View Full Version : Teens weigh draft-surprising answers

cindy25
02-01-2009, 08:18 PM
8-1 in favor of a draft?

is this an accurate representation?

http://www.thereporter.com/features/ci_11602955

Teens weigh in about mandatory draft
Posted: 02/01/2009 01:01:39 AM PST

Dear Readers: I recently did a column on reinstating the draft -- with nonmilitary options (Dec. 31, 2008). I spoke of the apathy, entitlement, and lack of practical skills that define many youth today, and how, through mandatory national service, we could not only repair America's crumbling infrastructure and meet an array of unfunded social needs, but youth would receive a lifelong work ethic and financial perks to launch them into adulthood.

Today I present the panel's response to this idea -- which, so far, is about 80 percent favorable. To post your viewpoint, please visit www.straighttalkforteens.com.

Emily, 16, Sacramento: This idea not only helps our country, it gives young people purpose and life skills. I would choose work in suicide prevention. Helping others is a big part of my life. For it to be a "given" rather than something I have to make extra time for would be amazing. Service should be matched with aptitude and personality. But where do we place the totally unmotivated?

Lara, 17, Fair Oaks: We have a similar draft with nonmilitary options in Austria, where I have dual citizenship. One friend is working with children in Russia, another in India, and many choose the military option to get in shape. It's a bummer to force people, but it would make us less self-centered. In Austria, nobody considers the draft as negative or forced, it's just service.

Geoff, 23, Redding:
Advertisement
Where's the controversy? A program where kids give back to society with future perks of tuition payments, special mortgage rates, fast-tracking into jobs would be totally awesome. But this has to be a federal program. Delegating to states would be a mess (look at the insurance industry). I would love to see it happen, but am skeptical of its execution.

Ashley, 20 Auburn: It's a good idea. But what teenager will want to do it? And what happens when someone refuses? Do they go to jail?

Dominic, 22, San Luis Obispo: I'm against government forcing me to participate in anything. Patriotism should come from within. I would feel pride participating in community service, but forcing it defeats what this country stands for.

Sawyer, 17, Fair Oaks: A draft with non-military options is a good idea. Many young people dislike America, which is not the mindset we need. Service should be 18 months, with ability to extend into supervisory and career-tracks, starting anywhere between age 18 and 25 so you can travel or attend college first if you want. But what about all the high school dropouts who are under 18?

Kenny, 20, Fresno: I am joining the Navy. In college I went into a slump and alcohol/drugs become temptations. So much of college is about partying. So many kids are drifting and lazy. Every single one of my peers plays video games, 30 percent addictively (for younger teens, 80 percent play addictively). We need a national service program like this and every field of service should have physical training.

Fernando, 20, Monterey: I'm in the Navy (my comments don't reflect the views of the US Navy) and I wouldn't want a forced draft into the armed services -- someone resentful about that only puts my life at risk. But I have no problem with mandatory service where you choose between military or Peace Corpsesque options. Serving your country is an honor everyone should experience. I'm more proud of my country and appreciate my life more after tasting the sacrifices that made it possible.

Rachel, 17, Fair Oaks: I used to cringe at the word "draft." Then I presented a similar idea in a school debate and my entire class woke up and saw how mandatory service would only promote our country. We've become "every man for himself." Mandatory service puts everyone in the same boat -- and it will take everyone to improve this boat.

Write to Straight Talk at www.StraightTalkForTeen or PO Box 963, Fair Oaks CA 95628.

Andrew Ryan
02-01-2009, 08:46 PM
God I hate people.

JeNNiF00F00
02-01-2009, 09:03 PM
If I have learned anything in life, saying and doing are 2 totally different things.

nate895
02-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Bullshit. Kids are scared shitless where I go to school whenever the draft is mentioned as a possibility.

Kludge
02-01-2009, 09:10 PM
1) I seriously doubt the "results" are even remotely close to real numbers.

2) The article pissed me off from the start by using the word "draft" to describe National Service, which will probably be incentive-based, not mandatory (not that I support it either way).

3) "Many young people dislike America" What the fuck is this?

Original_Intent
02-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I think they got "F U Frank" to put their "panel" together.

Brassmouth
02-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Bullshit. Absolute bullshit.

Bruno
02-01-2009, 09:38 PM
People are for the draft until they realize Govt. can force them into any war they don't want to be in.

Kotin
02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
god damn sheep.

"take my freedom, give me comfort"

Conza88
02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
All I ask is when they start imprisoning people who refuse to go... can they put us all together in the same place, so we can start the revolution, far less ground to cover?

cindy25
02-01-2009, 09:53 PM
scared of a military draft but a surprising fasination with mandatory civilian service among parents and students.

satchelmcqueen
02-01-2009, 09:57 PM
fuck this shit! a bunch of fucking lies! if the youth real;ly think this its either because A. (the answers are lies or B. (the answers are from dumb asses that have no fucking clue about life or freedoms.

i say, ask these same retards the same questions after they have had to raise a family and pay ridiculous taxes out the ass, before you can even try and support the people whom you call your wife and kids, only to be lied to by your very own government at any and all cost!

fuck this report!

zach
02-01-2009, 10:16 PM
sounds like the hypnotism worked with the eager young minds.. :rolleyes:

satchelmcqueen
02-01-2009, 10:20 PM
sounds like the hypnotism worked with the eager young minds.. :rolleyes:

yes! before i got married or had any responsibility, i was all for "what ever". after i tried to make a living and support a family at age 19, i was like, what the hell! most of my check was raped by my own government. most of my efforts were raped by my own gov.

these kids in this survey have no clue.

Athan
02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
I think they got "F U Frank" to put their "panel" together.

Fucking F-luntz.

M House
02-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much such a cherry-picked load of bullshit. I haven't talked to too many young people that expressing that much love of country right now. Most are kinda struggling to get minimum wage jobs and many of the people I've talked to at school didn't find the draft very amusing.

Pauls' Revere
02-02-2009, 12:24 AM
send them into the Mideast meatgrinder.

sdczen
02-02-2009, 01:00 AM
With high school dropout rate at around a 50% in large cities, I can't imagine how this "mandatory service" would work out.

cindy25
02-02-2009, 01:25 AM
they promise free college (if you get in) , and they make it mandatory so the "rich" will also serve.

idiom
02-02-2009, 04:09 AM
Lol, thats not the draft we all know and love.