PDA

View Full Version : Outreach: National ID card for ALL firearms owners.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Ok, here's the canary in the coal mine, HR 45.

Also contained in the bill is the requirement to notify the AG of any address change, failure to comply would result in prison term up to 2 years.

Let this camel stick it's nose into the tent, and that will be the end of any meaningful firearms rights. Once having passed, the fees and regulatory hoops will increase to the point of being all but impossible to comply with, except for the wealthy and well-connected.

This bill also gives the AG unlimited power to ban the sale and transfer of any weapon or class of weapons he sees fit. While confiscation is not in this bill, what would happen in the future is an amendment to the law would make any possession of a "disqualified" firearm a de facto violation of the licensing scheme, rendering you a criminal and subjecting all your firearms to confiscation.

Also count on the database collection of information to increase and the ID card, or implanted chip, to become increasingly encoded with biometric and tracking capabilities.

So, this thing passes, whatcha' gonna do now, hmmm?

H.R. 45 (Rush) (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c111:1:./temp/~c111RKae1z:e873) This bill would require a license for handguns and semiautomatics, including those currently possessed. The applicant must be thumbprinted and sign a certification that, effectively, the firearm will not be kept in a place where it would be available for the defense of the gun owner’s family. The applicant must also make available ALL of his psychiatric records, pass an exam, and pay a fee of up to $25. The license may be renewed after five years and may be revoked. Private sales would be outlawed, and reports to the attorney general of all transactions would be required, even when, as the bill allows, the AG determines that a state licensing system is sufficiently draconian to substitute for the federal license. With virtually no exceptions, ALL firearms transactions (involving semiautos, handguns, long guns, etc.) would be subject to a Brady check. In addition, the bill would make it unlawful in nearly all cases to keep any loaded firearm for self-defense. A variety of “crimes by omission” (such as failure to report certain things) would be created. Criminal penalties of up to ten years and almost unlimited regulatory and inspection authority would be established.

From Gun Owners of America - the no compromise gun "lobby" (http://gunowners.org/)

Ex Post Facto
01-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Top Link not working...

This is straight BS though. Time to buy a rifle as it appears exempted from this legislation.

JeNNiF00F00
01-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Call me paranoid, but it sounds like they're setting us up. Say violent revolution broke out, the ones with firearms would be sitting ducks.

Ex Post Facto
01-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Call me paranoid, but it sounds like they're setting us up. Say violent revolution broke out, the ones with firearms would be sitting ducks.

Someone on this forum once stated...As soon as you buy one, make sure you lose it somewhere and report it lost.

Matt Collins
01-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Someone on this forum once stated...As soon as you buy one, make sure you lose it somewhere and report it lost.

There is a good post on that here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1758728&postcount=10

Anti Federalist
01-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Top Link not working...

This is straight BS though. Time to buy a rifle as it appears exempted from this legislation.

Ugh, dammit, thomas.gov makes you re-submit or the page expires.

Just go here (http://thomas.loc.gov/) and type in HR 45 into the search box for the bill sections, title and text

fr33domfightr
01-26-2009, 12:44 AM
There was a guy in a city not too far from me who had buried a load of weapons in his backyard. He put them in a large sealed PVC pipe. I don't know what lead authorities to search his backyard, but they found them. I think he lived in Lake Forest or Irvine. So, I guess the moral to the story is, if you're going to bury them, make it someplace way out in the boonies where no one will find them. A cell phone with GPS might come in handy to mark the spot.

FF

Anti Federalist
01-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Another reason I'm not a very big fan of the idea of buried caches.

The primary being, a carefully husbanded weapon is no weapon at all.

There was a guy in a city not too far from me who had buried a load of weapons in his backyard. He put them in a large sealed PVC pipe. I don't know what lead authorities to search his backyard, but they found them. I think he lived in Lake Forest or Irvine. So, I guess the moral to the story is, if you're going to bury them, make it someplace way out in the boonies where no one will find them. A cell phone with GPS might come in handy to mark the spot.

FF

Liberty Rebellion
01-26-2009, 12:59 AM
What a bunch of BS

Here's a link that I think should work for everyone

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45

Anti Federalist
01-26-2009, 01:01 AM
What a bunch of BS

Here's a link that I think should work for everyone

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45

Yah, better link there, thanks.

