PDA

View Full Version : Obama signs executive order for Gitmo to be shutdown within a year

jbrace
01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/22/guantanamo.order/index.html

What do you all think about this?

surf
01-22-2009, 03:12 PM
what happened to "120 days"?

Aldanga
01-22-2009, 04:01 PM
If it happens, I'll be pleased, but I don't honestly expect it to happen.

Isaac Bickerstaff
01-22-2009, 04:05 PM
The reason Gitmo existed was for the W. administration to sidestep the Constitution. Obama is all about openly defying the Constitution, therefore he will bring all of the unconstitutional torture and such right to American soil, thus, no more need for Gitmo.

constitutional
01-22-2009, 04:25 PM

Any president would have done this, even McCain wanted to close down Gitmo. Guantanamo had become a symbol of torture that had to be put down.

A RP president would close almost all prisons around the world.

raystone
01-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Repeat this phrase - "Obama is nothing but brilliant political rhetoric and maneuvering".

The detentions will continue at a handful of yet unnamed military bases in the U.S.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/wire.php?view=2024

Matt Collins
01-22-2009, 04:40 PM
The detentions will continue at a handful of yet unnamed military bases in the U.S.That's my guess. I don't know for sure, but having an idea of how all of this (the government, politicians, media etc) works, they will probably close GTMO and move it to somewhere more secret, more obscure, and more hidden. I would like to think otherwise but I'm skeptical not only by nature but my exeprience; and we should all be.

TrueFreedom
01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Any president would have done this, even McCain wanted to close down Gitmo. Guantanamo had become a symbol of torture that had to be put down.

Actually according to CNN's news article on this, Obama not only shut down Gitmo but also all other CIA secret prisons overseas.

Now if you want to jump on conspiracy and say that the news agencies are lying or that the government will still have secret prisons to torture and won't tell us, or something like that, well I can't negate such a thing. But as far as closing them, it has apparently happened.

On his second full day in office, Obama moved to reverse some of the most contentious policies of his predecessor, George W. Bush.

By ordering shut the prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, closing any remaining CIA secret prisons overseas and banning harsh interrogation practices, Obama said he was signaling that the U.S. would confront global violence without sacrificing "our values and our ideals."

constitutional
01-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Actually according to CNN's news article on this, Obama not only shut down Gitmo but also all other CIA secret prisons overseas.

Now if you want to jump on conspiracy and say that the news agencies are lying or that the government will still have secret prisons to torture and won't tell us, or something like that, well I can't negate such a thing. But as far as closing them, it has apparently happened.

On his second full day in office, Obama moved to reverse some of the most contentious policies of his predecessor, George W. Bush.

By ordering shut the prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, closing any remaining CIA secret prisons overseas and banning harsh interrogation practices, Obama said he was signaling that the U.S. would confront global violence without sacrificing "our values and our ideals."

Please provide the quote from CNN supporting the following statement: "Obama not only shut down Gitmo but also all other CIA secret prisons overseas."

Paulitician
01-22-2009, 04:51 PM

Agreed. I've started to see Obama's actions as trying to rescue the empire (or its image most likely), not get rid of it.

Danke
01-22-2009, 04:52 PM
I wonder if he will get the CIA out of the drug smuggling business too.....nah.

TrueFreedom
01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Please provide the quote from CNN supporting the following statement: "Obama not only shut down Gitmo but also all other CIA secret prisons overseas."

Here is an AP article on yahoo's frontpage with the same quote.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090122/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_rdp

"On his second full day in office, Obama moved to reverse some of the most contentious policies of his predecessor, George W. Bush.

CzargwaR
01-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Great news,

+1 to Obama for that.

tremendoustie
01-22-2009, 11:55 PM

Credit where credit's due, it's a great thing for america. There are prisoners of war, and there are criminals. There is no such thing as an enemy combatent.

I think they're criminals, and they should be brought to the U.S. and tried based on evidence, or released.