PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi says birth control will help economy

Rael
01-25-2009, 10:48 PM
PELOSI SAYS BIRTH CONTROL WILL HELP ECONOMY
Sun Jan 25 2009 22:13:43 ET

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi boldly defended a move to add birth control funding to the new economic "stimulus" package, claiming "contraception will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government."

Pelosi, the mother of 5 children and 6 grandchildren, who once said, "Nothing in my life will ever, ever compare to being a mom," seemed to imply babies are somehow a burden on the treasury.

The revelation came during an exchange Sunday morning on ABC's THIS WEEK.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Hundreds of millions of dollars to expand family planning services. How is that stimulus?

PELOSI: Well, the family planning services reduce cost. They reduce cost. The states are in terrible fiscal budget crises now and part of what we do for children's health, education and some of those elements are to help the states meet their financial needs. One of those - one of the initiatives you mentioned, the contraception, will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So no apologies for that?

PELOSI: No apologies. No. we have to deal with the consequences of the downturn in our economy.

M House
01-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Um, what's wrong with contraception?

sevin
01-25-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure how this will help the economy. Is she saying that if there are less children to take care of, then people will have more money to take care of themselves? I guess that makes sense, but this is one of those issues the government should not be involved in.

M House
01-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Condoms=cheap
Abortion=not

If that's the simple math, I don't really care if they are gonna bail out Trojan.

angelatc
01-25-2009, 11:03 PM
It screws Social Security though, doesn't it!

pinkmandy
01-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Just imagine how much it would have helped the economy if her mother had been on the pill...

orafi
01-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Just imagine how much it would have helped the economy if her mother had been on the pill...

lol. have you ever heard of failed abortions? they take up seats of power in most of the senate and congress, and even the white house. it sure does explain a lot.

pinkmandy
01-25-2009, 11:22 PM
lol. have you ever heard of failed abortions? they take up seats of power in most of the senate and congress, and even the white house. it sure does explain a lot.

Pelosi, Dodd and Frank = Failed Abortions. It all makes sense now...

:D

nobody's_hero
01-26-2009, 03:06 AM

It's not contraception that is a problem, it is the Constitutionality of it all. I seriously doubt the founders were planning on ever having the federal government hand out condoms—much less do it on the back of trillions of dollars of 'stimulating' (no pun intended) fiat dollar bailouts.

HOLLYWOOD
01-26-2009, 03:50 AM
Pelosi needs to go back to focusing in on STERIODS in Major League Baseball!

Let them spend their worthless time pursuing athletes... this way they cannot cause anymore damage to the people or economy.

anaconda
01-26-2009, 03:55 AM

My thoughts exactly.

asimplegirl
01-26-2009, 04:26 AM
doesn't pelosi know that you can go to any health unit as it is and get free birth control??

before I was informed of how bc worked, I used it for a medical condition for about 4 years. I wasn't on any type of financial aid or anything. I just walked in, had an exam, and got a 6 month supply. They made an appointment for the next six months, and off I went. EVERYONE where I grew up went and got it for free at the health unit.

This bill is just dumb.

nobody's_hero
01-26-2009, 05:21 AM
"Free" birth control? Are you sure that somebody isn't paying for it?

asimplegirl
01-26-2009, 05:51 AM
well, sure, someone was paying for it, but not for a teen... to me it was just free.

This is what Pelosi wants though?? A bill that does what is already been being done for years? Does this not seem redundant?

Munier1
01-26-2009, 07:24 AM
We should know by now the kind of problems that occur when government tries to influence individuals' reproduction choices. The results are always bad regardless of the intentions.

Did we forget about China? Look at their record of trying to control the number of children a family should have. First they try to fix things by limiting the number of children to one (even though replacement rate is 2.1). They figure out that that kills the number of workers they have, so then they give benefits to couples who have lots of kids. Pretty soon, they're back where they started with an over-population problem. This is social engineering at its greatest.

Just like the government has no business in telling us whether to save or consume (because it depends on the INDIVIDUAL), it should not send us general messages on what to do with the number of kids we have or when we have them. More importantly, it should not tax us in order to finance these ridiculous objectives. If we need more condoms for the poor (and perhaps we do), then that should be handled by charitable groups.

SnappleLlama
01-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I'm not too crazy about Pelosi and her ilk having any say about family planning.

angelatc
01-26-2009, 08:17 AM

I don't want to government to pay for it.

And futher more, it opens the door to mandatory birth control.

