PDA

View Full Version : LOTS of libertarianism in the media this week!

Matt Collins
01-29-2009, 06:22 PM
In the last day or two and also on Friday there has been a LOT of libertarian commentators and a lot of liberty ideas around the media.

Today -
Dave Ramsey financial guru says he's a libertarian (although he calls RP "creepy")

Judge Napolitano was on Glen Beck followed by Penn Jillet (from Penn & Teller).

Wayne Allyn Root was on Phil Valentine talking about libertarianism. And tonight WAR will also be on the Savage Nation feat Michael Savage.

And I've had two talk show personalities this week tell me they wish they had supported Ron Paul during the primaries.

And tomorrow (Friday) is the big call-in day for talk radio. That will continue the momentum through the news cycle during the weekend too.

In other words libertarianism IS HOT this week and the word "libertarian" has essentially become a part of the mainstream political lexicon when 2 years ago the word "libertarian" was rarely if ever mentioned. I think a great deal of this is due to the success of the RP '08 campaign.

MRoCkEd
01-29-2009, 06:31 PM
don't forgot all of ron's appearances

Matt Collins
01-29-2009, 06:35 PM
This thread talks about this a bit too:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=177433

Matt Collins
01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
don't forgot all of ron's appearancesI honestly haven't been paying much attention. Has he been making the rounds lately?

MRoCkEd
01-29-2009, 06:47 PM
I honestly haven't been paying much attention. Has he been making the rounds lately?
CNN American Morning, Glenn Beck, Morning Joe, Washington Journal

heavenlyboy34
01-29-2009, 06:48 PM
In the last day or two and also on Friday there has been a LOT of libertarian commentators and a lot of liberty ideas around the media.

Today -
Dave Ramsey financial guru says he's a libertarian (although he calls RP "creepy")

Judge Napolitano was on Glen Beck followed by Penn Jillet (from Penn & Teller).

Wayne Allyn Root was on Phil Valentine talking about libertarianism. And tonight WAR will also be on the Savage Nation feat Michael Savage.

And I've had two talk show personalities this week tell me they wish they had supported Ron Paul during the primaries.

And tomorrow (Friday) is the big call-in day for talk radio. That will continue the momentum through the news cycle during the weekend too.

In other words libertarianism IS HOT this week and the word "libertarian" has essentially become a part of the mainstream political lexicon when 2 years ago the word "libertarian" was rarely if ever mentioned. I think a great deal of this is due to the success of the RP '08 campaign.

Don't pin your hopes on Root, buddy. ;) I thought you were a republican guy, anyways. :confused:

Matt Collins
01-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Don't pin your hopes on Root, buddy. ;) I thought you were a republican guy, anyways. :confused:I am a libertarian. And I will vote for any liberty candidate on the ballot over any candidate who is not. And no a 3rd party doesn't have a chance next time (although a Root / Ventura ticket could be entertaining to watch). 3rd parties won't have a chance at President for at least 50 years. But for smaller and local races? Very possible.

And yes I am working to change the GOP within as Ron and Rand have advised us to do.

Conza88
01-29-2009, 08:10 PM
This is what you call Cherry Picking the data.

http://infolab.stanford.edu/~qluo/baby/p0012/000519-cherry-picking.jpg

Fallacious, because for the other 23 and a half hours of the day, on all other channels it's bailout, propaganda bullshit.

Drop the tunnel vision. The Media ain't helping us. So don't prop the bullshit up, with a post like this.

The_Orlonater
01-29-2009, 08:53 PM
I honestly haven't been paying much attention. Has he been making the rounds lately?

You should of seen him on Mornin' Joe. It was funny, I woke up to hearing Mika say "Ron Paul."

Jump started my day.

Matt Collins
01-29-2009, 09:28 PM

Drop the tunnel vision. The Media ain't helping us. So don't prop the bullshit up, with a post like this.

Riiiiight because the several million people who saw Beck with Napolitano and Penn talking about libertarianism today had zero effect.

Because the fact that Dave Ramsey the most popular self-help radio talk show host in the US (possibly the world) calling himself a "libertarian" today had zero effect.

Because the fact that Wayne Allyn Root discussing libertarianism in front of probably 10-30 million listeners today had zero effect.

