PDA

View Full Version : I find myself wearing my sidearm more often these days.

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 09:30 AM
For over ten years I've lived in northern New England and I've had a CCW for twice that long.

My first CCW was issued in FL, and where I worked, believe me, it was needed, I never went anywhere without at least one sidearm.

Where I live now, is not, by any stretch of the imigination, the same sort of area. The whole state of NH has as many murders in a year than Palm Beach County FL has in a bad weekend.

But I'm seeing a disturbing trend as things fall apart.

This happened in the next town over from me:

2 charged in connection with NH bank robbery
The Associated Press
Updated: 01/23/2009 06:17:33 PM EST

SANBORNVILLE, N.H.—Police in Sanbornville, N.H., say two people have been taken into custody after a bank robbery during which bank customers subdued one of the robbers.

Police said they were called to the Profile Bank shortly before 1 p.m. Friday. Officers said five bank customers had subdued one of the robbers in nearby woods.

Thirty-seven-year-old Paul Dimeo of Connecticut was arrested and charged with armed robbery. Police said they recovered a weapon from Dimeo.

Police said they searched the area and found 49-year-old Tammy Fowler of Maine, in a vehicle near the bank. She was arrested and charged with accomplice to armed robbery.

What the article doesn't say (of course) is that two of those men were armed.

I'm seeing more incidents like this.

So, where before, I sometimes wouldn't bother wearing my sidearm, I now find myself almost always wearing one. Probably the smart thing anyway.

NH is also an "open carry" state, which is how I carry.

Cinderella
01-29-2009, 09:39 AM
im in mass....waiting for my stimulas to help me get my gun license! woot woot!!

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 09:43 AM
im in mass....waiting for my stimulas to help me get my gun license! woot woot!!

I've got a buddy of mine down Cape that has been trying to negotiate through that maze for the last couple months.

Good luck.

Damn shame, you have to get a "license" from the state to exercise your rights.

Consider a move to NH, or VT or even ME.

All three are "gun friendly" and so you don't need no steekin license.:D

Cinderella
01-29-2009, 09:46 AM
and when u go for the interview they have the authority to not give u the license!! isnt that crazy? my bro is in the military and he knows how "revolutionary" i get...so he told me not to say that im going for my license because its my right, otherwise theyd not give it to me...i hate massachusetts

liberteebell
01-29-2009, 09:46 AM
For over ten years I've lived in northern New England and I've had a CCW for twice that long.

My first CCW was issued in FL, and where I worked, believe me, it was needed, I never went anywhere without at least one sidearm.

Where I live now, is not, by any stretch of the imigination, the same sort of area. The whole state of NH has as many murders in a year than Palm Beach County FL has in a bad weekend.

The Associated Press

SANBORNVILLE, N.H.—Police in Sanbornville, N.H., say two people have been taken into custody after a bank robbery during which bank customers subdued one of the robbers.

Police said they were called to the Profile Bank shortly before 1 p.m. Friday. Officers said five bank customers had subdued one of the robbers in nearby woods.

Thirty-seven-year-old Paul Dimeo of Connecticut was arrested and charged with armed robbery. Police said they recovered a weapon from Dimeo.

Police said they searched the area and found 49-year-old Tammy Fowler of Maine, in a vehicle near the bank. She was arrested and charged with accomplice to armed robbery.

So, where before, I sometimes wouldn't bother wearing my sidearm, I now find myself almost always wearing one. Probably the smart thing anyway.

Yup.

SnappleLlama
01-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Wow...PA only requires a license for concealed carry. What's the deal with Massachusetts?

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Wow...PA only requires a license for concealed carry. What's the deal with Massachusetts?

Mass. is like NJ, IL, and, I think CA and HI.

You must have a state issued Firearm Owners ID card, to buy, possess or carry (locked up and unloaded) firearms in your car.

In NJ you must have one to purchase ammo as well, AND you must fill out another, similar form for EACH handgun purchase you make.

Fingerprints, FBI and state police background checks are required, as well as "description of need".

It's horribly intrusive and expensive.

HR1022, in the House right now, will require the same thing for every state.

coastie
01-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I've been carrying a lot more than usual as well. I always carry when I drive, anytime I leave my driveway. Lately, my gun is on my hip, even iside the house.

On a side note, I've noticed a LOT more boaters having guns on board than in previous years, and they're usually surprised when I tell them thats a GOOD thing.:cool:

Its a crying shame that people still think they have to jump when I tell them to ( Fed Law Enforcement, US Coast Guard.). 16 months and i'll no longer be employed by Uncle Sam...and i cant wait!!!!:D

SnappleLlama
01-29-2009, 10:01 AM

You must have a state issued Firearm Owners ID card, to buy, possess or carry (locked up and unloaded) firearms in your car.

In NJ you must have one to purchase ammo as well, AND you must fill out another, similar form for EACH handgun purchase you make.

Fingerprints, FBI and state police background checks are required, as well as "description of need".

OMG...thanks for the tip, I'm going to check out HR 1022 right now!! EEK!

SnappleLlama
01-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Oh, wait...I knew about this one already. I never knew its HR #. LOL!

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 10:05 AM
I've been carrying a lot more than usual as well. I always carry when I drive, anytime I leave my driveway. Lately, my gun is on my hip, even iside the house.

