PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul and The UFC share same fanbase.

Eric21ND
09-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Ron Paul is tremendously popular with the young male demographic, the Time article reported visitors to Ron Paul's official website are likely to be male (74%) and between 25 and 34 years old (25%). Many people advised we should promote Ron Paul and distribute fliers at college football games and other sporting events which a great idea given the huge potential audience.

Now where does the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) come into play in all this? Well it is the fastest growing sport in the U.S. and maybe around the world. The sport has a young college-educated fanbase much like Ron Paul does with his supporters. This sport dominates its rating share in this demographic. I think we should promote Ron Paul at these event or at the very least blanket the parking lot with fliers. I think we could draw in a huge segment of people that are ripe for the Ron Paul message.

I also frequent a forum dedicated to the sport of Ultimate Fighting and Ron Paul threads spontaneously pop up on there and get 100's of responses! It's weird how two completely different realms can intersect sometimes. :cool:

james1844
09-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Good idea.

K1RBY
09-13-2007, 07:41 AM
this is true.
me and about 15+ friends never miss a UFC pay-per-view ..and we all love RON PAUL.
good thinkin'.

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Yep I've been watching UFC since the early days of Shamrock & Tank.. Also started watching Pride Fighting (from Japan) a couple years ago.. But I'd rather wait an extra day an pull the fights down from a torrent than drop $50.. but split 15 ways isn't so bad.. :)

belian78
09-13-2007, 07:59 AM
great idea!

anyone else feel sorry for Forrest Griffin? I like the guy, but he's gonna get killed going against Shogun. :eek:

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 08:04 AM
great idea!

anyone else feel sorry for Forrest Griffin? I like the guy, but he's gonna get killed going against Shogun. :eek:

Yeah well I thought the same thing when Mirkco Cro-Cop fought Gonzaga, but one high kick to the head knocked him flat out.. Thats what makes the sport so exciting, you can't predict stuff like that.. Who thought a stocky wrestler could land a head kick on a tall kickboxer?

purepaloma
09-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Maybe we could somehow get on the TapouT show on Versus Channel ? Or at least a sign or two on the show ?

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Oh, the next fight is 9/22 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA... We should get this out to their meetup.

belian78
09-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Yeah well I thought the same thing when Mirkco Cro-Cop fought Gonzaga, but one high kick to the head knocked him flat out.. Thats what makes the sport so exciting, you can't predict stuff like that.. Who thought a stocky wrestler could land a head kick on a tall kickboxer?

yeah that's true, very true. at any rate it's gonna be a hell of a fight. i'm not looking forward to the Liddel/Jardine fight too much though. So what'd ya think of the screw job they gave Hamill the other night?

theblatanttruth
09-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Me and ALL of my friends (scores of them) all watch UFC religiously... and with the tightening of a noose around the UFC's neck for it's violence and risk and people worried if the sport will last will welcome someone like Ron Paul with open arms since his views directly support the UFC's further existence. What would hillary or obama have to say about the UFC other than it's "destroying America's youth" or something completely retarded like that.

100% for alotting and paying for an ad on the UFC programming :)

belian78
09-13-2007, 08:11 AM
unfortunately ad time with the UFC would be very pricey i would think.

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 08:14 AM

Yeah I just checked how much a single ticket is.. Do you have any idea? ridiculous..

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 08:15 AM
yeah that's true, very true. at any rate it's gonna be a hell of a fight. i'm not looking forward to the Liddel/Jardine fight too much though. So what'd ya think of the screw job they gave Hamill the other night?

Hamill? Not sure, is that the ultimate fighter show? I've honestly never watched that, just the UFC events.. I really don't care about all the drama.. I just want to see the fists fly.. :D

nexalacer
09-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Ad time would likely be expensive, but we might be able to talk them down on price for the sake of supporting the only president who would guarantee their further existence.

"How much for a presidential ad during your programming?"

"$XXX,XXX."

"How much for a presidential ad that could guarantee your existence for as long as he's president?"

"$1,000!!!"

Dreaming is fun.

belian78
09-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Hamill? Not sure, is that the ultimate fighter show? I've honestly never watched that, just the UFC events.. I really don't care about all the drama.. I just want to see the fists fly.. :D

well it was the fight between Bisping and Hamill. they should have fought at the finale for TUF3, but Hamill was hurt. If they had, Bisping would have won easily, but Hamill looked 10x's better than before. He really looks like a good prospect for the LHW division now. He completely dominated the first 2 rounds. they gave the decision to Bisping though. in england of course, where Bisping is from. :mad:

Brian
09-13-2007, 08:18 AM
How much does it cost to sponsor a fighter? You know, we could get a fighter to wear "Vote for Ron Paul" trunks.