Because Tom Woods is probably about to get an interview in front of a million or more people in the near future will have zero effect.

Because Ron Paul has been on Neil Cavuto over 35+ times has zero effect.....

Obviously the media is not our friend most of the time, especially when it comes to campaigns, but they are starting to catch on that liberty is popular which means higher ratings. It is now en vogue to criticize the Dem / BO crowd from a libertarian perspective. That's a good thing.... at least for now...

Please try to keep up.

Conza88
01-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Obviously the media is not our friend most of the time, especially when it comes to campaigns, but they are starting to catch on that liberty is popular which means higher ratings. It is now en vogue to criticize the Dem / BO crowd from a libertarian perspective. That's a good thing.... at least for now...

Please try to keep up.

Obviously you are stupid enough to believe this is all genuine. You fail remarkably. :rolleyes:

You DON'T THINK this some how coincides with the Republicans "OPPOSING" the bailouts, because the democrats are in now? :confused:

LOOK, you dead shit. It is about GIVING THE APPEARANCE OF OPPOSITION.

The bailout will pass, and all the while people will be coddled back into the system,
- "OHHHH it's not BOTH PARTIES that are selling the United States down the river"
- "It's just those in power, the Democrats now"

You've got to be fcken kidding me! Seriously, you are fcken blind and delusional.

Try to keep up.

smithtg
01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Riiiiight because the several million people who saw Beck with Napolitano and Penn talking about libertarianism today had zero effect.

Because the fact that Dave Ramsey the most popular self-help radio talk show host in the US (possibly the world) calling himself a "libertarian" today had zero effect.

Because the fact that Wayne Allyn Root discussing libertarianism in front of probably 10-30 million listeners today had zero effect.

Because Tom Woods is probably about to get an interview in front of a million or more people in the near future will have zero effect.

Because Ron Paul has been on Neil Cavuto over 35+ times has zero effect.....

Please try to keep up.

reverse psychology does have an effect. When NBC, ABC and every other outlet reports the same BS news about the positives regarding Obama's direction and the bailout etc (name the crisis), people will listen more when there IS a dissenting side that makes sense (thats if they truly have an open mind)

Conza88
01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1937919&postcount=20

Hiki
01-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Obviously you are stupid enough to believe this is all genuine. You fail remarkably. :rolleyes:

You DON'T THINK this some how coincides with the Republicans "OPPOSING" the bailouts, because the democrats are in now? :confused:

LOOK, you dead shit. It is about GIVING THE APPEARANCE OF OPPOSITION.

The bailout will pass, and all the while people will be coddled back into the system,
- "OHHHH it's not BOTH PARTIES that are selling the United States down the river"
- "It's just those in power, the Democrats now"

You've got to be fcken kidding me! Seriously, you are fcken blind and delusional.

Try to keep up.

Ahh... Always so positive and polite :)

Matt Collins
01-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Obviously you are stupid enough to believe this is all genuine. You fail remarkably. :rolleyes: I Never said it was genuine. Please learn how to read and comprehend.

You DON'T THINK this some how coincides with the Republicans "OPPOSING" the bailouts, because the democrats are in now? Of course it is. It's nothing more than a partisan mud fest.

LOOK, you dead shit.Your lack of vocabulary is showing (and your ignorance) when you make personal attacks and launch insults. It's also a quick way to get banned.

Conza88
01-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Ahh... Always so positive and polite :)

Ahh... Always contributing nothing substantive to the discussion. :)

I Never said it was genuine. Please learn how to read and comprehend.

You certainly implied it:

"but they are starting to catch on that liberty is popular which means higher ratings"

Which is utterly wrong. You think they are suddenyly catching on now? Lmao. They got the picture, when we EMAILED the hell out of them on practically every program! Can't you remember that?! Thousands, and thousands and thousands of emails, at our height. They cldn't ignore us... UNLESS THEY TRIED. And by gawd, they did.

Their role is mostly propaganda. It ain't letting the American people know the TRUTH, thats for damn sure.
So there motive isn't: "getting higher ratings, because there is a Ron Paul crowd out there!" :rolleyes:

Of course it is. It's nothing more than a partisan mud fest.

