PDA

View Full Version : Obama to GOP: 'I won'

Rael
01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Obama to GOP: 'I won'
By JONATHAN MARTIN & CAROL E. LEE | 1/23/09 2:31 PM EST
Text Size:
President Obama meets with Congressional leaders.
President Obama meets with Congressional leaders in the Roosevelt Room of the White House. From left are House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, House Minority Leader John Boehner and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
Photo: AP

President Obama listened to Republican gripes about his stimulus package during a meeting with congressional leaders Friday morning - but he also left no doubt about who's in charge of these negotiations. "I won," Obama noted matter-of-factly, according to sources familiar with the conversation.

The exchange arose as top House and Senate Republicans expressed concern to the president about the amount of spending in the package. They also raised red flags about a refundable tax credit that returns money to those who don’t pay income taxes, the sources said.

The Republicans stressed that they want to include more middle class tax cuts in the package, citing their proposal to cut the two lowest tax rates — 15 percent and 10 percent — to ten percent and five percent, rather than issue the refundable credit Obama wants.

At another point in the meeting, sources said Obama told the group: “This is a grave situation facing the country.” White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Obama would hold another economic meeting in the White House Saturday for a "broader group."

After Friday's meeting, Democratic and Republican leaders publicly wrangled over the developing stimulus plan.

But perhaps taking a cue from Obama’s “I won” line when Democrats were asked if they were concerned about Republicans blocking the package, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid had a swift one-word answer: “No.”

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the bill was on track for passage by February 16, while Republicans continued to voice their opposition.
See Also

* Why the Gitmo policies may not change
* Blago: Sorry for profanity
* McCain floats Kyl for president

“We expressed our concerns about some of the spending that’s being proposed in the House bill,” House Minority Leader John Boehner said after meeting with Obama.

“How can you spend hundreds of millions of dollars on contraceptives?” Boehner asked. “How does that stimulate the economy?”

Boehner said congressional Republicans are also concerned about the size of the package.

“Government can’t solve this problem,” he said.

Reid said a Congressional Budget Office report that says the stimulus funds won’t be pumped into the economy until 2010 doesn’t provide an accurate picture.

Republicans have used the report to back up their argument against a near $1 trillion package. But Reid said Obama Office of Management and Budget director Peter Orszag told them CBO only analyzed 40 percent of the bill.

He also said Orszag guaranteed “that at least 75 percent of the bill would go directly into the economy within the first 18 months.”

Pelosi suggested that the package, currently at $825 billion, could become even larger.

“It has grown,” Pelosi said, “and we’re still in the process.”

Rep. Eric Cantor of Virginia, the No. 2 House Republican, said Obama’s team was receptive to some Republican ideas about increasing benefits to small businesses. But, he said, “There are some philosophical questions that may not be able to be resolved.”

Some Republican plans were clearly non-starters with the new president, he said – including GOP calls to put off tax hikes during the recession. “He rejected that out of hand and said we couldn’t have any hard and fast rules like that,” said Cantor.

Feenix566
01-23-2009, 03:35 PM
So much for bipartisanship.

Original_Intent
01-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Does anyone else sense that things are going to get very ugly in the next few months?

Anti Federalist
01-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Boehner said congressional Republicans are also concerned about the size of the package.

“Government can’t solve this problem,” he said.

Then why the fuck were republicans voting for and signing the $850B bailout?

Two bit hustlers, the whole miserable lot of them.

Nothing but cheap theater.

Kludge
01-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Does anyone else sense that things are going to get very ugly in the next few months?

Hmmm... I'll equip my sense-enhancing foil and get back to you.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1382/1004216279_0415eed10f.jpg?v=0

Yes. I see a grave. ... Hmm... I sense that someone will starve to death tomorrow. I don't know who, but look for a news story.

Also... sensing... Oh, Goodness! -- There's going to be a large fail... something -- Aaaaahhhh...!!! -- vision is fading.... Feds... counteracting... the... foil.... aaaauaughugh.....

