 911 in the Obama forums. That plus the fact that his name sounded like Ru Paul got me curious so I looked him up. He sounded almost exactly like Pat Buchanan, who I would have been supporting if he had been running for president.

The story behind the story is that I was turned on to Buchanan last year when for some reason I came across this column that he wrote during the Lebanon-Israel War:

http://www.theamericancause.org/print/072106_print.htm

I was so impressed by it that I started reading all his columns and decided then that he was my favorite politician. I even had my lifelong democrat father waiting with baited breath for each new Buchanan column after I sent him that one.

anewvoice
09-13-2007, 03:54 PM

Pretty simple for me really.

Ron Paul supports and abides by the Constitution. Therefore I support Ron Paul!