PDA

View Full Version : Question about high schools -

surf
01-24-2009, 01:58 PM
It's been a while since i attended, so i have a question for any parents or students out there. i read where, due to financial difficulties, some Florida high schools were going to cut back to half-time the position of Athletic Director....

my surprise is that such a position - particularly full-time - would exist. so, my question is: is it true that there is now such a position in place in many public schools? watching Friday Night Lights i'm amazed that a full-time football coach is employed rather than just utilizying a PE teacher or math teacher or whatever as it was back-in-the-day (but - this is just a TV show). is this really a common practice?

penguin
01-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Full time Coach, yup we got that plus shrinks, 60 paralegals, department heads, etc, etc and all this for a town of less than 60,000.:mad: Oh did I forget to mention my town's high school ranked in the top ten for number of drop outs. Well worth the $ 6 million plus per year.:rolleyes:

nate895
01-24-2009, 02:20 PM
All the coaches at my school are teachers too. One football coach is also an English teacher, which I found shocking until I found out how bad our English dept. is.

t0rnado
01-24-2009, 02:36 PM
The coaches at my HS are teachers and they get paid bonuses for coaching.

kalami
01-24-2009, 02:38 PM
my school had two full time PE teachers (who didn't coach sports), and then misc teachers would fulfill whatever coaching spots (and get paid for it). Something I'm just reminded of is how our school had it's budget cut from the state so they reacted by turning the heat down in the winter, budget paper, and construct a new soccer field.

TruthisTreason
01-24-2009, 02:41 PM
It's been a while since i attended, so i have a question for any parents or students out there. i read where, due to financial difficulties, some Florida high schools were going to cut back to half-time the position of Athletic Director....

my surprise is that such a position - particularly full-time - would exist. so, my question is: is it true that there is now such a position in place in many public schools? watching Friday Night Lights i'm amazed that a full-time football coach is employed rather than just utilizying a PE teacher or math teacher or whatever as it was back-in-the-day (but - this is just a TV show). is this really a common practice?

My head high school football coach taught Geography. :cool:

Agent CSL
01-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I was in public middle school til halfway through 7th grade, then I was pulled out. That middle school had 2 full time PE teachers, one PE assistant (who stayed in the "office" doing god knows what), and a P/T coach for different sports. This is Washington state about 6 years ago.

powerofreason
01-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Yup we got an athletic director. He doesn't do jack shit either.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
01-24-2009, 04:02 PM
nt

StudentForPaul08
01-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Our sports coaches were either Phys Ed. Staff or disciplinary staff (lunch monitors, Deans etc.)

surf
01-24-2009, 05:20 PM
thanks all. i love sports, i just find the concept of paying for a full-time ad or coach to be somewhat appalling. i do understand paying extra for coaches, but not much. at my HS the coaches were all teachers at the school.

actually, the concept of having an ad is kind of sick. it costs over $18,000 per student in Wa State to teach a kid how to... i don't know, build self-esteem?