PDA

View Full Version : What's this stuff

BillyDkid
01-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I heard Naomi Wolf talking somewhere about them changing the oath that servicemen take for an oath to protect and defend the Constitution to and oath to serve the Commander in Chief. Is this correct? Have you heard this?

Deborah K
01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Can you post a link from where you heard her say this? I know her, I'll ask her how she knows this, but not until I find out if she actually said it.

heavenlyboy34
01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Can you post a link from where you heard her say this? I know her, I'll ask her how she knows this, but not until I find out if she actually said it.

You know Natalie? Tell her I liked her interview with LRC last year. :D

Deborah K
01-27-2009, 09:22 AM
You know Natalie? Tell her I liked her interview with LRC last year. :D

Natalie who? I know Naomi Wolf. She was one of our speakers at the revolution march.

zach
01-27-2009, 09:28 AM
If someone said that, then it would seriously suck.

Considering that an amendment is kinda being pushed to further the Presidential term, this could seriously be bad if both actually came into being.

TonySutton
01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
The enlistment oath has always stated:

“I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

It is outlined in the US Code

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/502.html

Edit: Officers take a different oath. The standard Oath of Office

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

This does not include any allegiance to the President of the United States, rather it is solely to the Constitution.

Deborah K
01-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Can't they just be conscientious objecters if this takes place? I know it's a little different but, it's allowed for combat so why not an oath?