PDA

View Full Version : GOP: Steele to appoint anti-Ron Paul hack Anuzis to RNC position.

Anti Federalist
02-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Spit your eye, and a swift kick in the ass.

That's what the GOP thinks of us.

First, a reminder of who Anuzis is:

From the Battle Creek Examiner (reposted at Reason)

Michigan party chairman Saul Anuzis said he will circulate a petition among Republican National Committee members to ban Paul from more debates. At a GOP candidates’ debate Tuesday night, Paul drew attacks from all sides, most forcefully from former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, when he linked the terror attacks to U.S. bombings.

..."I think he would have felt much more comfortable on the stage with the Democrats in what he said last night. And I think that he is a distraction in the Republican primary and he does not represent the base and he does not represent the party,” Anuzis said during an RNC state leadership meeting.

“Given what he said last night it was just so off the wall and out of whack that I think it was more detrimental than helpful.”

Anuzis said his petition would go to debate sponsors and broadcasters to discourage inviting Paul.

Steele reassures GOP's right flank (http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/01/steele-reassures-gops-right-flank/)
Reaches out to key challenger

Michael S. Steele, whose sixth-ballot victory Friday made him the first black leader of the Republican Party, immediately began mending fences within the Republican National Committee and showing conservative leadership muscle after the long and nasty five-way contest for chairman.

The former Maryland lieutenant governor has already told one of his chief rivals, conservative businessman and former Michigan Republican Party Chairman Saul Anuzis, that there will be a place for him in helping to run the RNC under Mr. Steele's chairmanship.

"He wants me to be part of it, no specifics," Mr. Anuzis told The Washington Times on Saturday. "We're to talk next week."

(snip)

Mr. Steele has "got to reassure the South, our strongest region, that he is a mainstream conservative who is not going to turn the party into 'Democrat lite,' " Mr. Norcross said. "He's got to show he is going to make our party competitive again in the Northeast but is not going to change the principles of the party to do that."

(snip)

Mr. Steele's election links to Mr. Nixon in another way -- it marks the unequivocal end of Mr. Nixon's domestic "Southern strategy" for an "emerging Republican majority," as it was called at the time.

That strategy subtly appealed to growing antagonisms over forced busing, job quotas and the perception of reverse discrimination. It helped establish an image of the Republican Party in the minds of most black Americans as not friendly to their interests.

Some Republicans now say that era is decisively over, given that a black Democrat sits in the White House and a black Republican now leads the opposition party in the country. (So of course, this was about nothing more than putting a black face in charge, all window dressing - AF)

puppetmaster
02-01-2009, 01:12 AM
love the GOP....we have to keep up the fight

Kotin
02-01-2009, 01:14 AM
those mother fuckers..

tremendoustie
02-01-2009, 01:46 AM
I only vote for RP republicans, so I don't really care what the party leadership does. Their BS candidates aren't going to get my vote anyway. Maybe we can take over enough local leadership positions to make him toe the line.

AdamT
02-01-2009, 01:48 AM
And Steele himself mocked RP after the 5-15-07 Faux debate, sat around making fun of him with Hannity afterwards. Dismissed his text poll win too.

Original_Intent
02-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Yeah it looks like the GOP found the two most vocal, snide, and dismissive of Ron Paul to fill it's leadership positions. I seriously question the wisdom of trying to work within the GOP. With the financial mess the country is in, it seems like the time might be ripe for a strong third party.

lynnf
02-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Yeah it looks like the GOP found the two most vocal, snide, and dismissive of Ron Paul to fill it's leadership positions. I seriously question the wisdom of trying to work within the GOP. With the financial mess the country is in, it seems like the time might be ripe for a strong third party.

if you can find a strong third party, go for it. since there isn't one, I will continue to work within the Republican party. the system is set up to work against third parties and that won't change without a change of the rules, which won't happen before 2012, unless a miracle occurs.

lynn

Isaac Bickerstaff
02-01-2009, 08:41 AM
The harder we work within the MOP ("M" is for moldy), the more impotent the leadership will look. I think we should stay in because the base would be aligned with us if they just thought a little. The leadership will look foolish trying to defend themselves against our constant jabs. Besides, I refuse to leave just because that's what they want us to do.

iddo
02-01-2009, 08:51 AM
First, a reminder of who Anuzis is...

