PDA

View Full Version : Daughters / Sons of the American Revolution

muzzled dogg
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
i just found out that i'm a son of the revolution

anyone know what these national societies are about? is it worth filing the paperwork?

:confused:

Kludge
02-03-2009, 04:33 PM
anyone know what these national societies are about?

"Celebrating" heritage and tradition

muzzled dogg
02-03-2009, 04:35 PM
by campaigning for obama or wut

Cowlesy
02-03-2009, 04:39 PM
i have all the paperwork filled out but haven't mailed it in -- thanks for the reminder!

Kludge
02-03-2009, 04:39 PM
by campaigning for obama or wut

Celebration of Patriotism; this country and its heritage.... Many originalists I know of are in there.

Check out their website.

http://www.sar.org

LibertyEagle
02-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Celebration of Patriotism and, frankly, American (white) ethnocentrism, not that it's necessarily bad.... Many originalists I know of are in there.

Check out their website.

http://www.sar.org

Where? Don't see it.

Kludge
02-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Where? Don't see it.

Probably wasn't the place to write that.... Sorry... Retracted. :o

Cowlesy
02-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Probably wasn't the place to write that.... Sorry... Retracted. :o

:)
http://www.sar.org/sarmag/b/blacks.htm
http://www.sar.org/sarmag/b/amjew.htm
http://www.sar.org/sarmag/b/ethnicindex.htm

amy31416
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
One of these days I'll get around to joining.

Kludge
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
:)
http://www.sar.org/sarmag/b/blacks.htm
http://www.sar.org/sarmag/b/amjew.htm
http://www.sar.org/sarmag/b/ethnicindex.htm

I'll read these in full tomorrow (only just skimmed it)... I have a book's worth of reading queued up for tomorrow. I'm probably speaking in ignorance here, but when I wrote my original post (I've edited it 3 or 4 times since), I had nationalism instead of white ethnocentrism. I still contend that the whole point of promoting heritage is an effort to indoctrinate others with ethnocentrism and to then use the Founders (the vast majority racist, some even slaveholders) as superhuman authorities who should be trusted in full. Thus, we justify (mostly through cognitive dissonance, or as Kade would call it, willful ignorance) the unethical by claiming our attitude is too narrow-minded. After all, who are we to challenge a great and (might-as-well-be) sacred entity such as Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, or "Honest" Abe?

(Beware - a rant!) Organizations such as Stormfront regularly quote Founders (just look at this garbage (http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=539689)). They mask their unethical racism with heritage and tradition. Indeed, they are one of the most obvious examples of "willful ignorance" To say that you wave a Confederate flag because you want to celebrate heritage is ridiculous. There are many more symbols or liberty and Anti-Federalism without the known baggage of the Confederate flag. While I'm ranting... Tolerance itself is racist. We tolerate the behaviors of others because they have "baggage" or because they lived in a different time! It's frustrating and contrary to the message of freedom! What is right and wrong ethically does not change over time or based on race. Murder is never acceptable, for example. Slavery is unacceptable (indeed, that does include usury!). Such disrespect should not be TOLERATED in any person, whether white, black, dead, or afflicted by mental retardation!

The celebration; the emotional attachment and faith in something which is not perfect is a trap! To have faith in imperfection is self-hating and will force you to live as hopeless nothing. There is absolutely NO reason to glorify people or collectives which are imperfect! Glorify perfect ideas, promote them, spread them, but to promote imperfection will only result in more imperfection. If you would not promote racism, why would you ever promote a racist?

There may well have been good people in the Revolution, but we must also remember that, at least, some of the American Revolution (almost every war, American or otherwise, really...) was fought with deception (hype/fear-mongering) and the oppression of their own individuals. As just one example, think of the draft in the American Civil War. Neither the Union or Confederacy permitted conscientious objectors to stay out of the war without somehow assisting in the murder of other individuals (originally, the Confederacy did not even permit the exclusion of COs from combat).

