PDA

View Full Version : Obama Signs Executive Order to Close Gitmo

Knightskye
01-21-2009, 09:02 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0122/1232474673357.html

Sweet.

Also, it ought to appease his supporters for awhile.

ClayTrainor
01-21-2009, 09:10 PM
This is good news...

Liberty Rebellion
01-21-2009, 09:16 PM
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1869519,00.html

Roxi
01-21-2009, 09:28 PM
closing gitmo will be good yes, BUT.... first of all he has suspended all hearings/trials til may... im not sure if this is bad or good yet, but if i was an innocent person in gitmo this wouldn't make me happy.

also what about the other hundreds of prisons all over the world that are ran by the US? are we closing those too? no this is just a ploy to make it look like he is "changing" things. also on NPR today i heard them say something like -- there are still a lot of detainees that the CIA says theres not enough evidence to bring them to trial but they are too dangerous to let free.

so what the hell does that mean, ireland has agreed to take some of gitmo's detainees... for what? i mean whats going to happen to these people, thats the real question.

paulitics
01-21-2009, 09:30 PM
This is good, but what about all of the black site prisons and extraordinary rendition that was started under Clinton and continued under Bush?

paulitics
01-21-2009, 09:33 PM
closing gitmo will be good yes, BUT.... first of all he has suspended all hearings/trials til may... im not sure if this is bad or good yet, but if i was an innocent person in gitmo this wouldn't make me happy.

also what about the other hundreds of prisons all over the world that are ran by the US? are we closing those too? no this is just a ploy to make it look like he is "changing" things. also on NPR today i heard them say something like -- there are still a lot of detainees that the CIA says theres not enough evidence to bring them to trial but they are too dangerous to let free.

so what the hell does that mean, ireland has agreed to take some of gitmo's detainees... for what? i mean whats going to happen to these people, thats the real question.

Exactly, gitmo may just be outsourced to other countries, which is truly more sinister than a prison closer to home that can be investigated by ACLU, etc.

AdamT
01-21-2009, 09:50 PM
They are just going to move them somewhere else under less public scrutiny. More "change" while keeping things the same.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
01-21-2009, 10:07 PM
nt

dr. hfn
01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
of course this is the only prison like that, that we know about. probably tens or hundreds more

purplechoe
01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
This is good, but what about all of the black site prisons and extraordinary rendition that was started under Clinton and continued under Bush?

Yes, don't be too excited.

A. Havnes
01-21-2009, 10:43 PM
What about all the other prisons like it?

Expatriate
01-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Maybe the prisoners will end up in these:
http://urbansemiotic.com/2008/06/03/are-uss-warships-serving-as-prison-hulks/

What rules apply to what happens on ships in international waters?

BlackTerrel
01-21-2009, 10:55 PM
I don't know if I like this or not.... How many of the people there are innocent and how many are actually plotting on the destruction of the United States?

RevolutionSD
01-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Good, but mostly symbolic. What happens to all the prisoners? Is anyone going to follow up? They may just be moved to secret prisons somewhere. I doubt this is meaningful unless he also ends the Iraq & Afghanistan wars soon, which we all know is not going to be the case.

Dr.Ransom
01-22-2009, 12:53 AM
I do not care for this at all.. just because of the prospects of what will probably happen..

most people are not aware, but many of those prisoners were taken before the age of adulthood, and they have been treated like adults ever since..

I fear this will be the case in our courts or any courts..

lucius
01-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Fitting, it was clinton's signature that created it...talk about beautiful planning.

idiom
01-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Why not declare them all to be P.O.W.s and then shoot them all for not wearing uniforms?

PlzPeopleWakeUp
01-22-2009, 06:37 PM
nt

lucius
01-22-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm a little confused now after reading this article.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7846229.stm

QFT:
"All overseas CIA detention centres for terror suspects are to close as well, Mr Obama ordered.

He also signed executive orders for a review of military trials for terror suspects and a ban on harsh interrogation methods that critics have said amount to torture.

With Thursday's announcements, Mr Obama has signalled that American diplomacy is under new management, says the BBC's Kevin Connolly in Washington. "

No doubt these are good things for many reasons.

But wait a minute... wtf... What is the CFR globalist angle here?

It's an image-building/pr stunt...we'll just contract it out now to some second/third world shit-hole who feeds at our trough...

paulitics
01-22-2009, 07:35 PM
"By its own admission, the US government is currently detaining at least 26,000 people without trial in secret prisons, and information suggests up to 80,000 have been 'through the system' since 2001. The US government must show a commitment to rights and basic humanity by immediately revealing who these people are, where they are, and what has been done to them."

That's alot of prisoners. I mean a shitload. Its amazing to me how something like this can be kept secret, for so long. You think these people would have friends and family that would raise hell and get this out in the open. And how are they able to kidnap so many people in the dark of night, without mass casualties?
It's kind of like Japanese internment camps, or genocide in Korea, or Unit 731, where decades later the extent of the atrocities comitted by the govts are known, and they are always 10 times worse than originally rumored.

lucius
01-22-2009, 07:42 PM
"By its own admission, the US government is currently detaining at least 26,000 people without trial in secret prisons, and information suggests up to 80,000 have been 'through the system' since 2001. The US government must show a commitment to rights and basic humanity by immediately revealing who these people are, where they are, and what has been done to them."

That's alot of prisoners. I mean a shitload. Its amazing to me how something like this can be kept secret, for so long. You think these people would have friends and family that would raise hell and get this out in the open. And how are they able to kidnap so many people in the dark of night, without mass casualties?
It's kind of like Japanese internment camps, or genocide in Korea, or Unit 731, where decades later the extent of the atrocities comitted by the govts are known, and they are always 10 times worse than originally rumored.

You have an excellent observation here. One thing that comes to mind is that the media consolidation that was so painfully obvious in america, was actually just a facet of a greater world-wide phenomena, ie. a global media consolidation.