PDA

View Full Version : My Money & Banking professor is libertarian!!!

malkusm
01-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I went to my Money & Banking class expecting to be completely disappointed. Micro and macroeconomics here have been completely Keynesian, deficit spending and active fiscal policy is good! I pretty much expected this class to be a ringing endorsement of Fed policies in the recent economy.

Lucky for me, I have a libertarian professor! Okay, so I don't know he's libertarian....but he did say Obama was "pretty much an idiot" economically, that both sides "have no idea what they are doing," and that "today's economy is a clear indication that we need to rethink active Fed policy."

Plus the guy has a great sense of humor....maybe this class will actually teach people something!

Side note: The whole class got pretty quiet when he started calling Obama an idiot....me and my roommate were the only ones chuckling and nodding. :D

malkusm
01-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh, he also said that he "chose to use the alternate version of the textbook" because it "doesn't have all that Keynesian crap in it."

pooflinger1488
01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
It's great when you know professors are Libertarian! You learn a shit ton more. I've had two so far that were and we are pretty close.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-21-2009, 12:57 PM
I had a math professor who was a Ron Paul supporter. I would stay after and chat with her and she ended up getting quite vocal in class about her support of Ron Paul. She had decided to cast her vote for McCain (because of a fear of Obama) but by the end of the semester after many bull sessions after class she was announcing that she was voting third party because otherwise was just falling into the dual party trap.

UtahApocalypse
01-21-2009, 01:17 PM
wow.... that is awesome!!

danberkeley
01-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Actually, it sounds like your professor is an Austrian economist, not a libertarian.

Uriel999
01-21-2009, 01:23 PM
nice, good to see you found a good professor. keep us informed of his pwning obama

ShannonOBrien
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
That is exciting! Keep us updated on what happens in your class. I am especially interested in the student reactions.

trey4sports
01-21-2009, 01:58 PM
dude, my public admin teacher is anti-keyne as well. I asked him if he liked Ron Paul and he said yeah, with a couple exceptions to some things (cia and complete gold standard)

malkusm
01-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Actually, it sounds like your professor is an Austrian economist, not a libertarian.

I stopped short of saying he was an Austrian, because while he said that active fiscal/monetary policy isn't working, so did Friedman, who was of the Chicago school. I haven't heard enough to say that he's an Austrian, but politically, since he doesn't support either party and believes in free markets, I'm almost certain he's libertarian. (NOT necessarily with a capital L.)

StudentForPaul08
01-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Oh, he also said that he "chose to use the alternate version of the textbook" because it "doesn't have all that Keynesian crap in it."

HOLY &$&#! my Macro teacher is a Keynesian. MY TEXTBOOK IS BY PAUL KRUGMAN!

/die

You are so lucky.

danberkeley
01-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I stopped short of saying he was an Austrian, because while he said that active fiscal/monetary policy isn't working, so did Friedman, who was of the Chicago school. I haven't heard enough to say that he's an Austrian, but politically, since he doesn't support either party and believes in free markets, I'm almost certain he's libertarian. (NOT necessarily with a capital L.)

Going off your OP, he sounded more like an Austrian Economist than a libertarian. But yeah, you know him better than I do.

malkusm
01-21-2009, 02:24 PM
HOLY &$&#! my Macro teacher is a Keynesian. MY TEXTBOOK IS BY PAUL KRUGMAN!

/die

You are so lucky.

My macro teacher was a Keynesian last semester and I never went to class, mostly because I didn't want to snap and yell at him when he said things like "The question is not whether the government should provide unemployment benefits, but how much...." :rolleyes:

But remember, all is not lost.

StudentForPaul08
01-21-2009, 02:37 PM
My macro teacher was a Keynesian last semester and I never went to class, mostly because I didn't want to snap and yell at him when he said things like "The question is not whether the government should provide unemployment benefits, but how much...." :rolleyes:

But remember, all is not lost.

I dont know what to do. I mean I cant read from the book its by Kurgman, and I hate the class, I might have to stomach it and pass.

On another note in my International Relations class, the teacher asked "What caused the great depression" and a girl said "Hoover did by not doing anything, he was a very "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" kind of guy"....
......THE TEACHER AGREED.

I was half way off my seat about to go crazy....I had to control myself.......

I hate institutionalized education.....ughhhh....

4RP08inKCMO
01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Today my Marketing professor jokingly referred to himself as a "capitalist pig" and even said, "Love your country. Fear your government."

RCA
01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
what school?

danberkeley
01-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Today my Marketing professor jokingly referred to himself as a "capitalist pig" and even said, "Love your country. Fear your government."

My english profesor praised Lincoln for freeing the slaves yesterday. I was about to tell him that Lincoln was a racist and wanted to ship the slaves back to their homeland in Africa.

malkusm
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I dont know what to do. I mean I cant read from the book its by Kurgman, and I hate the class, I might have to stomach it and pass.

Think of it as a study of Keynesian economics, and with every class write down the things that the professor said that you disagree with or see flaws with. That way, you not only learn the Keynesian viewpoint (which will get you through the class), but also how to develop arguments against them (although you probably have arguments from hanging around here).

That's what I did and I got an A in the class....well, I didn't go to the class really, but I did that while reading the textbook :D

StudentForPaul08
01-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Think of it as a study of Keynesian economics, and with every class write down the things that the professor said that you disagree with or see flaws with. That way, you not only learn the Keynesian viewpoint (which will get you through the class), but also how to develop arguments against them (although you probably have arguments from hanging around here).

That's what I did and I got an A in the class....well, I didn't go to the class really, but I did that while reading the textbook :D

My teacher is from Africa and has a strong accent. So there is obstacle one.

I could just read the book but seeing the word "Paul Krugman" on it makes my stomach turn. haha.

malkusm
01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
My teacher is from Africa and has a strong accent. So there is obstacle one.

I could just read the book but seeing the word "Paul Krugman" on it makes my stomach turn. haha.

Heh, my teacher was from Africa too....another reason I didn't go to the class very much :D Apparently they only teach Keynesian economics in Africa.

dr. hfn
01-21-2009, 04:09 PM
holy shit! thats amazing, a non-liberal non-keynesian prof!
I want to go to your school!

malkusm
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
what school?

Virginia Tech

holy shit! thats amazing, a non-liberal non-keynesian prof!
I want to go to your school!

No you don't, haha. This is the first one I've found, the others have been pretty much unbearable. Then again, I'm not an econ major, so I can't speak for all of them.....