PDA

View Full Version : Bank alternatives?

Rael
02-05-2009, 02:59 AM
I'm interested in the idea of somehow not having a traditional bank account. I think it would be liberating to drop out of this system. But I'm not sure it's practical. Maybe someone has some good ideas?

I hate the idea of not being able to pay online for stuff and use debit cards. But on the other hand I would like to have anonymity in my purchases, and maybe I cannot have it both ways.

Also, my employer makes it a huge pain in the ass to even get paid with a traditional check. If you don't use direct deposit they make you wait for a check to come in the mail and it delays you getting your money about a week.

DamianTV
02-05-2009, 07:57 AM
You can prepay some types of credit cards. Normally designed to "rebuild credit" but whats the point of credit if its just gonna collapse anyway.

As for your employer, you should suggest he move all of his personal financial material to the least stable bank out there, then watch him revel in his own stupidity when his money goes pop and is spent by the jackass president of said bank on a $400,000 overpriced plastic piggy bank.

Pulling out of the bank probably isnt a bad idea. Eventually there are gonna be more runs on the banks and that causes lots of problems. While I was in the navy, I had my check DD to the Navy Federal Credit Union. Then the Navy said they overpaid me by some small ammt, and they did, but instead of withholding that from my next check, they decided to take it back out of MY bank account, which according to them was legal (I still call BS on that being legal at all) and caused me to bounce a check. That was the last time I ever went with direct deposit for any check.

berrybunches
02-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I was thinking about this also.
You can take checks anywhere to get them cashed (a BP around the corner from my house cashes any check for 1%) then you can buy those re loadable debit cards with credit card logos - like the kind you can give as Christmas presents that don't have names on them.

Also paypal does not require SS# , if I remember correctly, for buyers. I don't know if that helps or not.

As for paying bills online making ACH transactions you will need a bank account I think.
Google anonymous bank accounts, I think you can acquire foreign ones possibly?

With the new law that requires CC companies to report all transactions to the IRS anonymity has taken on a new level of appeal for me also.

mssr7
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I, too, have been thinking seriously about this. Hope someone comes up with some viable alternatives.

Danke
02-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Some people use money orders to pay bills.