PDA

View Full Version : Genius IQ...

psalm82x3
01-31-2009, 07:51 PM
I saw a post commenting that Ron Paul is "probably genius or near genius IQ." This is ridiculous.

The average person on Ron Paul forums is genius or near genius IQ. Ron Paul has without a doubt surpassed any benchmark used for measuring genius. Mensa need not apply. The average IQ of a doctor when Ron Paul was matriculating into med-school was something like 125. Those specializing in obstetrics probably somewhat higher. But Ron Paul is not your average doctor. When you factor in his tendency to write books on subjects outside of his specialty, i.e. foreign policy and economics...the IQ guess becomes more like into the 150s at least.

Most people misunderstand IQ. They have an availability bias. That is...they look around themselves at grad school thinking that their peers are average. True average can only be found at a walmart.

heavenlyboy34
01-31-2009, 07:54 PM
I saw a post commenting that Ron Paul is "probably genius or near genius IQ." This is ridiculous.

The average person on Ron Paul forums is genius or near genius IQ. Ron Paul has without a doubt surpassed any benchmark used for measuring genius. Mensa need not apply. The average IQ of a doctor when Ron Paul was matriculating into med-school was something like 125. Those specializing in obstetrics probably somewhat higher. But Ron Paul is not your average doctor. When you factor in his tendency to write books on subjects outside of his specialty, i.e. foreign policy and economics...the IQ guess becomes more like into the 150s at least.

Most people misunderstand IQ. They have an availability bias. That is...they look around themselves at grad school thinking that their peers are average. True average can only be found at a walmart.

Which intelligence theory are you advocating? :confused:

Kalifornia
01-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Im not sure I understand what you are driving at.

psalm82x3
01-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Which intelligence theory are you advocating? :confused:

If you are questioning which intelligence theory I am advocating then I will presume your IQ to be genius are a minimum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

transistor
01-31-2009, 08:04 PM
agreed...

when people brag about being in mensa, i want to barf. it's not hard to get into at all

mczerone
01-31-2009, 08:08 PM
agreed...

when people brag about being in mensa, i want to barf. it's not hard to get into at all

And what cool or sufficiently networked individuals would pay to join Mensa? If there aren't cool or sufficiently networked people in your group, or it doesn't have a political objective, I don't really see paying dues to it.

RickyJ
01-31-2009, 08:13 PM

You got that right. Anyone that thinks 19 Arabs did 9/11 isn't that bright.

Original_Intent
01-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Well I have mid about 135 IQ, (I was the poster that made the mention of RP's IQ) but isn't it like 160+ to be considered "genius"? And I thought 160+ was something like 1 in a million or so - is it more common than that?

Also, I am sure that there are some people that are geniuses with very modest IQ scores.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
01-31-2009, 09:04 PM
nt

psalm82x3
01-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Well I have mid about 135 IQ, (I was the poster that made the mention of RP's IQ) but isn't it like 160+ to be considered "genius"? And I thought 160+ was something like 1 in a million or so - is it more common than that?

Also, I am sure that there are some people that are geniuses with very modest IQ scores.

Depends on who you ask. Most psychometricians agree that 128-140 IQ is the argued range for genius IQ. 115 is the argued threshold where a person can achieve ascendancy if they try really hard. Think Sean Hannity.

Genius with modest IQ scores are very rare, but then again, Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge, but then again, Einstein was a fricking genius so he too may have suffered from availability bias.

LibertyIn08
01-31-2009, 09:41 PM

Your understanding of standard deviations, as well as the testing criteria of such tests, appears to be quite low. A tendency to write books on subjects outside his specialty would not correlate, or possibly even suggest, in an increase in spatial thinking. Furthermore, if you truly believe everyone on this forum to be at genius level or near-it, consider this: At three standard deviations above the mean (an IQ of 130-145 depending on the test), less than .14% of the population would reach such levels. Not to mention the inherent problems within testing above the three and four standard deviation levels, which require more advanced tests.

I admire Dr. Paul very much. Let his work inspire you, not some fabricated IQ result based on false premises.

Call Me V
02-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Im 18, a highschool dropout, got my GED

Ive took two IQ test, scored 138 on the first and 140 on the other.

psalm82x3
02-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Your understanding of standard deviations, as well as the testing criteria of such tests, appears to be quite low. A tendency to write books on subjects outside his specialty would not correlate, or possibly even suggest, in an increase in spatial thinking.

Let his work inspire you, not some fabricated IQ result based on false premises.

You are right on your first point. Rather than imply a high visio-spatial IQ (the math side of the SAT), it implies a high logical reasoning IQ (the language side of the SAT).

You might benefit from re-reading "The Bell Curve."