That would get soooo much attention ! People would be totally shocked. Hopefully our fighter doesn't lose.

Does anyone know how much much it costs to do something like that?

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 08:21 AM
How much does it cost to sponsor a fighter? You know, we could get a fighter to wear "Vote for Ron Paul" trunks.

That would get soooo much attention ! People would be totally shocked. Hopefully our fighter doesn't lose.

Oh damn now that is a very cool idea...

belian78
09-13-2007, 08:22 AM
that is a good idea. i'm sure that there's at least a few fighters that could get behind Dr Paul's stances.

Eric21ND
09-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Instead of buying ads why not buy Ron Paul a ticket to the show? That would be sweet victory if they interviewed him live like they do with other celebs.

Shogun will put a beating on Forrest, but I expect Forrest to go out with a bang like like he usually does.

Null if you ever watch the Ultimate Fighter show definitely buy season 1. Best season so far IMO.

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 08:30 AM
lol have any of you ever seen a Butterbean fight?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OqRFIscsanw (fight begins at 5:30)

Eric21ND
09-13-2007, 08:35 AM

hahaha...you win the prize for the most unique way to promote Ron Paul!! Just plaster Ron Paul for Prez on his trunks and you're good to go! I think it would depend on the fighter, like a high profile guy, but most fighters would gladly take an endorsement deal like that. Some fighters might actually support Ron already and we don't know it. Can you imagine Randy Couture coming on board for the campaign, wow! :eek:

purepaloma
09-13-2007, 08:45 AM
We could start even a little more Grassroots with the WEC just to get a flavor for it.

Many of the WEC fights are on TV......and I know that the TapouT has a big focus with the WEC.

We could pick up a guy like Cowboy Cerrone, who is new but with huge upside...and has already been sponsered by TapouT (They have connections into the heart of the UFC with guys like Chuck Lidell, etc)

http://thefightgame.tv/ring_of_fire_versus_pr_august_1_2007.htm

belian78
09-13-2007, 08:48 AM
okay, so anyone know who we'd want to contact about getting info on how much the least expensive sponsorship for a fighter would be? Just think about it... If we could get one of the main fighters in one of the next UFC PPV's to wear a Ron Paul shirt!!

purepaloma
09-13-2007, 08:49 AM
We can just approach individual fighters......no need to go through anyone.

Many of the bigger guys have agents, but the newer guys don't.

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 08:52 AM
We can just approach individual fighters......no need to go through anyone.

Many of the bigger guys have agents, but the newer guys don't.

Yep, I'd agree.. Just make sure they're not part of Tito Ortiz's group.. I can't stand him.. :P

Eric21ND
09-13-2007, 08:55 AM
okay, so anyone know who we'd want to contact about getting info on how much the least expensive sponsorship for a fighter would be? Just think about it... If we could get one of the main fighters in one of the next UFC PPV's to wear a Ron Paul shirt!!

You know that would be seen by millions of people, this is a great idea and totally plausible.

NPursuit357
09-13-2007, 08:58 AM
well it was the fight between Bisping and Hamill. they should have fought at the finale for TUF3, but Hamill was hurt. If they had, Bisping would have won easily, but Hamill looked 10x's better than before. He really looks like a good prospect for the LHW division now. He completely dominated the first 2 rounds. they gave the decision to Bisping though. in england of course, where Bisping is from. :mad:

I thought Hamill looked a lot better as well. IMO he was robbed.

BTW great idea on advertising on the UFC! Maybe they could help sponsor a fighter or two?

purepaloma
09-13-2007, 08:59 AM
We will need someone with an "IN" to either a fighter, coach, promoter, etc.......

Maybe some of the WWE guys know someone - Val Venus or Kane ???

ChooseLiberty
09-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Strangely, AFAIK Alex Jones and Joe Rogan are friends. If someone is hooked up with the Jones people that might be a way in.

I can see Joe Rogan liking Dr. Paul's political platform.

tsopranos
09-13-2007, 09:02 AM
We will need someone with an "IN" to either a fighter, coach, promoter, etc.......

