PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating the Fred Thompson Factor

KingTheoden
05-31-2007, 07:40 AM
At this point in time, it is clear that Fred Thompson will run for president. He has been raising money at 'meet and greets' and has received enormous media backing both from psuedo conservative groups like World Net Daily, the Wall Street Journal, and other establishment types. His request to exit his television contract is the confirmation in my book.

As Ron Paul supporters, we need to immediately strategize as to how we will respond to this development. To me, it seems clear that the establishment is backing Thompson in an effort to stave off the legitimate grassroots revolution for Ron Paul. Let us not give them that chance.

Many conservative voters who will vote in the primary and could be seduced by the spell of Thompson are very concerned about the North American Union, expanded 'free' traded agreements, and immigration situation. Thompson stikes out on all three critical issues. If we can go on the offensive using Thompson's own words against him, we can significantly limit the inroads he makes on the Ron Paul campaign. Many people who might be pro-war (something Thompson is) are equally concerned with the CFR and these aforementioned issues thus leaving the TV star vulnerable.

Thompson has a history of not being a conservative. He was a booster of the McCain Feingold bill which limited free speech (ironically he is flagrantly violating its spirit by appearing on television daily and radio shows as a guest host) and if I recall correctly, opposed tax cuts.

We know that he is a prop of the PTB in order to prevent Ron Paul from capturing the nomination- but their plan need not come to be.

Much of Ron Paul's support is going to have to come from Democrats and Independents. There is an entire pool of people who never vote who can be turned on to Ron Paul's campaign. Obtaining voter registration forms and actually registering people is a menial but vital task. Remember, the official polls do not include Ron Paul's name as an option and only call 'likely Republican' primary voters. Usually that sample can be accurate enough but given Dr. Pauls wide appeal, such a metric is incomplete.

It can turn out that the entry of Thompson hurts the 'top three' more than it does Ron Paul. At this point, I see McCain as a non-contender due to his support of the immigration bill, among other problems he presents. Romney is going to hit a ceiling because many conservative evangelicals will NEVER vote for a Mormon. Period. Especially a smug, rich, blue state Mormon. Giuliani has the problem that if people look at his record, he turns into a pumpkin. People are starting to find out that he attempted to DESTROY all American gun makers in a law suit and has been very pro-big government. His support will wane. So many of the total sheep will flock to the 'country boy' Thompson. But the sake up in the race could provide some unintended consequences such as people looking at the second tier for interesting candidates. Ron Paul stands out like none other and can absorb many of these confused voters.

lucky
05-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Bring the traitor on. He may know how to be an actor so lets see if he can go up against ideas.

kelldor
05-31-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm not too worried. He's just another CFR crony, so he'll only take support away from Rudy McRomney, not Ron Paul. I think this development helps Ron in that regard.

X_805
05-31-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm not too worried. He's just another CFR crony, so he'll only take support away from Rudy McRomney, not Ron Paul. I think this development helps Ron in that regard.

Most people have no idea who the CFR is, and Thompson "appears" to be conservative so many of the uninformed may go towards him.

mdh
05-31-2007, 08:13 AM
I agree with kelldor on this one, his will be another big-style campaign and may actually help us by further dividing our opponents. The only potential negative is the fact that some avid law and order fans who wouldn't otherwise vote may go to the polls, but I see this as a minor factor at best.

He *is* a good actor, though... :)

specsaregood
05-31-2007, 09:09 AM
I don't see Fred as a direct threat to Ron Paul He is not going steal any of RP's support, only the other GOP candidates.

The only real threat I see is if a/some of the other candidates throw their support his way. That's what I would look for, but not too soon -- I dont think any of them are ready to get out of the limelight yet.

Elwar
05-31-2007, 11:22 AM
As I outlined here (http://libertyupdate.blogspot.com/2007/05/fred-thompson-helping-ron-paul-get.html) Fred Thompson is helping Ron Paul get elected.

JaylieWoW
05-31-2007, 11:45 AM
As I outlined here (http://libertyupdate.blogspot.com/2007/05/fred-thompson-helping-ron-paul-get.html) Fred Thompson is helping Ron Paul get elected.

Sometimes it was:

Intimidating to see so much MSM coverage of the "shadow candidate";
Frustrating to see Ron Paul removed from Polls but an undeclared candidate was not; and
Confusing to see support for a candidate that was undeclared.

However, rather than allowing these things to affect me thinking through on the bigger picture, I did think it out considerably and came to a similar conclusion myself. Having so many "front-runners" is only going to marginalize each of them to such an extent that Ron Paul really DOES have a chance at the primaries.

winston_blade
05-31-2007, 11:54 AM
What is everyone's take on Newt? I personally hopes he gets in the race to take votes away from the "Big 4".

ARealConservative
05-31-2007, 12:08 PM
What is everyone's take on Newt? I personally hopes he gets in the race to take votes away from the "Big 4".

Newt is more conservative then the others - so if he came out against the current war - he would possibly take votes away from Paul.

winston_blade
05-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Newt is more conservative then the others - so if he came out against the current war - he would possibly take votes away from Paul.

He's for the war though.

vertesc
05-31-2007, 12:37 PM
I agree - Fred would only take votes from the big candidates. The more divided the neocon voter base is, the more chance Ron's voters have. As has been stated before, Ron's support comes from everyone who left the Republican party in disgust at this Administration. If those people rejoin the party, Ron has a great chance against a Thompson-divided field.

giskard
05-31-2007, 07:24 PM
The problem is that Thompson may take votes away from RP IN THE PRIMARIES.

I know of 3 people who like Thompson and are so-so on Ron Paul, because they don't like the idea of non-interventionism (rolling eyes!).

I think most people don't like the flood of illegal immigrants, and that if the FT supporters understand the illegal immigration - CFR - Fred Thompson connection, they may change their minds.

giskard
05-31-2007, 07:27 PM
How about a nice big well-done website showing how most of the candidates are CGR/NWO or Corporate Collectivists?

Something as well done as this:
http://mwhodges.home.att.net/summary.htm

Maybe a website starting with that one, and pointing out how none of the other candidates even begin to discuss the issues there?

KingTheoden
05-31-2007, 07:36 PM
The problem is that Thompson may take votes away from RP IN THE PRIMARIES.

I know of 3 people who like Thompson and are so-so on Ron Paul, because they don't like the idea of non-interventionism (rolling eyes!).

I think most people don't like the flood of illegal immigrants, and that if the FT supporters understand the illegal immigration - CFR - Fred Thompson connection, they may change their minds.

Exactly my point. Thompson has even stated recently that the current number of illegals in the US are not really important. When he stated this at a meet and greet dinner, the audience went silent. If we educate people that this man does not have a conservative record, is an elitist (CFR member), and is in favor of the trans-NAFTA corridor highways (systems that will hurt not just us, but Mexican and Canadian people too), we can severely limit the inroads he makes into Ron Paul's camp.

In the meantime, we need to continue recruiting new voters as well as Democrats and Independents. Some states require that you be registered as the for party for which you intend to vote in the primary- get these people registered. Make clear to them that you do not care what they do after the primary in terms of party registration; this is about Ron Paul, not the Republican Party.

angelatc
05-31-2007, 09:25 PM
I think the media is going to embrace him. I saw Laura Ingraham on Fox tonight meentioning hoe Fred Thompson hasn't waivered n immigration at all.....uh - hell0?

giskard
05-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Damn, this reminds me of 1984, where the news contradicts what was said just the day before, as if it was never said.

Shmuel Spade
05-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Damn, this reminds me of 1984, where the news contradicts what was said just the day before, as if it was never said.

Down the memory hole?

james1906
05-31-2007, 11:16 PM
f. thompson is just going to take votes away from giuliani. the big block of 'we vote for who we see on the tv'. like giuliani, nobody really knows what he stands for.

tnvoter
06-01-2007, 06:45 AM
I agree - Fred would only take votes from the big candidates. The more divided the neocon voter base is, the more chance Ron's voters have. As has been stated before, Ron's support comes from everyone who left the Republican party in disgust at this Administration. If those people rejoin the party, Ron has a great chance against a Thompson-divided field.

That's a good point, especially if the media's choice of 4 stay all the way to the primaries, which as big as their egos are-i'm sure they will.

RonPaul4President
06-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Just point them to his youtube videos. He comes across as a pompous ass. :D

Case and point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JRAlkwE3mM

burnice
06-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Exactly my point. Thompson has even stated recently that the current number of illegals in the US are not really important. When he stated this at a meet and greet dinner, the audience went silent. If we educate people that this man does not have a conservative record, is an elitist (CFR member), and is in favor of the trans-NAFTA corridor highways (systems that will hurt not just us, but Mexican and Canadian people too), we can severely limit the inroads he makes into Ron Paul's camp.

Anyone know if video of this can be found online?

King Theoden resurfaces for the election! Good to see you again. :)