Both Anuzis and Steele somewhat backtracked later:

Saul Anuzis: In the end, nothing happened. Basically, the night of the debate, I was down there, and I reacted to what I perceived Ron Paul to have said, which is basically to blame America for the attacks of 9/11. The next day, everybody talked about it, the reports came out, people read the transcripts, and he didn't actually say that. He said, he was talking about American policy, and the effects of American policy there. And the reality is, we never introduced any resolution, there was never a petition, and that morning we basically just dropped the subject. [...] I've invited Ron Paul, I've invited all the candidates. Every candidate has been invited to come to Mackinac, if he's available and he can make it, we'd love to have him. [...] Actually I'd argue they ought to make me the honorary national co-chairman for the Ron Paul campaign, because what I've probably started doubled his name ID and got him more exposure that he'd have ever gotten on his own. So from that regard you guys ought to be sending me flowers rather than nasty emails, give me a break. [...] Whoever the Republican nominee, I'll be out there supporting him, and if it's Ron Paul, I'll be front and center.

Michael Steele: I think Ron Paul has established his legitimacy in this race.

See the relevant links at: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ron_Paul#Quotes_about_Ron_Paul

Lucille
02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Ron Paul Question asked at RNC Debate! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pHuSwjXmfk)

james1844
02-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I think what happened was that Steele cut a deal with Azunis to win the Chairmanship. Azunis would have his people vote for Steele in return for later consideration by Steele. It looks like whats happening is that the Azunis appointment has more to do with politics and less to do with anti-Ron Paul sentiment.

angelatc
02-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I believe that the Michiganders were able to make peace with Anuzis, and requested that the rest of us move past it.

UtahApocalypse
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Seriously people...... ARE WE DONE WITH THE GOP YET?!?!?!?!?!?!

driller80545
02-01-2009, 11:28 AM
The Republican Party that RP represents is dead and has been dead for a long time. I think that RP as well as the rest of us would be better off to accept the fact and move into something more positive. IMHO.

speciallyblend
02-01-2009, 11:43 AM
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS/ THE GOP IS OFFICIALLY DEAD IN MY EYES, sincerely registered Republican!!!

there is no reason to even try to promote the gop to anyone! Promoting the gop is like trying to get people to take food from the devil, NO DEAL .

I am just speechless. The funny part is if the gop thinks a black steele is gonna sell folks to the gop. wave bye bye to the gop, the ship is sinking!!! and it is not worth saving anymore!!

RON PAUL REPUBLICANS WAKE UP, WE NEED TO consider a NEW PARTY, THE LIBERTY PARTY that is inclusive to republicans,libertarians,democrats,indys and others.

LIBERTY PARTY, i think has more of a chance to move forward. The Brandname Republican/Gop is not worth buying anymore!!!

speciallyblend
02-01-2009, 11:48 AM

DONE FINISHED. i will be focusing locally and to be honest there is no need for the gop in my county. They were evicted last election and the liberty minded people are not in the republican party anymore except for name only(registered republicans didn't even vote republican here;).

Our voters spoke loud and clear and they sent the gop packing all over the co mtns;)

Colorado and Nevada sent the gop packing;)

speciallyblend
02-01-2009, 11:52 AM
The Republican Party that RP represents is dead and has been dead for a long time. I think that RP as well as the rest of us would be better off to accept the fact and move into something more positive. IMHO.

