PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or did our stimulus last year screw us for this year?

Tatsit
01-29-2009, 06:17 PM
I started to prep my taxes this year and what it appears is that the simulus package last year is deducted out of my taxes this year, is anyone else seeing this too?

I take out the fact that I got one, and my refund jumps quite a bit... put it in and it screws me... I guess I want to know if others are getting that same thing??

dannno
01-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Maybe we got taxed on our stimulus checks?

Tatsit
01-29-2009, 06:32 PM
oh no.. its deducted by the full amount of the stimulus amount.

jkr
01-29-2009, 08:24 PM
i got married and might see more $...

satchelmcqueen
01-29-2009, 09:29 PM
yes i lost $1800 yesterday because of this. it screwed me too.

2orb
01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
The origional stimulus appears to have been a loan rather than the refund it was promoted to be; a loan against this years taxes.

Original_Intent
01-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh they lied I know they said at the time it was not an early refund.

And what really pisses me off is the people out there getting Earned Income credit that also got refunds - you know damn well it isn't going to get deducted from their so-called refund this year.

moostraks
01-30-2009, 10:44 AM
A little research shows, apparently tax programs are writing in the stimulus and then removing it if you received the check. So it appears you are losing the money from this years refund. It is probably a means to make sure everyone gets the check if the did not get it last year. It is not supposed to increase your income or decrease the amount of this years refund, ie not a loan. So if it had not occured the amount you get this year would (or should) be the same. Call IRS if in doubt, apparently they are fielding this call frequently because of the tax programs adding then subtracting it to insure everyone receives what they may have missed out on last year....

Tatsit
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Oh they lied I know they said at the time it was not an early refund.

And what really pisses me off is the people out there getting Earned Income credit that also got refunds - you know damn well it isn't going to get deducted from their so-called refund this year.

Yep, according to the stimulus check notice it said this did not effect your 2008 tax refund.

freakin liers!

Original_Intent
01-30-2009, 03:32 PM
A little research shows, apparently tax programs are writing in the stimulus and then removing it if you received the check. So it appears you are losing the money from this years refund. It is probably a means to make sure everyone gets the check if the did not get it last year. It is not supposed to increase your income or decrease the amount of this years refund, ie not a loan. So if it had not occured the amount you get this year would (or should) be the same. Call IRS if in doubt, apparently they are fielding this call frequently because of the tax programs adding then subtracting it to insure everyone receives what they may have missed out on last year....

That's a relief - thanks! I hope this is accurate.