PDA

View Full Version : Starting organization, mission statement wanted.

Aakron
02-02-2009, 06:11 PM
The first thing I need to do is formally establish a mission. If you are reading this, consider yourself a highly valued person in helping determining that mission statement. I have a draft already made at http://www.CommunityCrown.com

At first it was to strictly be like a Ron Paul website, but I figure why limit it just to the US? I want everybody to have freedom. But if it is a global movement then it is more or less the opposite of what I want it to be, which is more of a movement for individual communities, not for the entire world.

The website statement is just a draft. My latest version in my head right now is :
We the people want:
Liberty – Maximum Individual Rights and Freedoms
Democracy - Individual Power and Freedom
Community Empowerment - Local Governance
Transparency in publicly owned or funded organizations
Coexistence by the Golden Rule

Now I realize these sound great to most people but I actually question all of them as a matter of policy of questioning pretty much everything (especially government :)).

I question firstly whether I really want to say "community empowerment". I mean obviously most of us want to transfer powers from federal to state in the US, but do we really want to support in general going beyond that and for example have the state delegate powers to counties or cities, and then cities delegate power to neighborhoods. It just sounds a bit messy to me and somewhat anarchic. I think perhaps it could be supported in a limited fashion, but if it is such a limited fashion then it may not belong in the core mission at the very top of the page.

Then there is the golden rule thing... does it really belong there? Is that a forced moral value or something that just has to be there, or something that should be changed?

Then there is democracy. Well, the USA is a republic not a democracy. So I suppose I'm not sure how that would work out if that was a stated goal.

And regarding the transparency I put the limitations of it right in the statement. I think we are only worried about transparency in where our money is going. But in other areas such as military positions and exact capabilities I question whether we want any transparency at all. So I want help in knowing if I put the correct words in there to correctly define the transparency.

Every opinion wanted!

lucius
02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Welcome, I admire your passion and intent. Solari: http://solari.com/ is another website who I think is also staying 'well' in the solution.

steve005
02-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Mission; To obey the constitution, and follow the constitution

torchbearer
02-02-2009, 08:55 PM
should read like:
Republic - Individual Power and Freedom

Democracy is tyranny of the majority.
Only the majority have rights in a democracy.

lucius
02-03-2009, 03:29 PM
^^

LittleLightShining
02-03-2009, 04:15 PM
should read like:
Republic - Individual Power and Freedom

Democracy is tyranny of the majority.
Only the majority have rights in a democracy.

It is the besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which the masses of men exhibit their tyranny.- James Fenimore Cooper

Aakron
02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
It is the besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which the masses of men exhibit their tyranny.- James Fenimore Cooper

I believe that republics can be seen as implementations of democracies. I can see how democracies could be a tyranny of the majority, but then republics too. So, I've simply taken the item off the list completely and replaced it with "participation in government."

Revised list:
Tier 1:
Improve the lives of individuals.
Campaign for Liberty - Individual rights and freedoms.
Empower Communities - Local governance.
Increase participation in government.
Tier 2:
Improve the foundations of our economies & environments.
Transparency in publicly owned or funded organizations.
A USA that follows its constitution.
The Carbon Rule - Live and let live.

I added in "improve the lives of individuals" because I think it is better left said than unsaid. Obviously "improving people's lives" is the point of the other things on the list, but by having that on there it gives the organization a bit more flexibility if there is a campaign that doesn't precicely fit in with the listed items but is none the less something that is clearly beneficial.

I replaced the golden rule "treat your neighbor as you would yourself" because some people treat themselves really lousy. So, the carbon rule may actually be an improvement because you can treat yourself like crap and it would still be a good rule to follow.

I added two other items:
- Bring back the US contsitution. I think all countries deserve freedom if they want it so it is hard for me to say something specific to this country and have them feel like they have to start their own identical organization except for the name of their country. Yet I think all countries would benefit from ours following its origanal plan required by our constitution.
- Foundation for the economy and environment. Having both of those is important to freedom. Its like the Iraqi's were saying when they "got their freedom"... "I can't eat freedom, so it isn't that great". In other words if you are economic slaves then you don't have freedom. Nor are you all that free if you have to breath in toxic chemicals all day long.

amy31416
02-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Howzabout some sorta emphasis on individual sovereignty?

Big fan.

UtahApocalypse
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Crowns makes me think of Monarchy.... No thanks

torchbearer
02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Crowns makes me think of Monarchy.... No thanks

a monarchy is better than a democracy.
You are more likely to get one person as a benevolent ruler, that a mob to be benevolent.
Imagine a libertarian king. ron paul as a monarch. all he wants to do is protect your rights. thats it. and his son... the hier to throne.. believes the same... in that line of kings... a kingdom would prosper...
of course, with a benevolent libertarian mob, you can have a libertarian democracy... with laws just to protect the rights of the individual... but you are less likely to have such a thing in a democracy.

Just looking at those two objectively.

Aakron
02-03-2009, 08:04 PM
So wait a second the name "Community Crown" suggests establishing local monarchies? :D I hope not but can see your point! If that is the case I need a new name for sure. What I thought "Community Crown" suggested was taking power from the elite and placing in the hands of the people who want to participate in government. It was also supposed to suggest moving from larger scope government to smaller scope government. But if that is not what comes across with the name then it needs to be changed. Does anybody else agree the name needs to change?

amy31416, isn't "individual sovereignty" emphasised by the goals "Live and let Live" and also by the very first item which is liberty. I'm not sure how I would go beyond that.

Thanks to all of you for all the feedback... I need it more than I thought, clearly.

torchbearer
02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
So wait a second the name "Community Crown" suggests establishing local monarchies? :D I hope not but can see your point! If that is the case I need a new name for sure. What I thought "Community Crown" suggested was taking power from the elite and placing in the hands of the people. It was also supposed to suggest moving from larger scope government to smaller scope government. But if that is not what comes across with the name then it needs to be changed. Does anybody else agree the name needs to change?

amy31416, isn't "individual sovereignty" emphasised by the goals "Live and let Live" and also by the very first item which is liberty. I'm not sure how I would go beyond that.

Thanks to all of you for all the feedback... I need it more than I thought, clearly.

IN our republic. Every Man is to be a king, but no one man wears the crown.
Does that make sense?

Aakron
02-03-2009, 08:17 PM
IN our republic. Every Man is to be a king, but no one man wears the crown.
Does that make sense?

It makes sense to me but then again I want it to make sense because I just paid $35 for the logo + $10 for the domain name :)

steve005
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I love the name and the idea! keep it up

Ex Post Facto
02-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I really like the idea. It's a good start.

lucius
02-04-2009, 01:17 PM
^^

lucius
02-05-2009, 01:33 PM
bump