PDA

View Full Version : Reverend Luke checking in

LibertiORDeth
01-28-2009, 01:33 AM
I just became an ordained minister for the Universal Life Church. I am going to file for Social Security exemption (WOOHOO 7.65% less taxes for life), and here is the email I wrote to my new church:

Hello fellow ministers of the Universal Life Church,
I am going to claim exemption from Social Security for the remainder of my life, as I have the legal ability to do that as a minister of the Universal Life Church. In accordance with the law, I am informing you of my well thought out and planned for decision, as I have decided to instead choose to invest and save my money wisely with God's help, and the Universal Life Church is my authority to do so. As stated in 1131: Exemption from Self-Employment Coverage:
"

An exemption from self-employment coverage under Social Security can be obtained by:

Any duly ordained, commissioned, or licensed minister of a church, member of a religious order who has not taken a vow of poverty; or

Any Christian Science practitioner who is conscientiously opposed, or because of religious principles is opposed, to the acceptance of Social Security benefits (or other public insurance providing similar benefits) based on services as a minister, member or practitioner..

Applications filed after 1986 must also contain a statement that you have informed the ordaining, commissioning or licensing body of the church, or order of your opposition to the acceptance of Social Security benefits."
I trust I am blessed by the church in this endeavor.
In God's name,
Reverend Luke Strong

tremendoustie
01-28-2009, 02:33 AM
I just became an ordained minister for the Universal Life Church. I am going to file for Social Security exemption (WOOHOO 7.65% less taxes for life), and here is the email I wrote to my new church:

Hello fellow ministers of the Universal Life Church,
I am going to claim exemption from Social Security for the remainder of my life, as I have the legal ability to do that as a minister of the Universal Life Church. In accordance with the law, I am informing you of my well thought out and planned for decision, as I have decided to instead choose to invest and save my money wisely with God's help, and the Universal Life Church is my authority to do so. As stated in 1131: Exemption from Self-Employment Coverage:
"

An exemption from self-employment coverage under Social Security can be obtained by:

Any duly ordained, commissioned, or licensed minister of a church, member of a religious order who has not taken a vow of poverty; or

Any Christian Science practitioner who is conscientiously opposed, or because of religious principles is opposed, to the acceptance of Social Security benefits (or other public insurance providing similar benefits) based on services as a minister, member or practitioner..

Applications filed after 1986 must also contain a statement that you have informed the ordaining, commissioning or licensing body of the church, or order of your opposition to the acceptance of Social Security benefits."
I trust I am blessed by the church in this endeavor.
In God's name,
Reverend Luke Strong

Wait ... does this really work!? Or, do you only get to avoid SS withholdings on the money you make as a "minister".

LibertiORDeth
01-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Wait ... does this really work!? Or, do you only get to avoid SS withholdings on the money you make as a "minister".

Actually I found out last night that's the case. I might be able to get my job declared as ministerial work...

Freedom 4 all
01-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Can anyone get ordained or do you have to go to seminary and stuff?

LibertiORDeth
01-28-2009, 11:02 AM
http://www.themonastery.org/

angelatc
01-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Wow! I could join the Christian Scientists and get exempted? I wish I had known that before now.