History books LOVE to promote ethnocentrism, nationalism and "Patriotism". These very books which glorify our Founders and "heritage" are the same which exclude their REAL history. They wouldn't dare present history objectively, less the State education department strip the company of the privilege to have their textbooks used in schools. Teachers are not permitted to espouse opinions, less they want to be charged with indoctrinating students. I see the very same "liberty-loving" people condemn moral relativism and political correctness while also condemning educators (and educational tools) daring to share their own views with students, whether it be their belief in Christianity or "liberal" views. God forbid someone tell students there is a belief system outside of their parents'. The parents' belief that they are freeing their child(ren) from indoctrination is just more willful ignorance in an attempt to control them for the parents' own selfish desires! The same parents who attack public education as indoctrination, INDOCTRINATE THEIR OWN KIDS!!!

*sighs and shuts up*

axiomata
02-03-2009, 06:43 PM
My great grandmother was a Daughter of the American Revolution member (a direct decedent of Daniel Boone too). I guess that means that I could join.

amy31416
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I'll read these in full tomorrow (only just skimmed it)... I have a book's worth of reading queued up for tomorrow. I'm probably speaking in ignorance here, but when I wrote my original post, I had nationalism instead of white ethnocentrism. I still contend that the whole point of promoting heritage is an effort to indoctrinate others with ethnocentrism and to then use the Founders (the vast majority racist, some even slaveholders) as superhuman authorities who should be trusted in full. Thus, we justify (mostly through cognitive dissonance, or as Kade would call it, willful ignorance) the unethical by claiming our attitude is too narrow-minded. After all, who are we to challenge a great and (might-as-well-be) sacred entity such as Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, or "Honest" Abe?

(Beware - a rant!) Organizations such as Stormfront regularly quote Founders (just look at this garbage (http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=539689)). They mask their unethical racism with heritage and tradition. Indeed, they are one of the most obvious examples of "willful ignorance" To say that you wave a Confederate flag because you want to celebrate heritage is ridiculous. There are many more symbols or liberty and Anti-Federalism without the known baggage of the Confederate flag. While I'm ranting... Tolerance itself is racist. We tolerate the behaviors of others because they have "baggage" or because they lived in a different time! It's frustrating and contrary to the message of freedom! What is right and wrong ethically does not change over time or based on race. Murder is never acceptable, for example. Slavery is unacceptable (indeed, that does include usury!). Such disrespect should not be TOLERATED in any person, whether white, black, dead, or afflicted by mental retardation!

The celebration; the emotional attachment and faith in something which is not perfect is a trap! To have faith in imperfection is self-hating and will force you to live as hopeless nothing. There is absolutely NO reason to glorify people or collectives which are imperfect! Glorify perfect ideas, promote them, spread them, but to promote imperfection will only result in more imperfection. If you would not promote racism, why would you ever promote a racist?

There may well have been good people in the Revolution, but we must also remember that, at least, some of the American Revolution (almost every war, American or otherwise, really...) was fought with deception (hype/fear-mongering) and the oppression of their own individuals. As just one example, think of the draft in the American Civil War. Neither the Union or Confederacy permitted conscientious objectors to stay out of the war without somehow assisting in the murder of other individuals (originally, the Confederacy did not even permit the exclusion of COs from combat).

History books LOVE to promote ethnocentrism, nationalism and "Patriotism". These very books which glorify our Founders and "heritage" are the same which exclude their REAL history. They wouldn't dare present history objectively, less the State education department strip the company of the privilege to have their textbooks used in schools. Teachers are not permitted to espouse opinions, less they want to be charged with indoctrinating students. I see the very same "liberty-loving" people condemn moral relativism and political correctness while also condemning educators (and educational tools) daring to share their own views with students, whether it be their belief in Christianity or "liberal" views. God forbid someone tell students there is a belief system outside of their parents'. The parents' belief that they are freeing their child(ren) from indoctrination is just more willful ignorance in an attempt to control them for the parents' own selfish desires! The same parents who attack public education as indoctrination, INDOCTRINATE THEIR OWN KIDS!!!

*sighs and shuts up*

Yeah, there's all that. But then again it's just kinda nifty to be related to revolutionaries who were key in forming America.

If I had no life, I might focus a lot on that. Oh wait, I have no life and I still don't focus on that. Hmm, if I had no life and was overly-concerned about "proving" that I was better than other people, I might be overly-concerned about it.

