PDA

View Full Version : Living in the 18th Century

Scofield
01-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't know about you guys/gals, but I would give just about anything to live in the 18th Century in the days of the founding of our nation. I despise the current state of the nation, and each and every day I die inside a little bit more. Just to spend an afternoon in the time of the Revolution and the days following; chills run down my spine.

I can just picture my family on a farm (not so hard, since my Dad's side of the family were farmers, up until my grandparents died), having actual land and having actual freedom. Nothing would bring me greater happiness than to live, with my family, in those days.

What about you folks? If you had a choice to live in any time period, when would it be?

heavenlyboy34
01-23-2009, 08:56 PM
I don't know about you guys/gals, but I would give just about anything to live in the 18th Century in the days of the founding of our nation. I despise the current state of the nation, and each and every day I die inside a little bit more. Just to spend an afternoon in the time of the Revolution and the days following; chills run down my spine.

I can just picture my family on a farm (not so hard, since my Dad's side of the family were farmers, up until my grandparents died), having actual land and having actual freedom. Nothing would bring me greater happiness than to live, with my family, in those days.

What about you folks? If you had a choice to live in any time period, when would it be?

Early-mid 19th century...I want to hear Jefferson and Jackson speaking the twoof! :D:)

Scofield
01-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Early-mid 19th century...I want to hear Jefferson and Jackson speaking the twoof! :D:)

Yeah, from around the time of the Revolution to pre-Civil War. Those were our glory days (minus the whole slavery thing;)).

nate895
01-23-2009, 08:59 PM
If I get to pick a piece of technology to bring back, I'd pick a tank and go with my family and friends back to the War for Southern Independence. I'd then drive the tank to the nearest Confederate general's headquarters (hopefully Stonewall's, he'd know what to do with it), show off the tank's capabilities, and ask for orders on where me and my crew should drive it.

Edit: After showing off its capabilities in battle by defeating a whole brigade, I will then demand that in order to continue to fight for the Confederacy that each state needs to come up with a plan for gradual emancipation.

Scofield
01-23-2009, 09:11 PM
If I get to pick a piece of technology to bring back, I'd pick a tank and go with my family and friends back to the War for Southern Independence. I'd then drive the tank to the nearest Confederate general's headquarters (hopefully Stonewall's, he'd know what to do with it), show off the tank's capabilities, and ask for orders on where me and my crew should drive it.

Edit: After showing off its capabilities in battle by defeating a whole brigade, I will then demand that in order to continue to fight for the Confederacy that each state needs to come up with a plan for gradual emancipation.

Someone needs to make a time machine (physics be damned!), so this can happen.

It truly is disheartening to think of the type of lifestyle we all could be living, only to shift back to reality and see the dump we live in.

nate895
01-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Someone needs to make a time machine (physics be damned!), so this can happen.

It truly is disheartening to think of the type of lifestyle we all could be living, only to shift back to reality and see the dump we live in.

Sadly, I believe that we are stuck in the modern world. That does not mean that we cannot fight to be free and prosperous once more!!!

Deo Vindice!

Original_Intent
01-23-2009, 09:24 PM
As much of a pessimist as I am, I do believe that our greatest days may be ahead of us.

Not without an awful lot of pain and change (not the Obama brand!) to get there tho.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2009, 09:25 PM

You have no idea how many times I have wished for this exact thing. To be able to go back in time with modern weaponry and deliver it to the Confederacy would be amazing. It would certainly make up for the manpower difference and would radically change where we are in our modern times. I would also do my best to work my way into an advisory role for Jefferson Davis and Lee, Jackson, Longstreet, Beauregard, Hood, Pickett and anyone else I could advise so they could avert those terrible disasters.

Kilrain
01-23-2009, 09:53 PM

I'd have to say that you should "offer it" to Longstreet instead. Remember that Stonewall wanted to equip part of his troops with pikes :o and that he was not really into what you might call modern weapons or tactics.

nate895
01-23-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd have to say that you should "offer it" to Longstreet instead. Remember that Stonewall wanted to equip part of his troops with pikes :o and that he was not really into what you might call modern weapons or tactics.

His Corps was relied on for its speed, and tanks provide speed and firepower to an army. Longstreet was not as daring as Jackson, and the best place to have shown this piece of weaponry off was Jackson's Shenandoah Valley campaign where he was heavily outnumbered. Jackson's cunning and knack for speed is the perfect match for the tank, while Longstreet's caution would deter him from accepting the offer in the first place.

Kilrain
01-23-2009, 10:07 PM
His Corps was relied on for its speed, and tanks provide speed and firepower to an army. Longstreet was not as daring as Jackson, and the best place to have shown this piece of weaponry off was Jackson's Shenandoah Valley campaign where he was heavily outnumbered. Jackson's cunning and knack for speed is the perfect match for the tank, while Longstreet's caution would deter him from accepting the offer in the first place.

I gently disagree. Longstreet was a lot more innovative and "modern" in his way of thinking. But I respect your opinion.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Longstreet was inventive but I believe Jackson would have appreciated the weaponry of today on an equal footing with Longstreet. While Jackson was more Napoleonic in his tactical mindset and more devoted to the weaponry of old, he was also of the mindset to totally destroy an enemy where possible. I believe he would have appreciated the weapons of today that could virtually wipe out an opposing force.

The_Orlonater
01-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I would go back to the Jacksonian era, maybe.