Ok good. Then you acknowledge the media is manipulating it so there appears to be real opposition to this stuff. That "democracy" works. :rolleyes:

Your lack of vocabulary is showing (and your ignorance) when you make personal attacks and launch insults. It's also a quick way to get banned.

Accosting me for personal attacks is a quick way to get yourself called a hypocrite.

How's that facebook attack on Jesse Benton going for you? :rolleyes:

Matt Collins
01-30-2009, 12:40 PM
You certainly implied it:
"but they are starting to catch on that liberty is popular which means higher ratings"Now you are putting words in my mouth. I in no way said it was "genuine" nor did I imply such.

You think they are suddenyly catching on now? Lmao. They got the picture, when we EMAILED the hell out of them on practically every program! Can't you remember that?! Thousands, and thousands and thousands of emails, at our height.That's my point. They are starting to see that it's popular so they are starting to include more libertarian viewpoints in order to increase their ratings in an attempt to be more reflective of the audience. Does that mean they are genuine? Perhaps... or perhaps not. I have no idea what is in the head of Glen Beck and others. But the FACT is that libertarianism is starting to become more mainstream because the Republican / conservatives are now mostly aligned with it at least for the near future.

That's an undeniable fact.

Ok good. Then you acknowledge the media is manipulating it so there appears to be real opposition to this stuff. Of course the media is manipulating it. But there is indeed real opposition and (some of) the media is starting to show this opposition. Why? Because now that neo/conservatives are in the minority it is good for ratings.

How's that facebook attack on Jesse Benton going for you? :rolleyes: I haven't attacked anyone. Benton did happen to call a fellow patiort "a liar" in front of 500+ people. Many others posted something explaining to him that it was unacceptable; Isreal Anderson included.

Elwar
01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Today -

I used to listen to Dave Ramsey a lot. He always preaches small government fiscally. Nothing really socially since his show has nothing to do with that.

His show is a great libertarian guide for living your life without the need for government. I've read his book and plan to get back on my budget once I close on my house.

He's not all that in favor of buying gold. He's ok with having it as a small part of your portfolio but not much more than that, pushing high yield mutual funds.

He's pragmatic as far as public schools go. When people call who are struggling to make ends meet who are also sending their kids to private school he tells them that they might want to consider sending their kids to public school as a possible solution.

His program is more geared to the psychology of getting out of debt as opposed to the most efficient way to get out of debt. Pay the smallest debt first, then roll the extra payments into the next smallest. This gives the psychological encouragement that you're actually accomplishing something. Though not the most efficient if your smallest debt is charging you 5% interest and a larger debt you're being charged 18%. But I imagine that people in debt in the first place aren't all that good at efficiency in the first place so the psychological way is probably a good way to go.

Matt Collins
01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
His program is more geared to the psychology of getting out of debt as opposed to the most efficient way to get out of debt. Exactly. Dave's show isn't about finance, it's about behavior.

Conza88
01-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Now you are putting words in my mouth. I in no way said it was "genuine" nor did I imply such.

That's bullshit. HOW can you not say, that:
"but they are starting to catch on that liberty is popular which means higher ratings"

THAT is not meaning, the new coverage is because of normal, GENUINE, market operations - higher ratings. How the fck can you contend otherwise? Don't just say I'm putting words into your mouth, actually have a coherent logical argument to back it up. Fail.

That's my point. They are starting to see that it's popular so they are starting to include more libertarian viewpoints in order to increase their ratings in an attempt to be more reflective of the audience. Does that mean they are genuine? Perhaps... or perhaps not. I have no idea what is in the head of Glen Beck and others. But the FACT is that libertarianism is starting to become more mainstream because the Republican / conservatives are now mostly aligned with it at least for the near future.

That's an undeniable fact.

That is amazingly retarded. We send them 100,000's of emails during the campaign. They ignore us, call us kooks, we don't exist. NOW, we send practically NO emails and we get minimal coverage. Get fcked. You are irrational. It's not genuine, wake the fck up. It's short term highlighting to create perceived opposition, to keep the lemmings in the fold.

Of course the media is manipulating it. But there is indeed real opposition and (some of) the media is starting to show this opposition. Why? Because now that neo/conservatives are in the minority it is good for ratings.