Back off-topic, though. Why did anyone choose to title this article in such a misleading way? The article barely touched on what was mentioned except to say that it indeed happened, and then went into discussion about the bailout. I was expecting to see some controversy and reactions from the "I won" statement, but am now in a sour mood of disappointment and cynicism. Way to go, journalists.

Anti Federalist
01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Killjoy.

EDIT: is that Henry Rollins' dad?

Hmmm... I'll equip my sense-enhancing foil and get back to you.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1382/1004216279_0415eed10f.jpg?v=0

Yes. I see a grave. ... Hmm... I sense that someone will starve to death tomorrow. I don't know who, but look for a news story.

Also... sensing... Oh, Goodness! -- There's going to be a large fail... something -- Aaaaahhhh...!!! -- vision is fading.... Feds... counteracting... the... foil.... aaaauaughugh.....

Back off-topic, though. Why did anyone choose to title this article in such a misleading way? The article barely touched on what was mentioned except to say that it indeed happened, and then went into discussion about the bailout. I was expecting to see some controversy and reactions from the "I won" statement, but am now in a sour mood of disappointment and cynicism. Way to go, journalists.

nobody's_hero
01-23-2009, 05:20 PM
He wonz teh dicktatership.

(insert photo of a cat)

heavenlyboy34
01-23-2009, 05:22 PM
He wonz teh dicktatership.

(insert photo of a cat)

How can I learn to "speak" webebonics as well as you? I don't understand much of it. :(

nobody's_hero
01-23-2009, 05:27 PM
How can I learn to "speak" webebonics as well as you? I don't understand much of it. :(

Actually it annoys the hell out of me. Everytime I see a photo of one of those cats and their cheezburgers, I just —aargh!

But I made an exception for Obama.

devil21
01-23-2009, 05:54 PM
And once again, it's all "stimulus" and "tax cuts" and not one word about SPENDING CUTS.

angelatc
01-23-2009, 06:10 PM
The President isn't even supposed to introduce legislation. He is supposed to sign it.

angelatc
01-24-2009, 12:47 PM
http://volokh.com/posts/1232821591.shtml

True, but Obama won by, among other things, promising a net decrease in federal spending. Here he is during the third debate: "what I've done throughout this campaign is to propose a net spending cut.... What I want to emphasize ... is that I have been a strong proponent of pay-as-you-go. Every dollar that I've proposed, I've proposed an additional cut so that it matches."

Obama would have a much better case for Republican deference to his spending plans if he had actually campaigned in favor of the most massive increase in federal spending, ever, instead of as a budget-cutter.

pinkmandy
01-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Then why the fuck were republicans voting for and signing the $850B bailout?

Two bit hustlers, the whole miserable lot of them.

Nothing but cheap theater.

I agree. I just want them stfu and stop pretending like they're crusaders for small govt and sound economic policy. Let them hurry up and totally bankrupt the country so it can fall apart and we can get started on really fixing it.

Anti Federalist
01-24-2009, 01:17 PM
I agree. I just want them stfu and stop pretending like they're crusaders for small govt and sound economic policy. Let them hurry up and totally bankrupt the country so it can fall apart and we can get started on really fixing it.

Amen, sister.

pinkmandy
01-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Amen, sister.

See ya in camp. :D

Theocrat
01-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Obama bragging that he won the Presidency is like an excited child who won a sinking ship in a contest and stares out from the pier holding Band-Aids in his hand.

HOLLYWOOD
01-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Oh, Another 'CRAP SANDWICH' of John Boehner?

GOP IDIOTS... John CRAP SANDWICH McCain was put on a pedestal... trying to make the biggest loser the leader. Shows the GOP morons and the MSM money masters don't have a clue.

Now where's that motivational poster for the Boehner, McCain, Pence? FUTILITY