Your second point, that Dr. Paul may be 2 in 100 rather than 1 in 100,000 is also correct. But that is precisely where mensa draws the line. Actually, I looked at the way they test, and my hunch is they end up accepting more like 3 or 4 per 100.

Your last point is bunk though. No one is either fabricating or being inspired by Dr. Paul's IQ. The only reason that I infer, not fabricate, his IQ is to set the record straight, and to try to combat some of the availability bias built in to these online geek forums, of which I am proud to be a member.

Like it or not, we are a bunch of poly-sci-egg-heads.

psalm82x3
02-01-2009, 07:47 AM

High school dropout rates have been a head scratcher for people studying gifted students for a long time. You my friend are in what stataticians call the Fat Tail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_tail

http://www.nagc.org/uploadedFiles/PDF/Advocacy_PDFs/dropout%20(GCQ%2044(4)).pdf

Truth Warrior
02-01-2009, 07:52 AM
agreed...

when people brag about being in mensa, i want to barf. it's not hard to get into at all Yep, that's exactly why statistically ONLY 2% of the population can even manage to qualify for membership. :rolleyes: DUH!

http://www.mensa.org/index0.php?page=10 (http://www.mensa.org/index0.php?page=10)

Isaac Bickerstaff
02-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Mensa is a collection of people who are proud to be able to meet certain minimum standards. (Like a college graduate proud of his "C" average)

Call Me V
02-01-2009, 11:12 AM
High school dropout rates have been a head scratcher for people studying gifted students for a long time. You my friend are in what stataticians call the Fat Tail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_tail

http://www.nagc.org/uploadedFiles/PDF/Advocacy_PDFs/dropout%20(GCQ%2044(4)).pdf

Interesting.

Honestly the reason I dropped out was because I found it extremely boring and easy, so I didn't even try half the time. I find "public" High School a waste of time, money and effort. Of course it will bite me in the rear end when I try and get jobs and things but I have a different philosophy about what life is about.

UtahApocalypse
02-01-2009, 11:23 AM

Interesting.

Honestly the reason I dropped out was because I found it extremely boring and easy, so I didn't even try half the time. I find "public" High School a waste of time, money and effort. Of course it will bite me in the rear end when I try and get jobs and things but I have a different philosophy about what life is about.

I did the same thing. Im a drop out, who is now in college getting a bachelors, I have a GED. I have scored high on IQ tests.

High School is just a joke.

Ex Post Facto
02-01-2009, 11:29 AM
The few IQ tests I have taken put me just under 130 IQ overall...but I was off the charts in analytical sections. Apparently, I can do a chart a maze in record speed and assemble blocks into patterns in record time. I have a feeling most of the Ron Paul crowd is very skilled in analytical abilities--the ability to take lots of information, sort through relevance, and find key factors that result in a accurate conclusion in record time.

Of course, this may be why Ron Paul ideas aren't understood by most people. It's our ability to discern facts and think way beyond the here and now, drawing inference from current trends to establish a prediction of the outcome in the future.

driller80545
02-01-2009, 11:30 AM
In RP's case, maybe they mistake integrity for genuis?

Hamer
02-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Actually several people here are a genius in their own mind.

The IQ ( intelligence quotient ) is a test to test the the entire gamut of all different manners; although some people are experts in certian fields does not make them a genius.

The OP is on a mission to illicit a prescribed response as to create dilapidation and attempt to disunite the jingoist of this revolution with bewilderment in an ill advised endeavor.

Why is my question!

Point being does my comment make me a genius? NO but it shows I have a strong grasp of a certian area of the English language but in no way makes me a genius.

Dr. Paul is not a genius but he is an expert in serveral fields which include Foreigh policy and monetary policy. He has been in politics for over 30 years and if he didn't have a strong grasp of these areas I would bee deeply concerned as I am on a daily basis about many of the other acting members of our Government.

Bman
02-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I score mid 140's to 150's on IQ tests. That alone should be evidence that an IQ test doesn't mean all that much.

Ex Post Facto
02-01-2009, 11:52 AM
I score mid 140's to 150's on IQ tests. That alone should be evidence that an IQ test doesn't mean all that much.

lol It's always funny when someone uses them self as an example like this :)

Paulitical Correctness
02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
This sort of elitism most certainly puts off potential friends and paints the "Ron Paul movement" as a bunch of arrogant jerks stroking each other's egos.

Though, it is interesting to note the types of individuals the movement attracts. Maybe not an accurate representation on the RPF alone, but I remember the overwhelming number of INTJ's here from an old poll.

That being said, ignorance of political ideologies doesn't necessarily equate to low IQ's. There is a terrifying number of "smart" people out there that worship Obama, for example. The potential for these people to learn civil liberties and austrian economics and whatnot is definitely there.

sratiug
02-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Me too...