Completely irrational. Being FOR the Iraq war was in the minority for the last few years. 70% wanted out of Iraq. :rolleyes: There IS real opposition, like Ron Paul. Glen Beck is NOT REAL OPPOSITION. Kucinich is REAL opposition. All the Republicans that voted first bailout, and not now - ARE NOT REAL OPPOSITION.

Yet LIBERTARIANISM isn't getting vocal coverage. It's a drop in the bucket mate. Wake up.

I haven't attacked anyone. Benton did happen to call a fellow patiort "a liar" in front of 500+ people. Many others posted something explaining to him that it was unacceptable; Isreal Anderson included.

You never found out what that was about? Yeah, the truth isn't your strong point. :rolleyes:

Matt Collins
01-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Conza - when you can reply like an adult (I somehow get the impression that you are under age) I might consider responding to the rest of your posts. Try using a bit more civilized language, no insults, or personal attacks, and no childish statements. When you do that you might get a response. People might be more inclined to take you seriously then.

Conza88
01-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Conza - when you can reply like an adult (I somehow get the impression that you are under age) I might consider responding to the rest of your posts. Try using a bit more civilized language, no insults, or personal attacks, and no childish statements. When you do that you might get a response. People might be more inclined to take you seriously then.

Yep, I often struggle to overcome a profound insight in the incongruous behavior of people, such as yourself.

Oddly enough, I think I'm taken far more seriously than you have ever been. lol :o

How long till the next attempted public tarring Matt? Posted any more pictures of yourself all over facebook groups? Managed to construct some kind of following yet? Know anyone who seems to care about your shenanigans?

Just a suggestion: Try using a bit more coherency and logical reasoning in your arguments, no irrationality, or a profound willful ignorance about reality, stop trying to erect a fiasco/scandal and then play the victim, lessen the personal attacks and insults, and no childish statements and tirades in the fallacious escapades you attempt to do with your public tarring ceremonies .

When you do that you might get a favourable response. People might be more inclined to take you seriously then.

tonesforjonesbones
01-30-2009, 11:35 PM
3/4 of the people on this forum are underage. Conza...go play with your gi joes and let the adults talk.

Now, whether the focus is genuine or not...if someone hears the message and comes to liberty ..all the better. It's the MESSAGE that is important...be happy people are talking about liberty. tones

Conza88
01-30-2009, 11:43 PM
3/4 of the people on this forum are underage. Conza...go play with your gi joes and let the adults talk.

Now, whether the focus is genuine or not...if someone hears the message and comes to liberty ..all the better. It's the MESSAGE that is important...be happy people are talking about liberty. tones

Being attacked by Tones and Matt means I must be doing something right.

Wow, another person who doesn't get it. :rolleyes:

Clearly you haven't bothered to read everything I've ended my comments with, practically every time (when making the argument that is, and not when responding to an inanely juvenile discourse with Matt).

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1937919&postcount=20

So I say we start educating and milking the media coverage for all it's worth to hopefully explain libertarianism and the philosophical foundation thereof. This way when the neo/conservatives split in the future we can have more people with us than previously.

Ummm, yeaaah this is exactly what I've said. Point people to it, but also acknowledge it for the message, and SHOW THEM OTHER MATERIAL: show them it is being discussed on the mainstream news, then point them to LEWROCKWELL.COM and MISES.ORG - use the mainstream media, to help give credibility.

But if we start going, WATCH fox News, watch Glen Beck - all that happens is, they eventually change their tune. AS THEY WILL. Then all the work goes wasted, the drones you were telling to watch Glen Beck, are now going to get confused when you say - "Don't watch Glen Beck, we really aren't terrorists!"As in, he starts saying those people who don't want to get chipped, are terrorists! It's for your own good! National Security! :eek:

I really don't know how hard it could be.

- "Beck managed to get it right this time.. pity about every other time"
- "He's pretty much copying the Austrian Economics analysis of the situation.."
- "They can be found here at lewrockwell.com and mises.org"
- "I prefer to watch Beck for entertainment value, not long term credible information. He does get a lot wrong, like the war on terrorism etc."

