PDA

View Full Version : I'm at the point I don't trust anything.

Agent CSL
01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm not trying to alarm or delude myself, but I'm at the point where I can't trust anything I buy. Ever since an incident at a local grocery store I've been second guessing just about everything. It's turning into an OCD. I don't know where my food comes from, my pet's food, my shampoo, my art supplies, etc. I'll turn over the label and check out where it's from, and the ingredients. It's all about the ingredients. But how do I know that it's honest?

Well, obviously nothing's going to kill me, but the lies about ingredients or the viability/freshness of a product has really gotten me into an OCD. How do I know that this or that has been injected with artificial food colouring or microwaved?

'-'

Conza88
01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
You only need to start worrying real hardcore on Dec 21, 2009. Codex Arlimentarius. Or whatever it is comes online. :eek:

cthulhufan
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
You only need to start worrying real hardcore on Dec 21, 2009. Codex Arlimentarius. Or whatever it is comes online. :eek:

Hmm, this FILTH (http://www.codexalimentarius.net/web/index_en.jsp) is what you are referring to, correct?

Anyway, I hear ya AgentCSL, believe me when I tell you that this stuff bothers me and mine just as much. Take f'ing soy milk for example. Thought we were doing good and had a non GM product because it says so on the carton. After a little online research, hmm then again maybe not!

Just one more factor that adds to the soul crushing dread I feel on some days. I'd never choose to plug back in, but stuff like this doesn't have to fill me with joy. Knowing that others are out there that take things like this seriously helps though. ;)

lucius
01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
It's not the complete answer, but start eating the majority of meals as raw food to cut down on the processing. Get a blender with some horsepower, well worth it, because of ease of use. (Blendtec is the best) I had a link on homemade pet foods that I will try to find for you, which is a very interesting tangent. How quickly american pets die, due to processed pet foods, compared to their rural European counterparts: american pets live about a third as long. Thanks again for the tech advice, none of the other specific engineers put it as succinctly/directly as you did.

zach
01-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Feels great to know I'm not alone in thinking like this.

Not completely anxious about it, but I do wonder why products are increasingly becoming more detrimental to our lives. This shows how much the citizens' health are really taken in consideration.

Anti Federalist
01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Start by growing/raising your own food first, as much as you can.

Whatever you can't do yourself, buy local.

Start with a circle, yourself or your family at the center, and work out from there, keeping in mind that the farther you go from the center, the less control over and the less you will know about, the food you are eating.

I'm not trying to alarm or delude myself, but I'm at the point where I can't trust anything I buy. Ever since an incident at a local grocery store I've been second guessing just about everything. It's turning into an OCD. I don't know where my food comes from, my pet's food, my shampoo, my art supplies, etc. I'll turn over the label and check out where it's from, and the ingredients. It's all about the ingredients. But how do I know that it's honest?

Well, obviously nothing's going to kill me, but the lies about ingredients or the viability/freshness of a product has really gotten me into an OCD. How do I know that this or that has been injected with artificial food colouring or microwaved?

'-'

heavenlyboy34
01-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Feels great to know I'm not alone in thinking like this.

Not completely anxious about it, but I do wonder why products are increasingly becoming more detrimental to our lives. This shows how much the citizens' health are really taken in consideration.

Could have in part to do with the fact that the government tells companies what they can and can't do in regards to "environmental standards". ;)