PDA

View Full Version : Cong. Ron Paul endorses Citizens in Charge Foundation

JonathanBydlak
02-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Here's the direct link: http://www.citizensincharge.org/blog/jbydlak/cong-ron-paul-endorses-citizens-in-charge-foundation

Today, Congressman Ron Paul (TX-14) (http://www.ronpaul.org) offered this statement about the work of Citizens in Charge Foundation (http://www.citizensincharge.org), and its president, Paul Jacob (http://www.citizensincharge.org/about-us/staff/paul-jacob):

For more than 30 years, I have been pleased to call Paul Jacob a friend. I have always admired his hard work and the courage of his convictions. Time and again, Paul has stood up against intrusive, unconstitutional government and fought hard to protect our great American tradition of individual liberty. Paul’s work with Citizens in Charge Foundation to protect and foster the ballot initiative process across our country is both noble and important.

Our Founding Fathers understood that government works best when it operates on the smallest, most local level possible. Our Constitution was drafted to leave the majority of power in the hands of the People, so that the People would hold the reins of the government rather than yield control to detached bureaucrats and specials interests.

This principle is why the ballot initiative process is so significant. When local citizens are given the chance to work out their own problems, we are best able to sort out the complex issues that we all face.

I applaud the mission of Citizens in Charge Foundation, and think that our Campaign for Liberty (http://www.campaignforliberty.org) would find them to be wonderful partners in many of our battles across the country.

Jeremy
02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Sweet, a Terra Eclipse site. =o

That makes them awesome already :p

edit: But I'm not for Democracy... not really sure what this is though I guess

BrandonWHolmes
02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Citizens In Charge Foundation works to protect and spread the citizen ballot initiative process. The ballot initiative process is a democratic institution that places an additional check on elected officials and courts by giving individual citizens the power to propose laws and put them on the ballot for a vote by the general public. This additional check strengthens republican government by providing additional accountability to officials while maintaining constitutional government. The main benefit of the initiative process is that it allows people to circumvent legislators who ignore what their constituents want or are hostile to the likes of mere taxpayers who dare to get in their way (think of the 70% of Americans who opposed the war and bailout while their “representatives” gleefully pulled the ‘yes’ lever for both).

Through the initiative people can propose laws that would never get a hearing on the floor of any legislature. The ballot initiative has been used to legalize marijuana, constitutionally limit state spending increases, constitutionally limit property taxes, prohibit taxpayer dollars from being used for lobbying, establish the right to work (no forced union membership), place term limits on elected officials, limit eminent domain abuse, allow women to vote and allow yellow margarine to be sold, amongst other things.

The ballot initiative is probably the best tool that we have to limit government. Government is not going to limit itself, this we know. Limited government candidates are hard to get into office, this we know too. The liberty movement needs to embrace this democratic institution so that it can be used to save our republic.

*Disclosure: I work for the Citizens In Charge Foundation

ronpaulhawaii
02-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the forum, Brandon.

Truth Warrior
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Gee, is there a problem in and with D.C.? :D

surf
02-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Citizens In Charge Foundation works to protect and spread the citizen ballot initiative process. The ballot initiative process is a democratic institution that places an additional check on elected officials and courts by giving individual citizens the power to propose laws and put them on the ballot for a vote by the general public. This additional check strengthens republican government by providing additional accountability to officials while maintaining constitutional government. The main benefit of the initiative process is that it allows people to circumvent legislators who ignore what their constituents want or are hostile to the likes of mere taxpayers who dare to get in their way (think of the 70% of Americans who opposed the war and bailout while their “representatives” gleefully pulled the ‘yes’ lever for both).

Through the initiative people can propose laws that would never get a hearing on the floor of any legislature. The ballot initiative has been used to legalize marijuana, constitutionally limit state spending increases, constitutionally limit property taxes, prohibit taxpayer dollars from being used for lobbying, establish the right to work (no forced union membership), place term limits on elected officials, limit eminent domain abuse, allow women to vote and allow yellow margarine to be sold, amongst other things.

The ballot initiative is probably the best tool that we have to limit government. Government is not going to limit itself, this we know. Limited government candidates are hard to get into office, this we know too. The liberty movement needs to embrace this democratic institution so that it can be used to save our republic.

*Disclosure: I work for the Citizens In Charge Foundation

welcome to the forum. In Wa we have a fairly simple (relatively speaking) initiative process that is constantly being challenged and efforts are consistently made to limit the initiative process. of course, legislature often ignores the initiatives after they are voted in. some have sucked - i.e the "top-2" primary that limits the ability of third party candidates to get on the November ballot, but some are ok (i.e. $30 license tabs). of course, it costs me about $75 to license my old truck, but i guess it could be worse.

heavenlyboy34
02-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Gee, is there a problem in and with D.C.? :D

I reckon so. ;)

BrandonWHolmes
02-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the words of welcome everyone!

kathy88
02-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Welcome again :)

gls
02-04-2009, 03:51 PM
I’m very wary of ballot initiatives. I (somehow) have even less faith in the people than the politicians. At least this appears to be focused on the state and local level, which would minimize any potential damage, unlike Mike Gravel’s NI4D.

I guess my question is what is the mission of this organization? Is it for pushing specific liberty-oriented initiatives or just the initiative concept in general?