Maybe some of the WWE guys know someone - Val Venus or Kane ???

Doug Stanhope ---> Joe Rogan ---> Dana White

Not too many hops at all.

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Wow I just read a post somewhere saying that in the early days of the UFC, McCain tried to get it banned..

EDIT: Holy crap, here's an article that mentions it! http://www.sfweekly.com/2005-06-15/news/knockout-tapout/2

None was more prominent than U.S. Sen. John McCain, who spearheaded a campaign to ban MMA across the country. McCain wrote a letter to the governor of each state decrying MMA as "human cockfighting," a pithy label that has stuck with the sport since.

....it gets better!!....

They also accused McCain of pandering to corporate interests. Budweiser is one of the biggest sponsors of boxing in the world, and McCain's family owns millions of dollars in Anheuser-Busch stock. McCain's father-in-law runs a major Anheuser-Busch distributorship in Arizona, and his company contributed generously to the senator's early campaigns. As the argument went, the UFC threatened beer-sponsored boxing, and McCain took on the role of knee-breaker in trying to snuff out the emerging sport.

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Here's an interesting thread on political views of some fighters.. one post claims Frank Trigg is conservative but hates Bush..

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=635816

belian78
09-13-2007, 09:15 AM
okay, so can we compile a list of fighters' email addresses and maybe even myspace profiles? dont flood them persay, but each of us could focus on one or two fighters.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
09-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Fighting is not my thing, but I do see ads constantly run for Chuck Norris' International Fight League matches on various Fox Sports channels (I have DirecTV). Would it be possible to run Ron Paul ads on those cable channels during the IFL shows?

shadowhooch
09-13-2007, 09:42 AM
great idea!

Did you know Forrest REQUESTED to fight Shogun? He wanted this fight and approached Dana to get it. He says he sees a weakness and this will be a great shortcut to the top.

We'll see.:)

As far as getting a sponser, try to get a fighter that is going to be televised on the upcoming PPVs. Wikipedia is usually good for knowing who's getting televised.

I always wear my Ron Paul shirt and bring some flyers to Bufallo Wild Wings (where I watch all the fights for free).

belian78
09-13-2007, 09:43 AM
hell, i'd think that forrest would probably be a RP guy. i was thinkin Monson, but he's more of an all out anarchist isnt he?

Edit. and no, i didnt know that forrest requested that fight. holy crap that guy has b***z. i'm looking forward to it.

ghemminger
09-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Forest would be GREAT - Win or LOSE this guy wins over the crowd with his heart!

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 09:48 AM
hell, i'd think that forrest would probably be a RP guy. i was thinkin Monson, but he's more of an all out anarchist isnt he?

Yeah I could swear i've seen an anarchist "A" tattoo on his body..

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Did anyone catch my post above, about how McCain tried to get the UFC banned, because UFC was a competitor to boxing & he had corporate interests in Budweiser/Anheuser, a major sponsor of boxing? Amazing what you can rediscover if you look just beneath the surface..

belian78
09-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Did anyone catch my post above, about how McCain tried to get the UFC banned, because UFC was a competitor to boxing & he had corporate interests in Budweiser/Anheuser, a major sponsor of boxing? Amazing what you can rediscover if you look just beneath the surface..

yeah i remember that. calling MMA "human cockfighting" or something like that. I had no idea that he was tied in with boxing though. definately shines some light on where he was coming from.

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Mickey's is huge sponsor of UFC.. Could we tie them in somehow?

It's a slippery-slope tho, because Rockstar is also a big sponsor, and the CEO of Rockstar is Michael Savage's son.. & i'm beginning to think Savage is a neocon in disguise.. I know his son has run for some public offices.. Not sure on his political affiliations..

Eric21ND
09-13-2007, 10:09 AM
All the UFC fans never forgot what McCain tried to do to the sport. He sent out memos instructing each state to ban the sport wholesale. He was also a supreme hypocrite considering he was ringside during a boxing match where a young boxer lost his life, but he called UFC "human cockfighting".

You don't really need an "in" to sponser a fighter. It's just a simple call to their gym and a 5 min talk with their management if that.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/Eric21ND/ronpaulfightershorts.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/Eric21ND/ronpaulfightershorts2.jpg

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 10:12 AM
You don't really need an "in" to sponser a fighter. It's just a simple call to their gym and a 5 min talk with their management if that

haha nice graphics ;) would you give it a try? Here's the fight card for 9/22.. http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.FightCard&eid=822

EDIT: here's Forrest Griffin's contact info: http://www.forrestgriffin.net/contact.html

belian78
09-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Hey Forrest,

First let me say that I'm a huge fan of yours, I know, something you hear all the time. However you deserve it because of the contributions to the UFC and MMA as a whole.

