PDA

View Full Version : GOP: Should we 'save' the GOP?

clowns789
01-25-2009, 02:36 PM
I want to see what all of you think on the matter. Some people think that after the massive failure in 2008 by the GOP the time is ripe to change it to better reflect the liberty movement's ideals. Others think we should go to third parties or independents. Personally I think we should not worry about the GOP and try to end the two party system by supporting Jesse Ventura in 2012 and have candidates for lower offices ride his coattails as independents or third parties (preferably the former.)

NerveShocker
01-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Naw fuck em.

heavenlyboy34
01-25-2009, 02:44 PM
DESTROY THEM! They're fucking disgusting. :p

tremendoustie
01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
We should try to promote liberty wherever we can, in the GOP, in the democratic party, in the libertarian party, or independently.

We certainly should not give up our efforts in the GOP, but we should also work elsewhere, when other methods are more likely to be successful.

nobody's_hero
01-25-2009, 03:42 PM
I would like to see an end to the two party system in exchange something similar to what they have in Canada; four or five parties breaking each other's balls whenever election time rolls around. That wouldn't be a fool-proof safeguard against tyranny (nothing is), but it could create some speedbumps on the path to it.

lynnf
01-25-2009, 04:44 PM
unless you have some kind of secret weapon to "destroy" the two-party system, look at the 2008 general election votes. there's too many of them!

Dems Reps
Popular vote 69,456,897 59,934,786
Percentage 52.9% 45.7%

we couldn't even take over the Reps in 2008 and you want to take on over twice as many the next time?

lynn

surf
01-25-2009, 04:49 PM
coming from a die-hard libertarian (i.e. Ron Paul republican) i can only say that the oligopoly shared and preserved by the republicrats is nearly unbreakable. therefore, i voted yes as this is the time we will have to take this clusterf#ck called the republican party and take it back. these republicans have not been this vulnerable (for lack of a better term) in nearly a century. and libertarian ideals may be the only chance the republicans have of increasing growth and winning elections - the only thing they care about = in the future

my .02

heavenlyboy34
01-25-2009, 04:49 PM
unless you have some kind of secret weapon to "destroy" the two-party system, look at the 2008 general election votes. there's too many of them!

Dems Reps
Popular vote 69,456,897 59,934,786
Percentage 52.9% 45.7%

we couldn't even take over the Reps in 2008 and you want to take on over twice as many the next time?

lynn

Nature has this weaponry-they're called "entropy" and "evolution". ;):D

heavenlyboy34
01-25-2009, 04:50 PM
coming from a die-hard libertarian (i.e. Ron Paul republican) i can only say that the oligopoly shared and preserved by the republicrats is nearly unbreakable. therefore, i voted yes as this is the time we will have to take this clusterf#ck called the republican party and take it back. these republicans have not been this vulnerable (for lack of a better term) in nearly a century. and libertarian ideals may be the only chance the republicans have of increasing growth and winning elections - the only thing they care about = in the future

my .02

What a die hard "Libertarian" you are. :rolleyes:

Kalifornia
01-25-2009, 04:56 PM
i say use them when they are useful, and dont when they are not. I think the 'average' republican has the right instincts, he is just badly informed. Unlike most Democrats, who are equally poorly informed, but have the wrong instincts.

AJ Antimony
01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Restoring the party makes sense... but I personally don't care for the major parties. I'd run Independent.

lynnf
01-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Nature has this weaponry-they're called "entropy" and "evolution". ;):D

well, what's taking them so long?

oops, I think they work on the scale of millions of years! takes too long for me, won't make an effect in my lifetime.

lynn

heavenlyboy34
01-25-2009, 05:18 PM
well, what's taking them so long?

oops, I think they work on the scale of millions of years! takes too long for me, won't make an effect in my lifetime.

lynn

Artificial abundance of GOP members due to rigged election and registration laws, plus gerrymandering. :p A nice R3VOLUTION would speed things up a bit. ;):D

AutoDas
01-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes

Infiltrate, destroy, recover.

heavenlyboy34
01-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Yes

Infiltrate, destroy, recover.

Are you a financier who can pay for this? :eek:

tonesforjonesbones
01-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I have been posting on www.rebuildtheparty.ning.com and I decided to give the GOP one more chance. If they continue down the neo con path by putting forth centrists and democrat lite candidates in 2012...i will go either independent or to the Constitution Party. From what's going on at that website..it ain't lookin good. tones

Stary Hickory
01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes and Yes. Pure conservatism is 80% libertarian. I think it would be silly to not see this. Libertarians can give Republicans the moral high ground. And I know that we have a lot of unprincipled leaders in the GOP, but they are far better off than the Democrats.

Pauls' Revere
01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Like i've said before. I'll come back to the GOP when I see people dragged away in handcuffs. Hasn't happened yet. This goes for the Dems too.

Peace&Freedom
01-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Let's not rely on one engine or party vehicle in order to bring back liberty. The solution is to infiltrate both parties, and keep running principled, pro-liberty and libertarian campaigns for a major party nomination as either a Ron Paul Republican (in GOP districts), or a Ron Paul Democrat in Dem districts. Use the existing LP and CP parties as a vetting pool to field the tested, principled candidates, and as a source for activist base support. Infiltrate the main media as well, so eventually we take back the entire establishment.

This was the key different dynamic in Ron Paul's primary run---he couldn't be ignored as he was running right beside the 'big boys,' and could generate his own media (internet, DVD). The media barely headed him off as it is, so if liberty candidaties like that were more the norm, we could break the back of the statist elite. If we go this 'run the table,' whole hog approach across the entire establishment, the wheels will at last come off their truck.

fr33domfightr
01-25-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't think the GOP can be saved by us. You can lead them to water, but you can't make them drink. I'd say, provide compelling reasons for the party to change direction. After that, the membership must decide. We certainly can't force them!

I'd say, vote with them when they do the right thing, and vote against them when they do the wrong thing.

FF