PDA

View Full Version : List of the 761 U.S. Military Bases on Foreign Soil?

mello
01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
A friend of mine mentioned that the U.S. has over 80 bases in Italy alone. Does anyone
know where to find a list of all of all 761? I think it would be a good talking point when
talking about U.S. foreign policy. For example:

"As an American, would you feel less safe if we had 40-50 bases in Italy instead of 80+?"

RSLudlum
01-30-2009, 06:07 PM
sounds like you're looking for the Base Stucture Report

http://www.defenselink.mil/pubs/BSR_2007_Baseline.pdf

idiom
01-30-2009, 08:36 PM
According to that there are now 823.

They're like rabbits.

mello
02-01-2009, 03:30 AM
sounds like you're looking for the Base Stucture Report

http://www.defenselink.mil/pubs/BSR_2007_Baseline.pdf

According to that PDF, as of Sept. 30, 2006:

The Total acreage that the Department of Defense is using overseas is 707,570 acres.
The amount of land used for military bases overseas is 175,817 acres.

The worldwide total the DOD is using is 32,408,262 acres.
The worldwide total just for military bases is 712,199.5 acres.

As a point of reference:
New York City is 309 square miles (i.e. 197,760 acres).
Ohio is 41,328 square miles (i.e. 26,449,920 acres).

tangent4ronpaul
02-01-2009, 04:40 AM
I'm not that crazy about the list... It's REALLY INTERESTING! - *BUT!*....

"bases" that are under - what is it - 20 acres or 10 Million dollar cost a year are not included in terms other than a count of how many there are. I really have to wonder what these "smaller" bases are! I'm assuming all the recruiting stations fall into this not worth reporting category, at least in the USA. Still, there are many overseas...

On this latter point, I know of one decommissioned Titan II base that the Air Guard acquired. It has heavy, wide driveways decaying on it's top side. Student pilots practice landing there. There is not another living sole, save for a ton of cows and ground hogs, for 5-10 miles. Sounds like this would qualify as a US "base". Or would it? It is a divers paradise though. They build this one on top of a natural spring and the company hired to strip the facility turned off the sump pumps... OOPS! Yeah - it's a whole facility, unstripped and underwater... No - they pulled the missiles.

NG and Reserve units are included in the count. At least in the former case, these are NOT supposed to be Federal! I could be wrong about the NG part - but don't want to review that huge doc again right now.

If we look at Germany, in particular - we find a "distributed campus" - you know, get land/space where you can... so in addition to other things, we have a firing range, 2 hotels and 2 training grounds (open ground - perhaps without a single structure) all *INDIVIDUALLY* classified as "bases".

Also, some storage facilities so classified, inflates the number in popular perception. Perhaps the best significant heading in the document was large bases. These are what we generally think of in terms to overseas (or domestic) bases.

-t