PDA

View Full Version : Tim Giethner and Turbo Tax

Nanerbeet
01-22-2009, 02:04 AM
In his testimony on Capitol Hill, Tim attributed his tax error to using "TurboTax" and as I read this, I was like "WTF Turbo Tax would have found that error!! You're so busted!!"

And made me think of the movie Sneakers, when Liz (actress Marry McDonnell) was under suspicion of stealing Dr. Werners Brandes identity during their blind date to break into the toy company. After security finished asking questions, she was released and said something along the lines of "That's the last time I use a computer dating service..."

At that moment she was busted because Cosmo knew a computer service would never match these two-- anyhow, Tim's Turbo Tax testimony totally reminded me of that.

Intuit even released a statement defending the accuracy of their software!!

So I was thinking it would be great idea to take that segment from the original video and dub over it with speach from Tim's testimony. ;)

Flirple
01-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Yeah I bet TurboTax was just thrilled to have it's name mentioned in this controversy.

kathy88
01-22-2009, 06:10 AM
He'll be Sec of Treasury anyway. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

nobody's_hero
01-22-2009, 06:36 AM
He meant to say Tyrant Tax™. I'm sure Turbo Tax is pretty upset at his slip-up, though.

mport1
01-22-2009, 06:56 AM
The fact that he didn't pay some taxes is the best thing about this dude. I respect anyone who is brave enough to purposefully not pay taxes.

Conza88
01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
The fact that he didn't pay some taxes is the best thing about this dude. I respect anyone who is brave enough to purposefully not pay taxes.

But he's not paying it out of a principled stand, he has no large fear of reprisal, as long as he doesn't piss of certain people in Washington... I guess :confused:

Austin
01-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Ron Paul said it nicely, that they will ask some serious questions so that they appear to be grilling him, but he is going to be accepted no matter what.

angelatc
01-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Speaking as a person who does taxes....I suspect that Turbo Tax wouldn't catch this error. I still have 2003 - on on my pc, so I'll try it later to be sure. And yes, I heard Beck say he called them.

He didn't skip his income taxes - he skipped his employment taxes.

I've been reading the Senate documents this morning. Geithner didn't get a 1099 - he got a W2, with NONE entered into the boxes where most people show their employment taxes . I have never entered a W2 like that, but I suspect that situation may not have have triggered the employment taxes due like it would if the money was on a 1099.

I don't care though. He got busted doing it wrong, so he paid up 2 years but kept his mouth shut about the earlier years. *And* he filled out all the papers requesting reimbursements for the taxes that he didn't pay, including signing statements promising to pay his taxes.

He's a tax cheat. If he was standing up there criticizing the IRS and promising massive reforms to protect people from making the mistakes he did, (and I believed him!) then I might let it slide. But he's just a con man.

angelatc
01-22-2009, 09:12 AM
But he's not paying it out of a principled stand, he has no large fear of reprisal, as long as he doesn't piss of certain people in Washington... I guess :confused:

Exactly. He was only doing it because he's a cheat - not because he thinks it's wrong.

TonySutton
01-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Intuit should sue him for damages

fr33domfightr
01-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Exactly. He was only doing it because he's a cheat - not because he thinks it's wrong.

Exactly!! I would feel much better if he said he thought the taxes were illegal or whatever. However, if he said that, maybe he wouldn't be confirmed either. Now, he seems like a cheat, yet has to be, to be confirmed?!?!

FF

angelatc
01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
OK - Turbo Tax did not tell me that I owed any Medicare or SS Taxes when I filled out a W2 the way the IMF documents say theirs are issued, with NONE in the boxes.