I don't believe the world is too crowded. The area of Texas is about 268,581 square miles. If the world has 6 billion people, each person would gets 1248 square feet, which is larger than every apartment I ever had and my first two houses too.

angelatc
01-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Did we forget about China? Look at their record of trying to control the number of children a family should have. First they try to fix things by limiting the number of children to one (even though replacement rate is 2.1). They figure out that that kills the number of workers they have, so then they give benefits to couples who have lots of kids. Pretty soon, they're back where they started with an over-population problem. This is social engineering at its greatest.

Last time I heard, China was actually leaning libertarian towards mutiple child families. The government won't pay for their "entitlements" like health care or education. As a result, the Chinese rich have multiple kids, while the poor are stuck with only one. Seeing that means Chinese girls are probably from wealthy families, there's going to be some serious social problems resulting from a lack of lower class females.

Munier1
01-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes, I was referring to the way China has done things in the past. I think their current libertarian trends are probably the result of everyone being fed up with the government's schemes in the past, schemes that not only failed to improve things, but in fact made them worse.

angelatc
01-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Yes, I was referring to the way China has done things in the past. I think their current libertarian trends are probably the result of everyone being fed up with the government's schemes in the past, schemes that not only failed to improve things, but in fact made them worse.

It's just market forces at work. People from the poor villages in CHina travel to work illegally to the cities, even though it means sacrificing their "entitlements" simply because working pays better than not working.

lucius
01-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I just responded to josh in another thread, works here as well...

The power-elites created 'peak oil eschatology' along with an array of other Malthusian organizations for the purpose of class-warfare through population reduction.

A series of memoranda produced by the National Security Council provides a microcosm of the power-elites' Malthusian rationale. Entitled Population and National Security: A Review of U.S. National Security Policy 1970-1988, this collections of NSC documents examined the potential corollaries of diminishing demographic expansion in America and rising population growth in the Third World. The memoranda observes that:

"...the United States and its Western Allies are declining as a percentage of world population. Whereas 6 percent f the world's people resided in the United States in 1950, the US accounted for only 5% of the world's population in 1988, and its population is expected to be no more than 4 percent of the world total by the year 2010."

Evidently, this demographic decline held significant ramifications for both NATO and the Warsaw Pact. The memoranda states:

"Declining fertility rates will make it increasingly difficult for the United States and its North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) allies and the Soviet Union and its Warsaw Pact allies alike to maintain military forces at current levels." [you can almost hear Lord Russell's "by diet, injections and injunctions..." social engineering drivel here]

"...exceptionally high fertility rates in the developing world could lead to expanded military establishments in affected countries as a productive alternative to unemployment, and that developing nations may have a built-in momentum to capitalize on unused manpower for purpose of both internal and external security."

I'll let the Michael E. Jones connect the dots, an interesting assessment of the State Department's "foreign aid" polices:

"Decline in fertility and birth rate, in other words, means a decline in national power. If this is true for the United States, it is true for other countries as well. So US "aid" in helping other countries lower their birth rates is really an attempt by the United States to weaken them, as the NSC document and other recently declassified documents make perfectly clear. ~Libido Dominandi: Sexual Liberation and Political Control, 2000.

Like the nations of the world, the power-elite also wage wars, using silent weapons for quiet wars [ie. water fluoridation, vaccinations, general food supply, court injunctions etc...] Theirs, however, are wars of class and their chief opponents are all those who do not occupy their particular layer of socioeconomic strata.

So get busy and make some future patriots...

acptulsa
01-26-2009, 09:05 AM
So, birth control will save the government(s) money. So, this means that 1) people can't afford kids, and 2) they're having them anyway. Is this an admission that the Great Society is a woefully failed policy, or is it just me?

Once upon a time, companies had to pay a man enough to support a family. Between the Great Society paying poor women to have children out of wedlock and the women's liberation movement which still hasn't gotten women equal pay for equal work, but has destigmatized the fatherless household and the childcare/latchkey household where kids hardly know their folks, the whole 'advancement' in terms of rights and opportunities has had quite an effect in adding female wage slaves to the male, a general decline in real wages for 'most everyone, and kids at the mercy of the state for their upbringing.

wizardwatson
01-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Geez, why don't we just kill all the people on welfare too? Why limit it to the unborn?

M House
01-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I have no idea why anyone would be against the birth control idea. I mean of all the useless crap our government has spent money on. Some of you people sound like you really want people popping out kids and not taking the responsibility. Sure the government probably shouldn't pay for it. However, common BC or abortion or welfare. I mean options are options.

ChaosControl
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Hello, cow dung faced pelosi, if you want to lessen the burden on the states, STOP all these damn transfer payments.