Hell, if I were related to Richard Feynman, I'd brag about it every chance I got. I think it's similar to that, in a way. But I'm admittedly not very much like the people I'm related to, so it's a kind of fun genealogical fact. Just like the fact that my maternal grandmother's family is from Transylvania. Fun!

Scribbler de Stebbing
02-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I went through a lot of work to prove my line a few years back. It can be a LOT of work. I learned a lot about not only my family's history, but American and regional history. Well worth it.

I haven't done much with the organization since receiving my certificate, but it's nice to know I have it.

Aratus
02-04-2009, 09:01 AM
there was the day when FDR addressed the D.A.R as "my fellow immigrants"...

shemdogg, the noble outfits in question traditionally have often been quite stuffy...

keep in mind there are two "sons" of the revolution groups competing for membership

if you can tolerate some of the snobbery & quiet boredom that may go hand in hand, do join!

PhantomSTi
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm supposedly related to Betsy Ross and Frank Cole (from the James gang, cousin of Jesse James). It'll be interesting trying to go back and trace my roots. Apparently on my fathers side of my family one of our relatives already did all of the grunt work of that side of our family tree and traced back our family all the way back to 1640.

I'm pretty interested in joining this org :).

Aratus
02-04-2009, 12:32 PM
it could prove to be quite fun, yet you also need a degree of patience
and a sense of history in order to get the most out of the group, i think!

BarryDonegan
02-04-2009, 01:22 PM
i disagree with you about the confederate flag. many people choose to defend that particular flag because to them, the non slave-owning southerners who were persecuted during that war, the lost lives are what is an issue, not the freedom and liberty as much.

note in some southern cities, even those with borderline majority black populations, it is perfectly OK to wave that flag. for example, Atlanta, which was a victim of a major war crime during the war, it is very common to see the flag.

it all depends. however, from where I am from, there are people alive who had family members who lost family members in that war. it would certainly be someone elderly, but the tradition gets passed down.

the great majority of lives lost int he Civil War were just families who saw an invading army march onto their property and defended themselves as best they could, until they were gunned down in their own yard, wrong place at the wrong time style.

so to tell someone they can't fly a flag that to them represents a violent atrocity committed against them is just political correctness for political correctness sake. it is unfair that the race issue got injected into the Civil War after the fact for political cover, but it had little to do with it during the time. it was more about import/export tariffs.

Roxi
02-04-2009, 01:48 PM
shem thats awesome.... my boyfriends mom is very actively involved in DAR and heads up a KC chapter, its really cool stuff, shes on my facebook she could probably help answer questions for you so PM me on there if you want

Carson
06-29-2013, 10:19 PM
My great grandmother was a Daughter of the American Revolution member (a direct decedent of Daniel Boone too). I guess that means that I could join.

axiomata,

I think we must be related in some way.

My Grandmother told me that Kit Carson was my Great, Great, Grandmothers Sisters Son. Not a direct relation but one she and the family were still proud of. She also said that the Carson side of the family was related to Danial Boone and the other Boone's in some way so she figured we were also. She said there wasn't a whole lot of people back then and we were all sort of intertwined.

I also found out recently my Mom is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. I didn't know joining was a requirement. I sort of figure your born into it. Anyway my Great, Great, Great, Great, Grandfather was Nathaniel Venable. He started one of the first colleges in the newly founded country (http://www.hsc.edu/About-Hampden-Sydney/History-of-H-SC/Slate-Hill-Plantation-The-Birthplace/Slate-Hill-Gallery.html).

He was also a member of the House of Burgess when Patrick Henry made the "Give me Liberty or Give Me Death" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_me_liberty,_or_give_me_death!)speech. I'm thinking. I could have it all mixed up though.

Reading up on him has been sort of a trip. Here are a couple that stood out for me. This first one seems like the main problem getting the college going was keeping the students fed.

" 'The chief difficulty was in procuring provisions for the students and in securing some one to attend to its preparation. Nathaniel Venable and James Allen, Sr., came to the rescue, pledged themselves to furnish twelve months' provisions, and contracted with Mr. Young to act as Steward and furnish board at twenty pounds per student, per annum.'