Genius is being able to see the simple solutions. For instance that a flat tariff is the only tax that does not subsidize imports. All internal taxes subsidize imports. So to have the free-est possible trade given the current level of taxation, all money should be raised by a flat tariff. The "free trade" argument against tariffs is a damnable lie. Geniuses like me and Jefferson know these things because the logic is irrefutable. Simplicity is powerful.

Many people are simply afraid of the vast power of simplicity.

Truth Warrior
02-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Me too...

Genius is being able to see the simple solutions. For instance that a flat tariff is the only tax that does not subsidize imports. All internal taxes subsidize imports. So to have the free-est possible trade given the current level of taxation, all money should be raised by a flat tariff. The "free trade" argument against tariffs is a damnable lie. Geniuses like me and Jefferson know these things because the logic is irrefutable. Simplicity is powerful.

Many people are simply afraid of the vast power of simplicity.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein

Bruno
02-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Mensa is a collection of people who are proud to be able to meet certain minimum standards. (Like a college graduate proud of his "A+" average)

fixed

agreed...

It's only hard for 98% of people to get into. The other 2% don't have a problem qualifying.

amonasro
02-01-2009, 03:52 PM
What percentage of geniuses actually want to be in mensa?

Bruno
02-01-2009, 03:54 PM
what percentage of geniuses actually want to be in mensa?

3.14159265 %

Truth Warrior
02-01-2009, 03:56 PM
What percentage of geniuses actually want to be in mensa?

http://www.mensa.org/index0.php?page=10 (http://www.mensa.org/index0.php?page=10)

Bruno
02-01-2009, 03:59 PM
One thing that is a misconception about Mensa members is that they are in the group so they can brag about having a high IQ.
Actually, many are there because they find it hard to interact with others due to always being misunderstood, having other interests than the general public, being picked on in school due to their intelligence, etc.

kombayn
02-01-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm 118. Average IQ is like 98, I believe. If you're over 110, you're considered to go achieve more with that higher IQ but it always takes effort.

LibertyIn08
02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Average IQ should be 100, as it is the mean.

Psalm, the z-score for 3 standard deviations is 3. This means that the two tails of the bell-curve only comprise approximately .3% of the population. Hence why the range I gave you is far rarer than you made it out to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/68-95-99.7_rule <--- Here's a handy rule for understanding z-scores and bell-curves.

And, without any evidence of test by Dr. Paul himself, I would deem it a fabrication, rather than an inference. You simply have no data from which to pull such an inference from.

heavenlyboy34
02-02-2009, 12:28 PM
If you are questioning which intelligence theory I am advocating then I will presume your IQ to be genius are a minimum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

First, this makes no grammatical sense. Second, there are several theories of intelligence that have developed over the centuries-the accuracy of ALL of them are still highly questioned by psychologists and researchers.

Truth Warrior
02-02-2009, 12:32 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/genius (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/genius)

psalm82x3
02-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't care how stupid you all insist you are. I am telling you, you guys are genii. Go to a Walmart for mediocre minds. You guys have more availability bias than a coagulated bunch of cholera.

And to all you who think deviations are cool...only the first or possibly second standard deviation matter anyways, after that you are Rainman and can't tie your shoes. Furthermore, my grammatical errors aside, I am a lexi-fucking-cographer, so stepoff!

psalm82x3
02-02-2009, 05:07 PM
For those of you who don't know, the going definition for lexicographer is:

lexicographer a harmless drudge

http://www.bl.uk/learning/images/texts/dict/new7.jpg

Truth Warrior
02-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't care how stupid you all insist you are. I am telling you, you guys are genii. Go to a Walmart for mediocre minds. You guys have more availability bias than a coagulated bunch of cholera.

And to all you who think deviations are cool...only the first or possibly second standard deviation matter anyways, after that you are Rainman and can't tie your shoes. Furthermore, my grammatical errors aside, I am a lexi-fucking-cographer, so stepoff! The IQ standard deviations from the mean, cut both ways. ;)

Both HIGH and LOW. :)

psalm82x3
02-02-2009, 05:11 PM
The IQ standard deviations from the mean, cut both ways. ;)

Both HIGH and LOW. :)

Finally, a response worth reading. LMAO!

Truth Warrior
02-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Finally, a response worth reading. LMAO! I had some others in the thread too. :D

heavenlyboy34
02-02-2009, 05:16 PM

And to all you who think deviations are cool...only the first or possibly second standard deviation matter anyways, after that you are Rainman and can't tie your shoes. Furthermore, my grammatical errors aside, I am a lexi-fucking-cographer, so stepoff!

Thanks! :) you're a real sweetie pie. Here's a new pet bunchies for ya. http://www.wildpixels.com/bunchies/Images/bunchies_clear1.gif

blocks
02-02-2009, 06:04 PM

heh!