PDA

View Full Version : My open letter to Senator Bob Clegg ("Ron Paul is the most un-American person")

madcat033
09-12-2007, 07:12 PM
I emailed this to New Hampshire state Senator Robert Clegg:

Senator Clegg,

I am writing to you regarding your remarks in the Nashua Telegraph. You called Representative Ron Paul the "most un-American person in this country" as far as you are concerned. Honestly, I find that statement to be disgusting. I am extremely disappointed that an elected Congressman in my state's Senate would go on record with such a remark.

Who, sir, are you to define what is American? Only those with political ideas you approve of are American? Such a line of reasoning is un-American in itself. Free speech and free exchange of ideas are the cornerstones of our democracy. Attempting to discredit opposing viewpoints with ad hominem attacks is un-American. Questioning one's loyalty is a characteristic of tyrannical dictatorships. Such tactics were employed by America's greatest enemies, such as the former Soviet Union. A statement like yours is more fitting of Josef Stalin than George Washington.

Not only is your statement pure demagoguery, and intellectually dishonest (as Ron Paul would say), but it contributes nothing to rational political discourse. I am disappointed that one of my elected representatives would resort to rhetoric and personal attacks rather than confronting the issues themselves. Our next President will have major foreign and domestic policy decisions to make. Therefore, it is vitally important that voters make an informed decision when selecting the 44th President of the United States of America. Your comments are detrimental to our democratic process and merely distract from honest political debate. You owe Congressman Paul an apology for taking a cheap political shot at him and intentionally trying to discredit his candidacy. But more importantly, you owe your constituents an apology for being a poor representative of the Granite State.

Thomas Jefferson once said: "If a book be false in its facts, disprove them; if false in its reasoning, refute it. But for God's sake, let us freely hear both sides if we choose." You have neither disproved Dr. Paul's facts nor refuted his reasoning. Rather, you make ad hominem attacks in an attempt to suppress his message. So I ask you sir, would Thomas Jefferson consider you to be an American?

Sincerely,
Stephen Campbell

What do you guys think? I am considering emailing it to the Nashua Telegraph as well.

chiefsmurph
09-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I love it. Very well written. Nice job. You backed up your argument very well.

0zzy
09-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Wouldn't he be a senator not a congressman? Other than that, great. :)

katao
09-12-2007, 07:17 PM
That is awesome. Hope they print it!

wolv275
09-12-2007, 07:21 PM
very well done, send it

EvilTwinkie
09-12-2007, 07:22 PM
I hope you blog frequently or write for someone. If you dont, you should. That was very well written and very persuasive.

paulitics
09-12-2007, 07:27 PM
wow, I can't believe that guy represents NH, the live free or die state. That was so well written that should be an editorial in the NH newspaper.

madcat033
09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
If I want to submit this to the Nashua Telegraph, should I rephrase it as a letter to the editor about his comment, or send it as an open letter to senator clegg and leave it in the first person? Which would they be more likely to print?