PDA

View Full Version : We invested $1 million in lobbying and gained $4.5 billion for bicycling and walking.

IPSecure
01-26-2009, 03:34 AM
To increase federal support for bicycling, we meet regularly with members of Congress and the administration. We tout the significant societal benefits of bicycling and promote legislation that supports it. In addition, we retain a lobbying firm—Tongour Simpson Holsclaw and Cooney—to help craft messages and build stronger relationships with key U.S. senators and representatives.

Our Washington, D.C., clout grows each year. Bikes Belong’s coordinated lobbying efforts have helped increase annual federal spending on bicycle facilities from a mere $2 million to $1 billion. In the last federal transportation law (SAFETEA-LU), we invested $1 million in lobbying and gained $4.5 billion for bicycling and walking. We’re making sure leaders on Capitol Hill recognize the bike industry as an important employer and see bike funding as a solid investment with health, community, congestion reduction, and air quality benefits.

http://www.bikesbelong.org/node/30

I am not part of the 'We', just quoting...

Revolution Solution: We raise $1 million for lobbying, which will take it to $4.5 Billion, which should be almost enough for Dr. Paul 2012!

Knightskye
01-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Smells like pork.

Truth Warrior
01-26-2009, 05:02 AM
Gee, a 4,500% return on the investment. It truly is the best government that money can buy. :p :rolleyes:

Chester Copperpot
01-26-2009, 08:03 AM
To increase federal support for bicycling, we meet regularly with members of Congress and the administration. We tout the significant societal benefits of bicycling and promote legislation that supports it. In addition, we retain a lobbying firm—Tongour Simpson Holsclaw and Cooney—to help craft messages and build stronger relationships with key U.S. senators and representatives.

Our Washington, D.C., clout grows each year. Bikes Belong’s coordinated lobbying efforts have helped increase annual federal spending on bicycle facilities from a mere $2 million to $1 billion. In the last federal transportation law (SAFETEA-LU), we invested $1 million in lobbying and gained $4.5 billion for bicycling and walking. We’re making sure leaders on Capitol Hill recognize the bike industry as an important employer and see bike funding as a solid investment with health, community, congestion reduction, and air quality benefits.

http://www.bikesbelong.org/node/30

Revolution Solution: We raise $1 million for lobbying, which will take it to $4.5 Billion, which should be almost enough for Dr. Paul 2012!

lobbyist sucks... and so do you if youre part of it.. Thanks for robbing me and everybody else of $4.5 billion.

Its more than $4.5 billion because we had to borrow that money from the fed, so thanks for the extra $225 Million a year of interest being tacked on.

IPSecure
01-26-2009, 08:08 AM
lobbyist sucks... and so do you if youre part of it.. Thanks for robbing me and everybody else of $4.5 billion.

Its more than $4.5 billion because we had to borrow that money from the fed, so thanks for the extra $225 Million a year of interest being tacked on.

Agreed, so how do we stop lobbyists?

raystone
01-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Lobbying is a constitutionally protected activity. It's the politicians that are bought off that need to be exposed, and voted out.

I ran across this recently, looks like a great start... http://www.maplight.org/map/us/legislator

Click on your state, then your congressman. It will probably show how 70-90% of their campaign contributions come from outside their state. Then you can see the zip codes are almost all in DC.

Chester Copperpot
01-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Agreed, so how do we stop lobbyists?

Will strict adherence to the constitution prohibits it IMO... But the only way to probably stop it is to stop giving them a big pie in DC to try and get slices out of.

angelatc
01-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Lobbying is a constitutionally protected activity. It's the politicians that are bought off that need to be exposed, and voted out.

I ran across this recently, looks like a great start... http://www.maplight.org/map/us/legislator

Click on your state, then your congressman. It will probably show how 70-90% of their campaign contributions come from outside their state. Then you can see the zip codes are almost all in DC.

Ron Paul got 98% from outside his district. :)

Epic
01-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Gee, a 4,500% return on the investment. It truly is the best government that money can buy. :p :rolleyes:

Try a 450000% return. Now thats impressive.

raystone
01-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Ron Paul got 98% from outside his district. :)

I forgot to point that out. Of course, it's an anomoly based on his presidential run. You can tell because, unlike other elected officials whos' funds come from DC, Dr. Paul's come from states across the country.

tremendoustie
01-26-2009, 11:09 AM

That's 4,500 times, or 450,000% :). I have to say, that beats any rate of return I've ever gotten.