This one is about my Great, Great, Great, Great, Grandmother;

" 'When Tarleton and Arnold invaded Virginia, a detachment passed through Prince Edward on a general plundering expedition. This they could do with impunity as all the able-bodied men were absent in the American Army. They visited 'Slate Hill' with the purpose of capturing Nathaniel Venable; but he escaped them, having received timely warning of their approach. They committed some robberies, destroyed some furniture, and one of their number, with a pistol pointed at the breast of Mrs. Venable, demanded that she reveal her husband's whereabouts, or he would shoot her down. Her calm reply was, 'Fire away! My husband has his country to defend!.' At this instance an officer intervened and ordered away the man who had offered the indignity, severely reprimanding him.'

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=hagerj&id=I303699

The first time I read this I thought they were talking about collage kids and the American Revolution;

1861 - THE HAMPDEN-SYDNEY BOYS

At the outset of the Civil War the student body organized a company with the President, Dr. J.M.P. Atkinson (for whom Atkinson Avenue is named), as captain. These men, officially named the "Hampden-Sydney Boys," saw action in the disaster of Rich Mountain (July 9-11, 1861), were captured, and were paroled by General George B. McClellan on the condition that they return to their studies. The group was Company G of the 20th Virginia Regiment.

http://www.hsc.edu/About-Hampden-Sydney/History-of-H-SC/Military-Moments.html

Oh. Here is one about the college and the American Revolution.

Indeed, the original students eagerly committed themselves to the revolutionary effort, organized a militia-company, drilled regularly, and went off to the defenses of Williamsburg, and of Petersburg, in 1777 and 1778 respectively. Their uniform of hunting-shirts — dyed purple with the juice of pokeberries — and grey trousers justifies the College's traditional colors, garnet and grey.

http://www.lincolnshire-wolds.org/all-lincolnshire/2/51908.htm

Anti Federalist
06-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Raises hand.

Carlybee
06-29-2013, 11:55 PM
I am eligible. Some of my cousins are in it but I've never really been interested in joining. (just one more thing I don't have time for).

mad cow
06-30-2013, 12:17 AM
My Aunt,My father's sister,Is in the DAR.He never joined,nor his father before him and they are party animals compared to me.

I would join if there was no or minimal paperwork,They sent me a free coffee mug or something and promised to never,ever,ever email or snail mail or call me about anything whatsoever for as long as their organization existed.

And I could use a new coffee mug.

Carson
06-30-2013, 12:48 AM
I started wondering how many descendants we have today that lead back to what number of original members of the revolution. I wasn't really able to Google up and answer. I sort of gave up when I hit this, though it is about half of the answer;

About Daughters of the American Revolution Lineage Books (152 Vols.)

This collection now contains nearly 2.4 million names and is a valuable collection for anyone with ancestors who fought in the American Revolution.

http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3174

Some basic background:

Daughters of the American Revolution
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daughters_of_the_American_Revolution

DAR's motto is "God, Home, and Country."

Sola_Fide
06-30-2013, 12:55 AM
I talked to the President of the Daughters of the Revolution a couple years ago when they were in Kentucky. She is a very sweet woman.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-30-2013, 01:47 AM
I am a member of SAR but in all honesty we don't really do anything in my area. I don't think we have many members here at all so there is not even a point in having meetings. I am also a member of the SCV and we do have meetings but also don't really do much.

amy31416
06-30-2013, 03:17 AM
Yeah, I could join, but I don't see the point. I'd just have to dig up a lot of paperwork.

Lucille
06-30-2013, 11:27 AM
I just send in my request to join DAR a few weeks ago! John Reed #A094425 <Anyone else related to him? I know it's a long shot, but you never know!

Thank you! Your request is being processed.

Your information is being added to our database. The State Membership Chairman
in your state is also being contacted. She will notify a local chapter, who will
contact you. Chapters meet once a month, September thru May, so please allow up
to two months for chapter contact.

BuddyRey
06-30-2013, 07:21 PM
I wish I could trace my genealogy back to the founding generation, but so far, I just have to be content with the one ancestor I'm aware of who fought in the second American Revolution as a Confederate Infantryman, serving honorably until he took a musketball through the hand.

Roxi
06-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Eligible, but can't afford to prove it yet. Someday. Some very important people to me are very involved in DAR. Their conference in DC was this last week.

