PDA

View Full Version : Synopsis on Lincolns Pesidency Anyone..?

reduen
01-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Anyone in here an expert on this topic? I have recently started researching this topic but know very little to this point. Obama has said many times over that Lincoln is his role model. It makes sense to me that his presidency would be very similar given this fact…. Is that good or bad?

Anyone..?

Conza88
01-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Anyone in here an expert on this topic? I have recently started researching this topic but know very little to this point. Obama has said many times over that Lincoln is his role model. It makes sense to me that his presidency would be very similar given this fact…. Is that good or bad?

Anyone..?

Picture 600,000 people.

Then picture them all dieing unnecessarily.

Then picture Abe Lincoln being hailed as the savior, the man who saved the union. :rolleyes:

B-a-d.

moostraks
01-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Lincoln was for Americans what Bush is for Iraqis. There is more than one way to skin a cat and his was the wrong way. He destroyed southern culture and economics to promote a northern version of the union. Slavery is wrong, but the freeing of the slaves through his methods(used as propaganda to promote his sainthood) left many who were well cared for destitute and on their own who had been being well cared for previously with true equality not to be seen in their lifetime. You don't aid people by taking away all they have and not giving them reasonable recourse to survive on their own...

These are the few major issues that come to mind right off the top. The further we get from the history the more texts rewrite things to fit generally accepted views of the current time and not the reality of the times events occured. Would look to primary source material and material current to the time in question for a better grasp. Good luck!!!

gaazn
01-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Lincoln is overrated. He almost lost re-election, until the selfishness of Robert E. Lee and the politics of Jeff Davis allowed Sherman to prevail. Davis promoted and kept bad generals, while ignoring the ones who knew how to win the war. Lee wouldn't spare any of his troops to help others who needed them. If Lincoln had lost reelection, history would have viewed him as a failure. Had he lost reelection, McClellan would have still continued the war and the North would have still won. So Lincoln's greatness is almost entirely the result of him winning reelection. Lincoln's death also allowed him to preserve his legacy, while passing the baggage on to the next person Andrew Johnson.

SovereignMN
01-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Picture 600,000 people.

Then picture them all dieing unnecessarily.

Then picture Abe Lincoln being hailed as the savior, the man who saved the union. :rolleyes:

B-a-d.

600k in 1860 would be the equivalent of nearly 6 MILLION people today. Completely barbaric. Complete tyrant.