Liberty Party, NEW BRAND NAME that republicans and dems and indys and libertarians and cp and greens can join and then the gop/dnc cannot even attack the brand name without alienating their own voters:)

LIBERTY PARTY, BRING IT ON

As Grassroots we can form our own party,eventually the cfl and rpr and others would jump aboard if we are able to raise the funds;)

LIBERTY PARTY, has a nice ring. Politics does change if WE CHANGE IT!! the gop is going down the road of the whigs.They are a dying species!!!

worl
02-01-2009, 12:02 PM
These are the same people who censored Ron Paul & us. I haven't heard any one apoligize for how they treated us or agree with Ron Paul on anything. They basicly said, we want your votes, but not your ideas. They are like obama, they talk change, but change nothing.

speciallyblend
02-01-2009, 12:08 PM
These are the same people who censored Ron Paul & us. I haven't heard any one apoligize for how they treated us or agree with Ron Paul on anything. They basicly said, we want your votes, but not your ideas. They are like obama, they talk change, but change nothing.

yep. they have this game called BS and every card reads GOP!!!

amonasro
02-01-2009, 12:13 PM
if you can find a strong third party, go for it. since there isn't one, I will continue to work within the Republican party. the system is set up to work against third parties and that won't change without a change of the rules, which won't happen before 2012, unless a miracle occurs.

lynn

This is the way I see it. We have two bad choices and one is worse than the other. Ron Paul has continued to work hard within the GOP and we should respect his wishes.

Athan
02-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Motherfuckering neocons.
The whole fucking lot of them.

speciallyblend
02-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Motherfuckering neocons.
The whole fucking lot of them.

hmmm can you tell me how you really feel?;)

speciallyblend
02-01-2009, 12:19 PM
This is the way I see it. We have two bad choices and one is worse than the other. Ron Paul has continued to work hard within the GOP and we should respect his wishes.

that was before the election, actually the word on the street is work locally with whatever party structure suits you best for the Libery movement:)

It is all local politics. Depending on your state and county political power structure.

Work with all people from all parties.

LIBERTY HAS NO PARTY!!!!!

Original_Intent
02-01-2009, 12:48 PM

lynn

Yep the system is stacked against third parties, and as we clearly found this election, the system is equally stacked against "change from within" the party.

angelatc
02-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Brilliant plan. Give up on a party that has ballot access and agrees with us on about 85% of our platform in order to turn into another 3 or 5 third party efforts.

See ya.

speciallyblend
02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Brilliant plan. Give up on a party that has ballot access and agrees with us on about 85% of our platform in order to turn into another 3 or 5 third party efforts.

See ya.

or work with a party that is already electing liberty minded candidates. Liberty has no party.
It is all local politics work with the parties worth working with in your state or county. All politics is local,not every gop county party is worth saving some need to go away.

I will be putting my support behind liberty minded democrats who are more republican/libertarian then the gop or lp;) here in the Colorado Mtns!!!

Bman
02-01-2009, 01:13 PM

Not by a long shot. One of two things must happen.

1. We take over the Republican Party.

2. We stick around and make sure to stake it through the heart so there is room for new growth.

Lucille
02-01-2009, 01:33 PM

See ya.

You have a firm understanding that politics is the art of compromise. RPRs do need to rise above it, and be more reasonable than the Religious Right.

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.

* November 1994, Conservatives Without Conscience, John Dean

HOLLYWOOD
02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
RebuildtheWHAT.org?

What a crock of BS... Back to the Inner Clique NEOCON GOP FASCIST Power Bitches.

May the Totalitarian Circle Jerk begin! ...of course with Michael Steele as "PIVOT MAN" :rolleyes:

Scribbler de Stebbing
02-01-2009, 03:11 PM
If you lived in a nation whose government was starting to get oppressive, would you work to change that government, or would you set sail, hoping to find an island somewhere that didn't already have a government in place?

I know we'd LIKE to go off to find that new island, but we're also realistic about those chances, so we try to change our government here.

