PDA

View Full Version : Holy Smokes: Gaddafi Selected As Head Of African Union

angelatc
02-02-2009, 09:35 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7864604.stm

For those younger than 35, suffice to say that this guy would be dead if our aggressive foreign policy had existed in the '70's.

http://www.answers.com/topic/muammar-al-qaddafi

Zolah
02-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Changes every year, EU presidency is every 6 months I think.

Gaddafi is supposedly a very different man nowadays, I've seen him saying some good things, doing good things, and equally dumb things...as long as he does what's best for the people of Libya I'll have no quarrells. As for the pan-African stuff mentioned there, Africa would be one place where I would assume it's not likely to make much progress, with respect to the hostility I perceive between the southern hemisphere and northern hemisphere of Africa, roughly.

Sandra
02-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Changes every year, EU presidency is every 6 months I think.

Gaddafi is supposedly a very different man nowadays, I've seen him saying some good things, doing good things, and equally dumb things...as long as he does what's best for the people of Libya I'll have no quarrells. As for the pan-African stuff mentioned there, Africa would be one place where I would assume it's not likely to make much progress, with respect to the hostility I perceive between the southern hemisphere and northern hemisphere of Africa, roughly.

I noticed you were from Scotland. What's being said about the new Lockerbie investigation locally?

Zolah
02-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I noticed you were from Scotland. What's being said about the new Lockerbie investigation locally?

All I've heard about Lockerbie recently is that a man with some responsibility for it serving time in prison was denied the opportunity to spend the rest of his life with his family, with him having some form of terminal cancer I think, can't remember the details, but this story was a few months ago. No one really cares about what happened at Lockerbie that I've ever spoken to, regarding older generations that is - because younger generations would have no idea what I'm talking about.

Monolithic
02-02-2009, 02:11 PM
yeah, gadaffi's gotten a lot better than he was in the 70s and 80s, he's more of a moderate now, works to shut down islamists in his country, tries to help further womens rights, stuff like that

he's the main reason libya has the highest Human Development Index in africa

mconder
02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I guess all you need to do to change these guys is lob a few cruise missiles at them from time to time.

Sandra
02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
I guess all you need to do to change these guys is lob a few cruise missiles at them from time to time.

Apparently you aren't aware of the current situation. The US is being accused of faking the evidence against Libya for Lockerbie.

Israeli intelligence officers are now saying Israel framed Libya for a disco bombing that Israel carried out in the 80's.