:confused:

Point being TONES, the messenger SCULPTS the MESSAGE. And they can CHANGE THEIR TUNE, and the MESSAGE ANYTIME THEY WANT. :rolleyes:

Matt Collins
02-09-2009, 12:31 AM
I used to listen to Dave Ramsey a lot.

Here is Dave Ramsey calling Ron Paul "creepy" 2 weeks ago:
http://nashvillegop.org/misc/Ramsey-RP1.mp3

Here is Dave Ramsey introducing his audience to Keynesian Economics:
http://nashvillegop.org/misc/Ramsey1300.mp3
http://nashvillegop.org/misc/Ramsey1325.mp3

Matt Collins
05-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Bump for fun.

mediahasyou
05-20-2009, 05:20 PM

He was comparing the amount of libertarianism now to the amount two years ago.

Conza88
05-20-2009, 08:53 PM
He was comparing the amount of libertarianism now to the amount two years ago.

What he was using to compare it with, wasn't Libertarianism.

Glen Beck = Not a Libertarian.

He's a neocon.

YouTube - Glenn Beck is a Neocon (Not a Libertarian) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6C6E6ayh4U)

american.swan
05-20-2009, 09:34 PM
We know in Harry Potter books, there is a character who can't be named. Now I am not a fan of Harry Potter. I am too old. But there are two characters this Liberty movement mentions a lot that I refuse to utter. This dude above is one and the other one is a famous governor in the south. I see no point in uttering either of their names and won't do so.

tonesforjonesbones
05-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Glenn Beck was never really a neo con like..say Cheney or wolfowitz...but Glenn Beck is much more libertarian now. I don't think you nutz on here actually listen to the guy...you're too busy trying to discredit him. Glenn Beck is doing a fine job spreading the liberty message. tones

shenlu54
05-20-2009, 09:55 PM
The idea of liberty should unite people,not spilt people.

Being a libertarian means you can tolerate different ideas,you have an open mind and it is always good to see libertarianism getting more and more attention today.

So there is no need to "hate" MSM medias.

Conza88
05-21-2009, 01:03 AM

Being a libertarian means you can tolerate different ideas,you have an open mind and it is always good to see libertarianism getting more and more attention today.

Being a LIBERTARIAN means you adhere to the NON AGGRESSION AXIOM (PRINCIPLE)

IF YOU CAN'T, then you need to call yourself something else, because a LIBERTARIAN IS WHAT YOU ARE NOT.

War = violates both property rights and the non aggression axiom.

You fail remarkably and so does anyone who support such actions.

Millions dead? I "hate" those that deserve it. War criminals and mouth pieces for the regime that try to justify the deaths of millions - I fucken despise. And I am sick to death of cnts trying to defend them. Directly, or indirectly. If you don't like the rhetoric or confronting truth, click away. But don't try writing responses, with an attempt to claim the moral highground - because you don't have it, and never well.

/general rant

shenlu54
05-21-2009, 02:53 AM
Liberals think they have moral rights to free people by invading foreign countries.

People have different ideas,always...If you hate them,you will never get the chance to change their minds.

ClayTrainor
05-21-2009, 03:03 AM

That's not what libertarianism is, at all.... not even close. It has nothing to do with tolerance, and has everything to do with freedom. Of course you have to tolerate other peoples freedoms but, do not tolerate 'liberal' crap that infringes on your rights.

"a political philosophy maintaining that all persons are the absolute owners of their own lives, and should be free to do whatever they wish with their persons or property, provided they allow others the same liberty" - Wiktionary

Liberals think they have moral rights to free people by invading foreign countries.

People have different ideas,always...If you hate them,you will never get the chance to change their minds.

I agree, Conza really needs to change his approach if he expects to make conversions. He acts like this whenever he's in a disagreement with someone. His approach is insulting, even when i 100% agree with him. Overall tho, he's a great guy, and has made some great contributions to this forum. :)

I'm just saying, i don't think your approach is very effective Conza, when you get in these heated discussions.

My point is, Anger and name-calling will hurt your cause, rather than help it.
Most people are willing to come around with appropriate logic, and a respectful attitude. Those who aren't, we should just ignore and move on, rather than get fired up and start throwing around 'hate' and insults :)