PDA

View Full Version : H.R. 156: Stop the Congressional Pay Raise Act

surf
01-27-2009, 07:35 PM
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-156

Is your rep on this list? if not, write them and ask them to co-sponsor H.R. 156

only 72 so far. ask your rep to do so. i have, and he's not a co-sponsor yet :mad:, so i'll try again.

As Representative Paul said, “Turning down our automatic pay increase this year is the least Congress could do to demonstrate fiscal responsibility and solidarity with our constituents in these tough economic times. Much more needs to be done to reduce the size and expense of government, but passing this legislation would be a start.”

RP4EVER
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
i dont believe what im seeing....talk about bipartisan.......and...my rep is on there

sluggo
01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
I like H.R. 500. (http://www.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/64)

It would make budget shortfalls come out of Congressional pay.

Imperial
01-28-2009, 06:54 PM
My rep sponsored it.

Michael Landon
02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I received a response from my Congressman.

Here it is:

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for expressing your opposition to efforts for members of Congress to increase their pay. I appreciate hearing from you.

Congress is required by Article I, Section 6, of the U.S. Constitution to determine its own pay. Under the Ethics Reform Act of 1989, congressional pay is adjusted annually unless Congress votes to reject an increase. The annual adjustment for members of Congress and other senior federal officials is based on changes in private sector wages and salaries as measured by the Employment Cost Index. It is similar to the cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs) that other federal employees and Social Security beneficiaries receive.

Under this revised method, members of Congress have accepted the annual adjustments in some years, and on some occasions, most recently in 2007, Congress voted to reject the pay adjustment. Beginning January 2009, members of Congress received a 2.8 percent pay adjustment. This increased our salary to $174,000.

I believe that members of Congress should receive annual adjustments in pay that are comparable to the COLAs that other federal employees and the pay adjustments of those in the private sector.

With best wishes.
Sincerely,
James L. Oberstar, M.C.

It doesn't look like he's on board. I used to like him, but the more he responses to my letters, the more I dislike him.

- ML

Truth Warrior
02-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Just consider it as another Congressional bailout. ;) :mad: