PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Anarchists: Greek anarchists pay for senior's torched kiosk

amy31416
01-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Digg link: http://digg.com/world_news/Greek_anarchists_pay_for_senior_s_torched_kiosk?OT C-em-sh2

Direct link: http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=1197837

Agence France-Presse
Published: Tuesday, January 20, 2009

THESSALONIKI, Greece - Two months after her kiosk was torched in local riots an elderly woman from Thessaloniki has received an unlikely cash gift from anarchists to rebuild her life, a press report said on Tuesday.

"As anarchists, we felt we should support a fellow human victimized by blind violence," an organization calling itself Anarchist Initiative said in a statement sent to Eleftherotypia daily.

Protesters throw stones at police during riots outside the Athens' Academy on Dec. 18.
John Kolesidis/Reuters

The anarchists set up a special bank account to support 74-year-old Harikleia Ananiadou and collected 13,000 euros ($18,000 US) for the cause.

"We gave what we could, even beyond our means, because we know that it would be difficult for her to make a new start at her age," initiative member Panagiotis Papadopoulos told Angelioforos daily.

"It was an act of solidarity to a woman who could be our mother," he added.

Ananiadou's kiosk burned down in November during clashes between youths and police on the sidelines of a street demonstration.

The government recently announced compensation packages for business owners who suffered damage in the wave of violence that swept the country in December following the fatal shooting of a teenage boy.

But Ananiadou says she missed out because her kiosk was gutted a month earlier.

"I received only empty promises (from the state) ... I feel very fortunate that these boys came along to help," she said.

© Agence France-Presse 2009

RevolutionSD
01-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Anarchists are the most peaceful people on earth. Still, I have to wonder if these were true anarchists?

Malakai
01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Doesn't much matter to me. Anyone fighting an opressive or corrupt state regime, and doing good in the meantime, deserves my respect.

Same to the cool peoples in Iceland keeping the bonfires going outside the capital building while their gov and bankers tinker with the law inside.

Brassmouth
01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Anarchists are the most peaceful people on earth.

QFT.

Ethical anarchists? That's like saying furry dog, or wet fish. True anarchists, at least.

I consider this another nail pried off the coffin of the word, "anarchy."

t0rnado
01-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Libertarianism and anarchy are both philosophies that respect private property.

danberkeley
01-25-2009, 05:39 PM
When was the last time the cops paid for the door they broke down in order to arrest your ass? :p

Knightskye
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM
When was the last time the cops paid for the door they broke down in order to arrest your ass? :p

Hahahaha.

Andrew-Austin
01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Umm, if you asked the anarchists who were rioting in Greece if they liked capitalism, the answer would be a resounding no. Their not really libertarian minded at all, I think the term autonomism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomism) applies to most of them.

The riots in Greece destroyed much more private property than just this woman's kiosk.

powerofreason
01-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Umm, if you asked the anarchists who were rioting in Greece if they liked capitalism, the answer would be a resounding no. Their not really libertarian minded at all, I think the term autonomism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomism) applies to most of them.

The riots in Greece destroyed much more private property than just this woman's kiosk.

Funny how the Greek State does vast economic damage every day yet its so easily overlooked.

The great thing about left anarchists or anarcho-communists is that they don't want to force you to be a communist. They just want to live in peace in their commune. There are of course fake anarchists, who don't understand the ideology.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2009, 11:54 PM
when was the last time the cops paid for the door they broke down in order to arrest your ass? :p

+1776