Has anyone here done anything to try to change the Republican Party? Many of us are working on it in MN.

michaelwise
02-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Saul Anuzis needs to realize that the old rules no longer apply.

fj45lvr
02-01-2009, 03:17 PM

lynn

the "miracle" will come in the collapse and subsequent revolution (country folk vs. city slickers) not too hard to guess who is going to win that one:)

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/countymapredbluer1024.png

kombayn
02-01-2009, 04:34 PM
^Please... The City Slickers would wipe out the Country Folk just like the first Civil War. The government has the City Slickers backs because they're the ones who make the money for the country.

fj45lvr
02-01-2009, 04:38 PM
^Please... The City Slickers would wipe out the Country Folk just like the first Civil War. The government has the City Slickers backs because they're the ones who make the money for the country.

I am not convinced. What are the city people gonna eat??? How are they gonna attack a spread out target?? (while their own urban centers are in utter and complete chaos with the animals that live there expecting their entitlements).

Bradley in DC
02-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Of the announced choices (I had been supporting Sunnunu), I was silently rooting for Anuzis to head the RNC. Hear me out.

Of all of the final possibilities, he more than anyone else learned the importance of the movement--we shut down his office for several days overloading their phone lines and emails. He later acknowledged as much that he underestimated the support Dr. Paul had.

Later in the Detroit debate on the economy, it is Dr. Paul more than any other who is vindicated now.

Finally, when the presidential campaign staff screwed up in Michigan (more the norm than the exception) it was Anuzis himself that put Dr. Paul on the ballot despite the campaign's incompetence (we had a similar situation here in DC where I intervened and I know of other states where locals saved the ballot access from the Arlington HQ keystone staffers).

kombayn
02-01-2009, 04:56 PM
I am not convinced. What are the city people gonna eat??? How are they gonna attack a spread out target?? (while their own urban centers are in utter and complete chaos with the animals that live there expecting their entitlements).

Trust me, the government will protect the big cities at all costs. It's the foundation of their spending. Without those cities they don't get their money and seriously you're going to throw in the ghetto in this mess? They'll be busy in their own areas fighting each other. They've been doing it for years, it's apart of the culture because of poverty. Still I find your last comment troubling and speaks volumes of your personal opinions which is sad.

fj45lvr
02-01-2009, 06:31 PM
. Still I find your last comment troubling and speaks volumes of your personal opinions which is sad.

Opinion?? Check out recent history. This is not "opinion" but the facts.

Anti Federalist
02-01-2009, 07:22 PM
or work with a party that is already electing liberty minded candidates. Liberty has no party.
It is all local politics work with the parties worth working with in your state or county. All politics is local,not every gop county party is worth saving some need to go away.

I will be putting my support behind liberty minded democrats who are more republican/libertarian then the gop or lp;) here in the Colorado Mtns!!!

Hear hear.

I floated this idea about a year ago and got wicked flamed for it.

I'd take, say a Mike Gravel, over a run of the mill neo-con any day of the week, if that was my only choice.

Until such time that the GOP acknowledges and welcomes us, then to hell with them, I'll search across the board and use my own "liberty filter" to determine who might be the best candidate for an office, regardless of party affiliation.

Athan
02-02-2009, 12:18 AM
not by a long shot. One of two things must happen.

1. We take over the republican party.

2. We stick around and make sure to stake it through the heart so there is room for new growth.

win

speciallyblend
02-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Trust me, the government will protect the big cities at all costs. It's the foundation of their spending. Without those cities they don't get their money and seriously you're going to throw in the ghetto in this mess? They'll be busy in their own areas fighting each other. They've been doing it for years, it's apart of the culture because of poverty. Still I find your last comment troubling and speaks volumes of your personal opinions which is sad.

once the mcdonalds and stores run out of food the city folks will eat each other. once they run out we just stick to the high ground and knock them out as they try to come get our food source. city folks will not last as long as the country folks. unless you have already purchased a yr supply of food with a shelf life of 15-30 yrs??