Brian4Liberty
06-30-2013, 11:07 PM
//

Carson
06-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Eligible, but can't afford to prove it yet. Someday. Some very important people to me are very involved in DAR. Their conference in DC was this last week.

Maybe you could work with some relatives and together see something happen?

muzzled dogg
08-28-2013, 05:00 PM
bump?

Koz
08-29-2013, 08:12 PM
My wife is a member of the DAR. Mostly about celebrating heritage. However, the DAR has the largest geneological library in the world apparently.

mosquitobite
08-29-2013, 08:14 PM
I am a DAR but haven't gotten all the documentation together to make it official.

As a cool side note, Thomas Jefferson is my 1st cousin 9x removed. :D

fr33
08-29-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't qualify.

RockEnds
08-29-2013, 08:32 PM
I have the ancestors and the paperwork to prove them. But getting the paperwork was a long, drawn out, ugly deal since I am an adoptee. I've spent all of my energy just getting the paperwork, and I'm too tired for a new project. ;) I had what I needed to prove my mother, but it was a bit of a legal battle to get the paperwork to prove my dad. They thought it might be easier to prove my father from the beginning than to try to add him later. I do have the paperwork now.

I've heard people say it's a stuffy organization, and maybe it is. I attended several meetings two or three years back while I was still working on my paperwork. My local chapter didn't seem stuffy.

muzzled dogg
09-06-2013, 11:09 AM
probably going to be submitting application soon

TonySutton
09-06-2013, 11:33 AM
wow apparently I am related to Captain Jacob Warrick Chapter, oops Captain Jacob Warrick

jllundqu
09-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm SAR. My great-great-great (don't know how many 'greats') grandfather, Peter LaForge fought in the American Revolution, 1st Regiment Westchester County, NY under Colonel Drake and Colonel James Harrison. His Grandson (also my great-great-grandfather) Peter D. LaForge was wounded at Vickburg 13th Ill. Infantry, served June 1861 - June 1864.

I'm very proud of my heritage and knowing that my ancestors fought against tyranny in a very real sense helps me on dark days...

FloralScent
09-06-2013, 12:00 PM
My grandmother did the research and signed me and my cousins up for Children of the Revolution back in the 80s. I've never followed up or tried to become a Son. If they were fire-breathing radicals I'd be all in, but as far as I know they don't mess with politics at all so why bother.

devil21
09-06-2013, 05:36 PM
My grandmother is a DAR member. She was big into genealogy but the only name I specifically remember her mentioning relation to was Robert E. Lee by marriage. Obviously the wrong era for DAR.

Carson
09-06-2013, 11:20 PM
My grandmother is a DAR member. She was big into genealogy but the only name I specifically remember her mentioning relation to was Robert E. Lee by marriage. Obviously the wrong era for DAR.

Should be pretty easy to check it out some.

Here's a link to a Google search on, "Robert E. Lee family tree".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_family

Robert Edward Lee, I (1807 - 1870 was born only a generation or two after the American Revolution.

The images link might be of interest to you to look for resemblances.

https://www.google.com/search?q=robert+e+lee+family+tree&client=firefox-a&hs=hOC&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XLYqUtT8BoegiQLyhICICw&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1230&bih=849

devil21
09-07-2013, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the info Carson. Clicking that link almost made my head explode!

Carson
09-07-2013, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the info Carson. Clicking that link almost made my head explode!

A couple of things I noticed in your family history in common with some of what I read of my own was the House of Burgesses and the state of Virginia.

devil21
09-08-2013, 03:39 AM
A couple of things I noticed in your family history in common with some of what I read of my own was the House of Burgesses and the state of Virginia.

Hittin close to home there. What do you mean by my family history? Just a R.E.L connection? PM me if we can talk privately about family histories.

I was given a DAR excellence in history award in elementary school and I've always kinda wondered why....I figure now that grandmother pulled some strings ;)

muzzled dogg
09-13-2013, 06:19 PM
application submitted

Carson
09-13-2013, 11:13 PM
application submitted

Good deal shemdogg.

Was it a hassle?

muzzled dogg
09-14-2013, 07:50 AM
nah my mom was a DAR so i guilt tripped the chapter into basically filling out the chapter for me