I was wanting to ask you if you've ever heard of Dr Ron Paul? He is a candidate running for President in the 08 election. Many people across America are flocking to the Dr due to his "small government" "personal freedoms and liberty" message. He is the only true "anti-Iraq war" candidate running on either side of the fence, Rep or Dem. That's not to say he doesnt support our military, quite the contrary in fact. In the 2nd Quarter donations, Dr Paul recieved more donations from military members than any other candidate. Also, he has been given awards by numerous veterans groups for his hard work in getting veterans the medals and medical resources they deserve. I ask you this, cause you've always seemed like a down to earth person that would really be able to understand the common sense stance Dr Paul has on the issues. If you havent already decided on a candidate I would like to strongly encourage you to check out Dr Paul's website, www.ronpaul2008.com or check out the over 20,000 youtube and google videos on his speeches and rallies.

If after you've looked into Dr Paul, you like what you see, those of us in his grassroots support network would like to talk to you about possibly giving you a small sponsorship on behalf of the "Ron Paul Revolution". This is some of us are calling the grassroots movement.

I realize that politics really isnt something that you've got yourself tuned into with all your training and everything, but I think that once you've heard Dr Paul speak, you'd be a supporter too.

In conclusion, again Forrest, thanks for everything that you've done for the UFC and all the things that you havent yet done. Good luck with you fight against Shogun!

bcmiller
09-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I am into UFC as well... I think you are right.

I post my blog link when I comment on items at www.ufcmania.com

Santana28
09-13-2007, 10:43 AM
hey guys... just thought i'd mention... my husband runs a MMA promotional company (kind of like Tapout, but MUCH cooler... biggest in the Midwest). We sponsor fighters and there are monthly events in Chicago that draw at least 2,000 people each time. We had several fighters on "The Ultimate Fighter" TV show on Spike, and are aligned with the MFC... which is up and coming competition to the UFC... and just got bought out by Bodog.net. We were the MFC's exclusive design team until Bodog bought it out... we're still working on a new deal, but if you keep an eye out you'll see our stuff on TV. If you see those commercials for Bodog Fight Night, you're talking about mostly our sponsored fighters. Our business partner knows just about every fighter in the business, and has his own internet radio show weekly where various fighters call in.

Anyways... if anyone is in the Chicago area and wants to do some kind of promoting at a fight... let me know and i might be able to get you ringside seats ;) Of course, i'm kinda hardpressed to find a connection between MMA bouts and Ron Paul... thats one room full of people you DONT want to annoy! But maybe someone wearing a Ron Paul Tee ringside would get some attention... or better yet... a ring girl! We pay them to wear whatever we want! Strippers for Ron Paul, live. LOL

Santana28
09-13-2007, 10:49 AM
And for you illinois MMA fans... dont forget that shortly after Blagovovich came into office he, too, banned MMA (but not boxing) from the state for being dangerous and barbaric. I, personally, have been at fights which were ended when the state police stormed in and kicked everyone out. Not a pretty sight. You just try seperating two big, sweaty guys who are intensely focused on beating up someone.

Anyways, after the sport started blowing up and becoming huge popularity wise - Blago quietly lifted the ban. Apparantly money outweighs barbarism in this state. We threw the first live event held this year after the ban was lifted :)

A LOT of people..okay....probably EVERYONE in Illinois involved in MMA can't stand Blagoyviovixochvh (dont even ask me to spell his name). He's a Democrat. hehe.

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 10:50 AM
^^ that's awesome! i'm near chicago and would love to score some tickets ;)

& the only connection we have to find is someone willing to wear the shirt for some extra cash.. :)

belian78
09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
hellz yeah, i'd like to score some tix! I'd totally be wearing my RP gear. :D

Santana28
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
^^ that's awesome! i'm near chicago and would love to score some tickets ;)

& the only connection we have to find is someone willing to wear the shirt for some extra cash.. :)

actually, a lot of fighters are pretty conservative-leaning. i haven't quite figured out WHY yet...lol..

