PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment numbers

tangent4ronpaul
01-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Remember the recent jump in unemployment numbers and it being used for justification to throw money at the problem and create government jobs?

Well, as you might recall - the Bush administration changed the definition of "unemployed" from those without a job to only those receiving unemployment insurance - something that runs out fairly quickly.

ie:
receiving unemployment insurance = unemployed and counted
having exhausted unemployment insurance and still not working = you don't exist
having exhausted unemployment insurance and working 1-3 part time jobs to try make ends meet = employed
still have a job = employed

Now in the past month or so there was talk and I thought legislation on the house floor to temporarily increase the amount of time people can receive unemployment insurance. I THINK something was passed into law. (anyone know?). So that means that more people will be counted as being "unemployed" - hence an increase in the unemployment numbers... remember this increase is being used as a pre-text to push more bailouts. And since it's supposed to be a temporary measure - those numbers will go down later when the temporary assistance goes away. (If I'm right) Which will of course be announced as the bailouts "working" to revitalize the economy...

Isn't it great how these things work? :rolleyes:

-t

heavenlyboy34
01-21-2009, 02:57 PM
don't know the details of that, but it wouldn't surprise me. :P