PDA

View Full Version : Robert E. Lee would be 'very confused,' Obama jokes

torchbearer
02-01-2009, 02:39 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2009/02/62218794/1

The nation's first African-American president attended his first Alfalfa Club Dinner as commander in chief last night, and Barack Obama got into the spirit of the evening with jokes aimed at the dinner itself, his famously profane chief of staff and even himself.

According to the White House, among the jokes the president told were:

"I am seriously glad to be here tonight at the annual Alfalfa dinner. I know that many you are aware that this dinner began almost one hundred years ago as a way to celebrate the birthday of General Robert E. Lee. If he were here with us tonight, the general would be 202 years old. And very confused."

"Now, this hasn't been reported yet, but it was actually Rahm's idea to do the swearing-in ceremony again. Of course, for Rahm, every day is a swearing-in ceremony."

"But don't believe what you read. Rahm Emanuel (Obama's chief of staff) is a real sweetheart.

"No, it's true. Every week the guy takes a little time away to give back to the community. Just last week he was at a local school, teaching profanity to poor children."

"But these are the kind of negotiations you have to deal with as president. In just the first few weeks, I've had to engage in some of the toughest diplomacy of my life. And that was just to keep my BlackBerry.

"I finally agreed to limit the number of people who could e-mail me. It's a very exclusive list. How exclusive?

"Everyone look at the person sitting on your left. Now look at the person sitting on your right. None of you have my e-mail address."

As the Associated Press notes, among the others in attendance at the Capitol Hilton in Washington were 2008 Republican presidential nominee John McCain, a senator from Arizona, and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

The dinner is supposed to be off-the-record, but reports of what was said always leak out.

Politico reports that:

Looking to Joe Lieberman, the Democrat-turned-independent-turned McCain supporter, Obama told the Connecticut senator he had no hard feelings.

The door is always open, Obama assured Lieberman, who observes the Sabbath, so feel to drop by -- any Saturday afternoon.

To Palin, Obama expressed surprise to see her with such members of the Washington elite she railed against during the campaign. Or, as he termed it in language Palin is familiar with, "palling around with this crew."

The Washington Post says that Lieberman, who also spoke, "noted that former vice president Richard B. Cheney injured himself while moving into his new home, according to a source inside the dinner. 'I had no idea waterboards were so heavy,' Lieberman quipped."

And, the Post reports:

The incoming club president, Sen. Christopher S. Bond, R-Mo. reminded guests that a newspaper recently published a list of the 25 people most responsible for the global economic meltdown. "You know who you are," he said, according to the source. "And it's good to see you here tonight."

I think our founders would be really confused too.

nate895
02-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Naw, he would have said "I told you so" and walked out:

While I have considered the preservation of the constitutional power of the
General Government to be the foundation of our peace and safety at home
and abroad, I yet believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority
reserved to the states and to the people, not only are essential to the adjustment
and balance of the general system, but the safeguard to the continuance
of a free government. I consider it as the chief source of stability to our
political system, whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast republic,
sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain
precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded
it.

RSLudlum
02-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, he would be very confused but not for the reason that Obama presumes; Lee was known to not advocate slavery. Lee would think that he was in the wrong country because there is hardly no semblance of our federal system at all, the National Gov't has overrun all the states.

torchbearer
02-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Imagine a white president making a joke about MLK or Malcom 10.

Aratus
02-01-2009, 02:49 PM
our founders would be ever so much older than ol' virginny's gen'l lee... for the "were ben franklin alive today... he'd be REALLY old" quip springs to mind!

Aratus
02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
SNL hath ruined our political satire, and if we all be happy with a lesser satire, our humor is something we should not humour...

Aratus
02-01-2009, 02:56 PM
perhaps the worst or best quip was about the 25 people who MIGHT be in the room who let everything tank

lynnf
02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
nah, I submit that as with many other things, Obama is wrong about this, too. Marse Robert (Lee) as he was known, could easily recognize Satan when he saw him and was quite adept at kicking him aside. no confusion necessary.

lynn

FreeMama
02-01-2009, 11:46 PM
I am directly related to Robert E. Lee, and I am not confused :D

sratiug
02-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Lee would still be asking for a trial to find out what law he broke.

PatriotLegion
02-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Wow that's bad, such a hypocritical country we live in. Yes as many stated already in this post if white president would coin a phrase towards a black person it would be WW3 on the News, NAACP, ACLU and so on... And Lee would not be confused, but to be more enraged on the condition of the Republic and would have never let this happen...

Lee is in my opinion the Greatest General in American history!

Also not sure if many agree with me but if the South won the Country would be more like the original founding government with small government and individual liberties. But hey would be interesting to see how this went!

gaazn
02-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Lee wasn't even the best general in the Army of Northern VA. History shows that Stonewall could win without Lee, but Lee couldn't win without Stonewall.

torchbearer
02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Lee wasn't even the best general in the Army of Northern VA. History shows that Stonewall could win without Lee, but Lee couldn't win without Stonewall.

I say those men are equal.

dannno
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
perhaps the worst or best quip was about the 25 people who MIGHT be in the room who let everything tank

Lol, ya I Hope everybody caught that one!!

The incoming club president, Sen. Christopher S. Bond, R-Mo. reminded guests that a newspaper recently published a list of the 25 people most responsible for the global economic meltdown. "You know who you are," he said, according to the source. "And it's good to see you here tonight."

nate895
02-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Lee would still be asking for a trial to find out what law he broke.

You have Lee confused with Jefferson Davis. I believe Salmon P. Chase actually ruled in Ex Parte Davis that they didn't commit any crime.

PatriotLegion
02-03-2009, 12:41 PM

Lee had great tactics during the Mexican-American war and he knew weaknesses in everything and exploited it, he was a Captain at the time and near the end of the war he was fast tracked to a Lt. Colonel by Winfield Scott.

The later before the Civil War Lee was approached by the US to command an Army but refused as he may be fighting his Countrymen in Virginia, you know the rest!

Aratus
02-04-2009, 08:36 AM
saw this article today, hope its on topic http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29003595/?gt1=43001

torchbearer
02-12-2009, 02:33 PM
bump