WOLVERINES ,city folks will not even be allowed to leave the city. it will be like the superdome in every city,chaos!!!

city folks will be waiting at the empty supermarket and waiting for burger king to open;)

speciallyblend
02-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Hear hear.

I floated this idea about a year ago and got wicked flamed for it.

I'd take, say a Mike Gravel, over a run of the mill neo-con any day of the week, if that was my only choice.

Until such time that the GOP acknowledges and welcomes us, then to hell with them, I'll search across the board and use my own "liberty filter" to determine who might be the best candidate for an office, regardless of party affiliation.

exactly;) we have great people who were just elected in our town/county as ron paul democrats. who needs the gop. when we have smarter democrats in the government!!

Our Democratic Party in Lake County is made up of dems,indys,lp and rpr!!!! time to move forward with this party in our county,then trying to work with someone that has no interest or political power ,since we sent them all packing;)

Cogop lost for a reason and they are still clueless. Our local spca should just retrieve the cogop and put them down!!!

angelatc
02-02-2009, 08:44 AM

They would starve to death shortly thereafter.

angelatc
02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Of the announced choices (I had been supporting Sunnunu), I was silently rooting for Anuzis to head the RNC. Hear me out.

Of all of the final possibilities, he more than anyone else learned the importance of the movement--we shut down his office for several days overloading their phone lines and emails. He later acknowledged as much that he underestimated the support Dr. Paul had.

Later in the Detroit debate on the economy, it is Dr. Paul more than any other who is vindicated now.

Finally, when the presidential campaign staff screwed up in Michigan (more the norm than the exception) it was Anuzis himself that put Dr. Paul on the ballot despite the campaign's incompetence (we had a similar situation here in DC where I intervened and I know of other states where locals saved the ballot access from the Arlington HQ keystone staffers).

That's well and good, but he is a tax-n-spend Republican.

LittleLightShining
02-02-2009, 09:25 AM
that was before the election, actually the word on the street is work locally with whatever party structure suits you best for the Libery movement:)

It is all local politics. Depending on your state and county political power structure.

Work with all people from all parties.

LIBERTY HAS NO PARTY!!!!!This is why the VT Campaign For Liberty is a non-partisan group. Find your party, get in and bring the Constitutions with you.

exactly;) we have great people who were just elected in our town/county as ron paul democrats. who needs the gop. when we have smarter democrats in the government!!

Our Democratic Party in Lake County is made up of dems,indys,lp and rpr!!!! time to move forward with this party in our county,then trying to work with someone that has no interest or political power ,since we sent them all packing;)

This is awesome. Imagine an election where you have a liberty candidates from different parties running against each other.

Peace&Freedom
02-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Steele is performing exactly as was evident during the primaries, he's backing the regular neocon GOP line, right down to the surrogates he is selecting. What more could have been expected? I have said before, the party has had several generations since FDR to reverse the growth of a single major government program, and they haven't. Not one legislative act to permanently stem the tide, or bring back liberty anywhere. Are we really going to wait 70 more years to see them fail further? Do we even have 7 years?

Let the RPRs try to transform the party, but in the meantime, let's broaden the quest and try to take back the whole establishment. Use the Paul example of running for a major party nomination as the incidental access point, and where it makes sense, let's run candidates for either a GOP or Democratic nominee in local races. Let's seed ourselves in the local party structures, and into the media by getting jobs in the local outlets, then work up the ranks. Let's reverse the usual CFR A guy running against the CFR B guy, covered by a CFR journalist dynamic, til we get to the point where it's a RP Republican versus a RP Democrat, most of the time.

Dave
02-02-2009, 11:47 AM

I'm sure some in the GOP would like our answer to this question to be "yes".

My answer: "Done? Heck, we're not done...we're just getting started!"

Seriously.