Matt Collins
01-26-2009, 01:06 AM
HOLY SHIT! That's very very very scary.....

Bman
01-26-2009, 01:11 AM
THis bill has no co-sponsors at the moment. It may be best to keep an eye on this but not voice concern over until it starts gathering any type of steam.

Anti Federalist
01-26-2009, 01:16 AM
HOLY SHIT! That's very very very scary.....

To be accurate, and to keep the "prag" crowd from calling me a fear monger or some such, the bill is now sitting in committee with no current co-sponsors, so it would seem that it's not likely to go anywhere.

I suspect what's happening is that this bill, and others like it that are sure to follow, are being put into place to be trotted out and passed in the immediate wake of some mass shooting, much like the PATRIOT Act was trotted out 8 days after 9/11, the bulk of that abomination mostly being bills that had failed to pass all through the '90's.

Matt Collins
01-26-2009, 01:17 AM
From the bill:

The term `qualifying firearm'--

`(A) means--

`(i) any handgun; or

`(ii) any semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device; and

`(B) does not include any antique.'.

Everything other than a shotgun or rifle falls under this

(1) IN GENERAL- It shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to possess a qualifying firearm on or after the applicable date, unless that person has been issued a firearm license--

If you don't get a license to own a gun, you won't be allowed to (unless it's a shotgun or a rifle)

(a) In General- In order to be issued a firearm license under this title, an individual shall submit to the Attorney General (in accordance with the regulations promulgated under subsection (b)) an application, which shall include--

(1) a current, passport-sized photograph of the applicant that provides a clear, accurate likeness of the applicant;

(2) the name, address, and date and place of birth of the applicant;

(3) any other name that the applicant has ever used or by which the applicant has ever been known;

(4) a clear thumb print of the applicant, which shall be made when, and in the presence of the entity to whom, the application is submitted;

(5) with respect to each category of person prohibited by Federal law, or by the law of the State of residence of the applicant, from obtaining a firearm, a statement that the individual is not a person prohibited from obtaining a firearm;

(6) a certification by the applicant that the applicant will keep any firearm owned by the applicant safely stored and out of the possession of persons who have not attained 18 years of age;

(8) an authorization by the applicant to release to the Attorney General or an authorized representative of the Attorney General any mental health records pertaining to the applicant;

You must give us all of your personal information and then we'll decide if you can have a license.

Unauthorized Sale or Transfer of a Qualifying Firearm- It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a qualifying firearm to, or for, any person who is not a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, or to receive a qualifying firearm from a person who is not a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, unless, at the time and place of the transfer or receipt--

`(1) the transferee presents to a licensed dealer a valid firearm license issued to the transferee--

`(1) REQUIREMENT- Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a firearm to any person other than such a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with subsection (t).

you are not allowed to sell guns to others.

(a) Failure To Possess Firearm License; Failure To Comply With Qualifying Firearm Sale or Transfer Requirements; Failure To Maintain or Permit Inspection of Records- Section 924(a) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(8) Whoever knowingly violates subsection (aa), (bb), or (dd) of section 922 shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.'.

If you don't comply, a fine and 2 years in jail

Kalifornia
01-26-2009, 01:21 AM
the pace of the assault has become unfathomable.

Im seriously wondering how they could even begin to justify covering something like this with the commerce clause...

ChaosControl
01-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Buy on the blackmarket.

I'd never want the gubmint knowing what I own, they have no right to know what weapons anyone owns.

UtahApocalypse
01-26-2009, 11:09 AM
The day this ever passes the real Revolution will begin. Remember that.

A. Havnes
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
The day this ever passes the real Revolution will begin. Remember that.

I hope so. What the heck is the reason for not being allowed to keep them where you might be able to get them for defence purpouses?!? My cousin keeps one where he can get in case of a break in.

ihsv
01-26-2009, 11:22 AM
You know what this means? This means they're scared of us, plain and simple.

puppetmaster
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
the pace of the assault has become unfathomable.

Im seriously wondering how they could even begin to justify covering something like this with the commerce clause.... Watching the "news" yesterday and heard back to back assault rifle stories and on sunday they play it over and over all day

werdd
01-26-2009, 12:05 PM

This

puppetmaster
01-26-2009, 10:09 PM
This will be happening a lot with the current admin.