PDA

View Full Version : Unbelivable attack on Milton Freeman and Free markets

Man from La Mancha
09-12-2007, 09:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kieyjfZDUIc

Unbelivable attack on free markets!! The pr war is heating up. Are there any Milton fans out there that can comments on this? Unf******* believable.

mdh
09-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Friedman.

ThePieSwindler
09-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Once again, an example of someone who does not realize that it is corporatism that is driving America, not free market captialism. It seems like the whole premise of the book is a post hoc fallacy, namely that because these "disaster zones" have occured, it must be the result of the "capitalists" tied to them, thus the underlying principles are obviously corrupt. Can't wait to see a mises review of this book, not that mises.org is a Milton Friedman backer per se...

She is essentially right in that disasters are used for political gain to take our rights, etc, but mistakes an economic system as the perpetrator. Then again, she is specifically attacking Friedman's idea of shocking a nations economy. I dont think he meant it to spread imperialistically...

quickmike
09-12-2007, 09:53 PM
What is this propoganda bullshit? LOL

RP4ME
09-12-2007, 09:56 PM
I couldnt stomach the video.....but i think i get the gist - yes I have in the past been confused by what we have in the US and mistankingly thinking of that as true capitilism all teh while beliveing in something that wa sjust not adding up in my head bone. I get the difference. Who is this Naomi chick??
I ahvent read any Milton friedmon am reading Hayek now....interesting.

hells_unicorn
09-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Considering how much attention this video is getting, I think it prudent to wage a blitz against this video and get it's ratings down. I already one starred this BS and I hope the rest of you will too.

Spike Kojima
09-12-2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kieyjfZDUIc

Unbelivable attack on free markets!! The pr war is heating up. Are there any Milton fans out there that can comments on this? Unf******* believable.

How can someone put so much effort into something without having a basic understanding of it.
What America and most of the world has now are not free markets its mercantilism, corporatism and managed trade..

Free markets are the natural order of things, its what happens humans are allowed to interact without oppressive government telling them what they can do with their own property.

ThePieSwindler
09-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Well lets actually examine and rebut the points made in the video etc. The main issue that is brought up in the book, apparently, is that certain lands after disasters are sold off to companies (often under no-bid contracts, like in Iraq, which she uses as an example) to develop. This is an issue we talk about already, how it is essentially government assisting corporations to meet an end, thus it is essentially corporatism.

spiteface
09-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah, every time there's a disaster the government divests itself of power, and let's us flounder helplessly in freedom. This book should be a hit in sociology departments everywhere. "Crisis and Leviathan" by Robert Higgs is a great book in a similar vein. You might guess that "Leviathan" in his book is NOT the free market.

ThePieSwindler
09-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow just watched the video. She talks about how milton's free market ideas "send prices soaring, raise unemployment, and make life more precarious for millions". Nevermind, what a load of horseshit. I thought it would be slightly appealing to the intellect, and then could be rebutted thorugh a carefully thought out arguement, but that statement right there disqualifies this short film IMO, since anyone who knows a thing or two about economics knows that it is the OPPOSITE of those statements that is true. How the fuck do prices go UP in a free market economy? The critiques ive seen of free markets are generally about the people "left behind" and the "social injustices" but ive never seen anything about it "raising prices". Wow. Garbage.

Slugg
09-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I wish her brain had to compete in the free market, it'd go out of business.

ThePieSwindler
09-12-2007, 10:10 PM
She also takes alot of what he says completely out of context.

ThePieSwindler
09-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Ah the irony of one of the quotes on there:

"excellent documentary , Ron Paul in 2008!"

Mitt Romneys sideburns
09-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Oh...

My...

Google...

Had I never heard of Friedman before, and only knew about him from this video, I would be under the impression that his main body of work was in researching how to torture people with electricity.

How many people did Che Guevara kill again? I forgot.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
09-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Wait, I think I figured it out. its a hoax. One of the comments explains it best:

"What a shocking video about how shock makes us gullible!"

Mitt Romneys sideburns
09-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Oh boy, her stuff just keeps getting better and better

"contrary to popular belief and criticisms, the Bush administration did have a clear plan for post-invasion Iraq, which was to build a fully unconstrained free market economy."

RP4ME
09-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Yall should post these comments on you tune.....battle for the head bone.....

Mitt Romneys sideburns
09-12-2007, 11:08 PM
http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/4390

Theres a link to a debate between this woman, and a woman who writes for The Economist.

As I expected, it took all of 3 seconds for this woman to go on the attack. She spends her entire opening statement attacking The Economist. Never once backed up her own argument. Sometimes she thought she got out a real zinger, and waited a couple of seconds for a cheer that never came.