PDA

View Full Version : Government To Nationalize Papers?

angelatc
02-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Here come the bailouts:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123353263226537457.html

Philadelphia Media Holdings is in default on its loans, having missed debt payments going back to June. With no buyers knocking on the door, the Philadelphia Bulletin has reported, owner Brian Tierney went hat-in-hand to the Governor's office to talk about giving the paper some public help. Mr. Tierney won't comment on the record, while Mr. Rendell's spokesman tells us the conversations weren't specific but that state help is a possibility.

heavenlyboy34
02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Here come the bailouts:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123353263226537457.html

And they called me crazy when I called the bailout mania fascist. :rolleyes: Thanx for the post. :)

LibertyEagle
02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
And they called me crazy when I called the bailout mania fascist. :rolleyes: Thanx for the post. :)

No. You were spot on with that.

M House
02-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah, well it's cool I get all my news from TW and Lewrockwell.

acptulsa
02-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah, they've been preaching down to the public and reporting very selectively since forever, and they wonder how they could possibly have come to this. Well, they can put together their own little Pravda in the face of all that the Founding Fathers said about why it wouldn't work. Just as long as they allow me to have my free internet and an off switch on my tv, it's all good.

ihsv
02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Cool! Government-sponsored bird cage liners!

BenjFranklin
02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Here is a clause out of the PA Constitution:

Commonwealth Credit Not to Be Pledged
Section 8.
The credit of the Commonwealth shall not be pledged or loaned to any individual, company, corporation or association nor shall the Commonwealth become a joint owner or stockholder in any company, corporation or association.

I'm sure state lawyers have some tortured interperatation to justify bailing out yet another private company. This is alot creepier however, being a newspaper.

The_Orlonater
02-02-2009, 05:30 PM
How sweet, the state is going to deliver news for us.

heavenlyboy34
02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
How sweet, the state is going to deliver news for us.

Perhaps Obama will add a new "department of the media" to the cabinet. ;):D:eek: (has a rather Orwellian ring to it, doesn't it?)

JoshLowry
02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
If your business fails, you go out of business or you sell it.

This is not a hard concept to grasp. :mad: :( :rolleyes:

The Dan
02-02-2009, 05:43 PM
The way the main stream media has been reporting the news, I'm not sure it would really make that big of a difference; except in who gets all that advertising money.

slacker921
02-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Here is a clause out of the PA Constitution:

Commonwealth Credit Not to Be Pledged
Section 8.
The credit of the Commonwealth shall not be pledged or loaned to any individual, company, corporation or association nor shall the Commonwealth become a joint owner or stockholder in any company, corporation or association.

I'm sure state lawyers have some tortured interperatation to justify bailing out yet another private company. This is alot creepier however, being a newspaper.

It's just a damn piece of paper.. and the failed newspapers are obviously far more valuable.

lucius
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
If your business fails, you go out of business or you sell it.

This is not a hard concept to grasp. :mad: :( :rolleyes:

Nor this concept: privatize the profits, socialize the loses...they play by different rules.