On a side note, I've noticed a LOT more boaters having guns on board than in previous years, and they're usually surprised when I tell them thats a GOOD thing.:cool:

Its a crying shame that people still think they have to jump when I tell them to ( Fed Law Enforcement, US Coast Guard.). 16 months and i'll no longer be employed by Uncle Sam...and i cant wait!!!!:D

LoL, my stepson did four years with Uncle Sam's Confused Group.

So did my dad.

Now, serious question, I know that, on a private, recreational vessel, you can carry weapons, I always did on my small craft as well.

But why do I have to comply with UN/IMO regulations that as the master of a large merchant vessel, I cannot keep a weapon (or weapons, I think every commercial vessel should have a small arms locker) for defense of my ship and crew?

Capt. Kelly Sweeny (http://www.maritimeheadhunters.com/) has been doing a good job of getting this issue out in the public, I have been doing the same.

He was on the Alex Jones show on 10 December last year, Mrs. AF called in spoke with him about this issue.

If a pilot can do it, I should be able to as well.:mad:

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 10:07 AM
OMG...thanks for the tip, I'm going to check out HR 1022 right now!! EEK!

Did I get the HR number right?

The "Blair Holt Bill" introduced by Bobby Rush?

Got phones ringing off the hook here barking dogs and hollering kids...multitasking from hell.

SnappleLlama
01-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Did I get the HR number right?

The "Blair Holt Bill" introduced by Bobby Rush?

Got phones ringing off the hook here barking dogs and hollering kids...multitasking from hell.

This is the one from the 110th Congress, sponsored by Carolyn McCarthy from NY:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

xd9fan
01-29-2009, 11:35 AM
You should be wearing your gun everyday requardless of economics

As V would say: "It means that I, like God, do not play with dice and I don't believe in coincidences."

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 03:31 PM
This is the one from the 110th Congress, sponsored by Carolyn McCarthy from NY:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

Nope, I knew I had the number wrong, although HR 1022 is bad enough.

No, I was talking about this one, HR 45

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45&tab=summary

This will create a nation ID/Firearm "license" similar to the one in NJ or MA.

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 03:32 PM
You should be wearing your gun everyday requardless of economics

As V would say: "It means that I, like God, do not play with dice and I don't believe in coincidences."

Won't argue with that.

Pennsylvania
01-29-2009, 03:53 PM
It would take quite an increase in my confidence to carry a loaded gun with me everywhere. Are there any places you don't take it? Bars (drinking-related events in general)? Churches?

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
It would take quite an increase in my confidence to carry a loaded gun with me everywhere. Are there any places you don't take it? Bars (drinking-related events in general)? Churches?

Not many.

NH law prohibits carry into courts, that's it.

Federal law has more restrictions, but I try very hard to stay off federal property.

Bar? Don't go to them.

Church? Yup, when I go, which isn't often.;)

phill4paul
01-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes. Always now. Even at work for just going to and from.

Bank robberies up in my area. Also home break-ins.

Carson
01-29-2009, 06:29 PM

The Associated Press

Thanks

phill4paul
01-29-2009, 06:44 PM

NC is also an Anomalous Carry State.

I can remember back in the '70s in Alabama my uncle always carrying a revolver at his hip. Cowboy slung.;) Even in the local bank and once I remember in a bar. Nobody turned their head or thought that he was doing something "weird". Nobody ever messed with him. They were always nice and cordial just like he was.:D

porcupine
01-29-2009, 07:04 PM

Blech! We have lots of good people who are refugees from the people's republic of taxachusetts...you should come on up and stop submitting to that kind of crap. You could buy AND carry here (open) without any permission whatsoever.

To the OP, glad to hear you're carrying more. I think it's out duty as citizens.

Carson
01-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Blech! We have lots of good people who are refugees from the people's republic of taxachusetts...you should come on up and stop submitting to that kind of crap. You could buy AND carry here (open) without any permission whatsoever.

To the OP, glad to hear you're carrying more. I think it's out duty as citizens.

Where is up here?

heath.whiteaker
01-29-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm getting a CWP this weekend. The Young Republicans are putting on the class.... Thought it was a good deal @ just $35.00

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Where is up here?

New Hampshire.

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Keep in mind that you can open carry in NH.

But you cannot have a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a CCW.

Rifles and shotguns must always be unloaded in vehicle. (Hunting regs)

Just tossing the legalese out there.;)

Anti Federalist
01-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm getting a CWP this weekend. The Young Republicans are putting on the class.... Thought it was a good deal @ just $35.00

Good deal.

I recall spending about $50 for mine back in 1989.

The Dan
01-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Texas:

Can carry concealed in a car without a license

The application for a CHL can be denied at any time for any reason; but they know better and don't.

Can't carry in bars, churches, schools, courtrooms, etc. But I don't spend much time in those places anyway.

Texas is slowly winning back our 2nd Amendment rights, piece by piece. There is an open carry bill in the works right now.

Brooklyn Red Leg
01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
No, I was talking about this one, HR 45.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ! Goddamn Congressfucktard forgot the 10th Amendment exists!

Truth Warrior
01-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Jesus H. Fucking Christ! Goddamn Congressfucktard forgot the 10th Amendment exists! That's Amendment X. X is THE unknown in the US Congress, Executive and Judicial branches. :p :rolleyes:

PatriotLegion
01-30-2009, 04:32 PM

NYS is the same. You need a Pistol License to purchase and good luck getting CCW!!! They let you have it for target shooting and takes months to get it. Its a PAIN IN THE ASS!!! I will be going to get my soon and more sooner then later...

Andrew Ryan
01-30-2009, 04:37 PM
At least you have a sidearm.