Brawl @ Bourbon Street (thats the venue) - southside Chicago, i think the next one is on the 26th of this month. LOL...we had the Wu Tang Clan at the last one. It was awesome.

and its no easy task getting fighters to wear your clothing at events - maybe during training. Tapout makes it hard... everyone HATES them... but they pay a ridiculous amount of cash to have their stuff on TV. Uusually fighters are Forced to wear whatver they are told to wear, unless its a title bout and they can represent whoever they want. Speaking of Tapout the show... did anyone see the one with Dave Strasser's Freestyle Academy and Sheron Leggett? Strasser's gym trains most of our fighters. Along with alot of the Militich(?) camp. Sherron went to school with my husband and they were on the wrestling team together. Bad dude.

Craig_R
09-13-2007, 11:14 AM
actually, a lot of fighters are pretty conservative-leaning. i haven't quite figured out WHY yet...lol..

Brawl @ Bourbon Street (thats the venue) - southside Chicago, i think the next one is on the 26th of this month. LOL...we had the Wu Tang Clan at the last one. It was awesome.

and its no easy task getting fighters to wear your clothing at events - maybe during training. Tapout makes it hard... everyone HATES them... but they pay a ridiculous amount of cash to have their stuff on TV. Uusually fighters are Forced to wear whatver they are told to wear, unless its a title bout and they can represent whoever they want. Speaking of Tapout the show... did anyone see the one with Dave Strasser's Freestyle Academy and Sheron Leggett? Strasser's gym trains most of our fighters. Along with alot of the Militich(?) camp. Sherron went to school with my husband and they were on the wrestling team together. Bad dude.

I did see that, kenosha right? I watch everything on MMA. I'm still a boxing fan but if there is an MMA fight on and boxing at the same time I record the boxing fight and watch the MMA ;) I'm in the chicago area as well, I've got a friend who is an aspiraring MMA fighter and Ron Paul supporter, I'll ask him to start wearing a RP T to his fights (which are not often, unfortunately)

saku39
09-13-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't think there is much of a MMA and Ron Paul connection.

That said, my screen name is saku39 which is in reference to a japanese mma fighter named Kazushi Sakuraba. He's the one in the air. :)

http://www.mmahq.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/sakuraba-royce.jpg

I will be attending the UFC in Anaheim. I will be wearing a Ron Paul shirt, I will be handing out flyers before the event and will spread the word to anyone that asks me.

nullvalu
09-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't think there is much of a MMA and Ron Paul connection.

That said, my screen name is saku39 which is in reference to a japanese mma fighter named Kazushi Sakuraba. He's the one in the air. :)

I will be attending the UFC in Anaheim. I will be wearing a Ron Paul shirt, I will be handing out flyers before the event and will spread the word to anyone that asks me.

Awesome.. make sure to inform the meetup and make this effort an action event.. get some people to slim jim cars during the fight.. while some people may oppose leafletting cars at a church, this venue would seem more appropriate..

Lord Xar
09-13-2007, 11:23 AM
I was heavily into Mixed Martial Arts, still am. I actually had an online clothing store for it -- this ron paul stuff made it impossible to do both, so I shut it down... THANKS RON PAUL.

But yes. I had an idea of paying a fighter to wear a Ron Paul shirt into the Next UFC, into the fight... as they walk down the aisle. Not practical though, as someone mentioned they all have sponsors...

Santana28
09-13-2007, 11:31 AM
I was heavily into Mixed Martial Arts, still am. I actually had an online clothing store for it -- this ron paul stuff made it impossible to do both, so I shut it down... THANKS RON PAUL.

But yes. I had an idea of paying a fighter to wear a Ron Paul shirt into the Next UFC, into the fight... as they walk down the aisle. Not practical though, as someone mentioned they all have sponsors...

Getting something on a UFC PPV would be next to impossible Lord Xar... unless you have 5 figures to spare :-P or a fighter that REALLY loves Ron Paul, and is going for the belt. LOL.

saku39
09-13-2007, 11:38 AM

Lord Xar, what was the name of the company? If you don't mind me asking.

mtmedlin
09-13-2007, 06:17 PM

I watch it on Spike TV and through Spotrunner you can get alot of 30 second slots CHEAP.

Sola_Fide
08-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Anybody know if Ringside Revolution is going to happen in 2012?

Eric21ND
08-27-2010, 06:00 AM
Anybody know if Ringside Revolution is going to happen in 2012?
What's that?