PDA

View Full Version : Are Fix-it tickets a violation of property rights?

socialize_me
01-21-2009, 06:19 PM
It seems to me they are. Where does some third-party like a cop get off pulling me over and telling me I have to pay to change something on my own car?? To me this is very similar to zoning where local governments get off telling you whether you can or can't build a fence on your own fucking lawn.

So any thoughts on this??

nobody's_hero
01-21-2009, 06:44 PM
I have a big problem with residential requirements. Most of these are brought about because some jackass old farts want to form a homeowner's association in your subdivision and don't want you to have any say in it (or 'covenants'). Sometimes these things get way out of hand, like when you can't have any cars in your driveway (they must be inside the garage) and you cannot have a basketball goal.

As far as 'fix-it' tickets on your car, the biggest problem I have with those is that some officer will pull you over for having a busted turn-signal lens but they won't get the guy in front of you who cut you off without using his signal which works just fine. :mad:

Knightskye
01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
It seems to me they are. Where does some third-party like a cop get off pulling me over and telling me I have to pay to change something on my own car?? To me this is very similar to zoning where local governments get off telling you whether you can or can't build a fence on your own fucking lawn.

So any thoughts on this??

Brake light? Blinker?

It could make you a hazard to other drivers. If it was your house, then I'd have a problem with it, because (most) people don't drive their house down the highway.

mconder
01-21-2009, 07:56 PM
First off, roads should all be privatized. Then people would pay for the roads through tolls or some other arrangement. This would place everyone driving on public roads under some sort of contract to use the private roads. Some roads may have different safety requirements than others. Some may be more policed than others. The point is, through contract law, people are made safe and free. You'd be free to travel unsafe/policed private roads or travel safe roads. Personally, I would prefer the unsafe ones with fewer restrictions...I like to go fast.

Goldwater64
01-23-2009, 07:29 PM
As things are now...they aren't. In a perfect world with privatized roads, they would be.

As for now, you have to follow certain rules to drive on public (ie government owned) roads. As long as roads are public (government owned), the government can, sadly, tell you what to do when on them.

It isn't a property right violation because if you just had the property (the car) on private land, then they couldn't ticket you. The ticket isnt actually for the defect, but rather for driving on a government owned road with that defect.